Started today! Whole 60

GEva

Hi ya'll

I'm starting round 2 on whole 30.. but making it into a whole 60. 

I'm a 37yr old gal, wife, mom of 2 (12 and 10 yrs old), daughter, sister, friend, I work 8 hour days five days a week and was (and still am) in the habit of putting everyone else first. I'm fine with cooking something else for everyone else if need be, but the fam is all in most of the time because the food is fantastic and no one is starving (the kids also eat whatever they feel like).

My dr. actually recommeded Whole30 'diet' to help my body work through inflammation and ailments.  It rocked my world during the first time round, was a whole lot easier than I thought it would or could be and surprisingly I craved the strangest foods, until I figured out that it was my sugerdevil trying to find a way to get some sugar (I craved a hotdog with ketchup.. When I finally ate a hotdog after the W30 it turns out all I wanted was the ketchup!).  I won't lie and say it was the easiest ride, but mostly it was, and I was on such a roll and feeling so fab that when the 30 days were up.. I just added 3 days to it because I felt like it.  After the W30 I was a poster gal for what it does for you, to just take care of yourself a little bit.  Then came summer vacay, driving cross country and eating whatever whenever  - what a sucky idea.. it just sounded soooo good to be able to roll through a drive thru, order in chinese, or just eat popcorn for dinner.. I felt great for a few days but then sluggish again and the inflammation is back - so food actually works for me! 

So.. without much planning I started W60 this morning at 7 o'clock.  Scrambled eggs fried with a small amount of coconut oil and 2 slices of bacon.
Lunchtime rolled around and the galley at work was not working for me so I ventured out to a salad bar, making my own salad with garlic chicken (oven baked - no oils), an egg, peppers, red onion and boiled chilled sweet potatoe and a dressing made with evoo and mango.  As far as I know, everything is a-ok.. Right?

So. Onwards!  

Anyone want to join me?

GEva.

I'm on day 6 and doing ok.  This is my first time on this.  My doctor wants me to do a whole60.  Feels it would be beneficial to my health problems.  So far so good.  I think I miss my afternoon latte the most.  Good job on your first day back.

5 hours ago, Azgirl said:

I'm on day 6 and doing ok.  This is my first time on this.  My doctor wants me to do a whole60.  Feels it would be beneficial to my health problems.  So far so good.  I think I miss my afternoon latte the most.  Good job on your first day back.

So far so good is actually fantastic news! I hope you hang in there when the going gets thougher because it really will get easier and the food is pretty awesome.

I was wondering if i could join your group. I am a bit techno challenged so, I hope I can find you again if you're willing to let me join in.

I just finished my first Whole30 and would like to start again tomorrow because I have not shaken the sugar cravings entirely. I have not felt the "tiger blood" that I hear about and just really want to change my brain and thus my life. I am starting W30 again tomorrow as a friend is bring dinner over tonight and I feel I should eat it. I am not falling off the wagon entirely, however, but know there will be ingredients in her soup that are on the list of what not to eat. 

I have had problems with nuts, fruit, and sweet potatoes. I don't really have a support system here so wanted to reach out to you all for the support I am lacking here at home. It's not that my family and friends are unsupportive, it's just that I need someone to walk along side me on this journey. 

I like the taste of the food  I eat that is W30 approved, in addition to the not measuring, weighing, and counting, that I am willing to eat this way, pretty much, the rest of my life. I struggle with times when I am on the go (which is pretty much Monday - Thursday) and don't have time to fix a meal. My weekends are consumed then with preparing for the next week. So, nuts and fruit are a quick go to when eating on the go, that i eat too much of that. 

I also have something called Intersticial  cystitis (IC) where I can't/shouldn't eat anything that is acidic like lemon, lime, coffee, chocolate, msg, soy, nitrites, nitrates, tomatoes, just to name a few ingredients from the short list. So, finding recipes without these ingredients is a challenge. 

I am 51, work a full time job, have a hubby who is wonderful, and two almost grown young ladies. My goals: not step on the scale until the end of W30, sleep at least 6-7 hours per night (with IC, I am up in the night going to the bathroom so to sleep more than 3 hours straight would be a blessing), lose weight, exercise 3-5 times per week, feel good.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I look forward to starting the journey again.

3 hours ago, Winifreddie said:

I was wondering if i could join your group. I am a bit techno challenged so, I hope I can find you again if you're willing to let me join in.

I just finished my first Whole30 and would like to start again tomorrow because I have not shaken the sugar cravings entirely. I have not felt the "tiger blood" that I hear about and just really want to change my brain and thus my life. I am starting W30 again tomorrow as a friend is bring dinner over tonight and I feel I should eat it. I am not falling off the wagon entirely, however, but know there will be ingredients in her soup that are on the list of what not to eat. 

I have had problems with nuts, fruit, and sweet potatoes. I don't really have a support system here so wanted to reach out to you all for the support I am lacking here at home. It's not that my family and friends are unsupportive, it's just that I need someone to walk along side me on this journey. 

