Feeling Frequent Discomfort

Ariel523

I finished my first Whole30 in late August and started the fast track reintroduction 8/23. Before W30, I had frequent upset stomachs; more nauseated stomach ache. This was one of the main reasons to try out Whole 30

During W30, and after, those stomach aches went away but now I'm feeling bloated and uncomfortable instead. It's been pretty consistent, and I'm doing my best to rule out/not eat things that may cause discomfort (beans/peanuts, peppers, cruciferous vegetables, etc). But it seems to be coming back left and right, and sometimes for seemingly no real reason. 

My grandmother told me that my great grandmother had issues with gas/bloating too, and she was often uncomfortable, but suffered silently. 

Now I'm wondering, has anyone else experienced this too? Frequent bloating, discomfort, feelings of fullness, forceful burps, just overall really uncomfortable? Could it be a genetic sensitivity to lots of things? Does anyone know a quick way to help alleviate these feelings of discomfort? I'm very tired of feeling this way. I'm constantly aware of my abdomen. 

I've already went to the doctor and checked everything possible. She believes it's just sensitivity to certain foods and through process of elimination, stop eating those things that make me uncomfortable. 

I try to maintain as much of W30 as possible, but not to absolute perfection (I've had sweets here and there, and put cold cereals back in my breakfast with almond milk, etc). I'm not very interested in hyper-analyzing my diet, because I am already doing my best to evaluate that myself. I'm just wondering how many others may experience similar issues, and any words of advice on that/ways to help cope with discomfort.

Thank you!

Just now, scoakley13 said:

I rely on peppermint tea for any stomach ailments. I sometimes get severe bloating and pain after eating so I try to drink a cup with each meal and it helps tremendously. I wouldn't be able to function without it and wish I had tried it years ago. 

I've definitely felt like mint tea has been my savior more than once. My first two weeks during W30, I was sipping tea daily. I had some last night, since discomfort spiked hard then (enough that I didn't want dinner) and I definitely would feel my belly rumble then settle a bit with each sip.

Do you notice any specific foods that cause your discomfort, or is it not really any rhyme or reason? I feel like mine doesn't need much rhyme or reason to be uncomfortable.

• 3 months later...

@Ariel523, have you seen a dr for this? Might be worth doing. If during your W30 the bloating went away, then it's likely something you've added back in. You mentioned cereal - not sure if you mean the box kind or like museli, but if you have a sensitive digestive tract, those grains might be very hard for you to digest. If it's box cereal, then it likely has preservatives (read: corn and soy) and sugar in it as well which could easily be causing a problem.  I would try cutting out the cereal and see if that changes things. If not, go check in with a dr.