I like the taste of the food  I eat that is W30 approved, in addition to the not measuring, weighing, and counting, that I am willing to eat this way, pretty much, the rest of my life. I struggle with times when I am on the go (which is pretty much Monday - Thursday) and don't have time to fix a meal. My weekends are consumed then with preparing for the next week. So, nuts and fruit are a quick go to when eating on the go, that i eat too much of that. 

I also have something called Intersticial  cystitis (IC) where I can't/shouldn't eat anything that is acidic like lemon, lime, coffee, chocolate, msg, soy, nitrites, nitrates, tomatoes, just to name a few ingredients from the short list. So, finding recipes without these ingredients is a challenge. 

I am 51, work a full time job, have a hubby who is wonderful, and two almost grown young ladies. My goals: not step on the scale until the end of W30, sleep at least 6-7 hours per night (with IC, I am up in the night going to the bathroom so to sleep more than 3 hours straight would be a blessing), lose weight, exercise 3-5 times per week, feel good.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I look forward to starting the journey again.

Hi!  You are more than welcome to join :)

Try to keep up with the good work, prepping food and eating clean.  I really don't have a lot of advice as I too struggle with eating the 3 meals a day, but I grab nuts or an RXBar if I'm feeling low on energy.  It helps to prep what I'll be eating for lunch the night before, and I really eat a lot of salads with chicken, sweet potatoe, bacon, an egg and some veggies  (or simply make enough to have leftovers to grab).

The 'tiger blood' appears differently. Some get really energized, I just felt the calm in my body.. no more humming and that gave me energy.

How do you cope with dining out or invites to dinners?

Thanks for your response! 

Dining out is a challenge for Whole30 eaters and for those of us who have IC. I usually feel like I am eating clean when I choose a steak and veggies that are steamed only. I was surprised to find out that many meats are prepared with an acidic marinade (like vinegar or lemon/lime juice) that also has sugar added. So, you think you are safe with a salad, for instance, but come to find out the meat has those offending ingredients in them. So eating out is a challenge. 

As far as dinners invites are concerned, most know I struggle with IC so I either bring my own meal or contribute something to the meal that I know I am able to have. 

I am tempted with the WTH syndrome. Have you heard of that???? "What the Hey" attitude that gets in the way of you day. For instance, I have decided to go back onto W30 on Thursday after the meal my friend is bringing to me. So WTH, I can eat those candy bars... or dessert... but, I have resisted and am not going to cave into those temptations. Or, I've already made a mistake today by eating too much fruit, or nuts, or even the candy bar. So, WTH, I've messed up this much why not go all the way and mess up for the rest of the day and just press restart tomorrow. I am steering away from doing those sorts of things. :-)

Being accountable to someone and telling someone is very helpful, thanks!

Thanks for welcoming me. I am surprised I found this same post. :-) How is day two going for you? Question for you. What is coconut amino and evoo? Clueless... 

Hey!

Evoo is Extra Virgin Olive Oil  (I was just lazy and didn't write it out)   and Coconut Amino is a seasoning sauce, taste is similar to soy sauce but without the soy (it's compliant). I haven't used it much but hear it makes a world of difference.

Just checking in with ya'al. Hope you are doing well today. My daughter came home from a conference recently and one "gold nugget" she came away with was the concept of "keeping your day." So the idea behind this is when life stresses you out or gets you down you don't have to throw the day away. You can keep your day and not let the downs in life (and they do come, don't they) take your day hostage. So no matter what happens, KEEP YOUR DAY today! :-)

I have had a pretty good day yesterday with eating clean. Still struggle with eating three (3) squares and not snacking as well as portion control. So... I'm taking on the day with that in mind. I have a low key weekend ahead so plan to do lots of food prep for the next week, checking out some new recipes. Have a great day today!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update

i just completed another 28 days to make it for the whole58.  I am intentionally breaking tonight to have a beer and some wings but I intend to keep going with this and only have cheat meals or treats just occasionally.

i feel so much better and can’t believe how much I don’t feel dependent on food or alcohol.  I lost another 14 pounds over the additional 28 days bringing my total weight loss to 52 pounds since 8/17 (10 days before I started my whole 30).

I can’t say enough good things about this program and would encourage anyone to try it and be sure to read the book “It Starts Wih Food”

Congrats on your W58 and making the conscious, deliberate decision to enjoy some non-compliant yummies!  Huge congrats on your associated weight loss with the program - it's pretty darn amazing!!  

I am on my 3rd (back-to-back) round, day 73 if you want to look at it that way.  I started my first W30 on 8/14, rolled right into a W60 and then extended to W90.  Getting to a W90 was my ultimate goal (to get me close to Thanksgiving).  My mindset was to start with a W30 and then extend each month depending on how I felt.  I had no experience with this program prior and had heard some people really hated it; others loved it.  I figured at the end each 30 days if there was something I really wanted/missed, I could always start reintro's.  So far, I haven't missed anything enough to want to introduce it. 

Archived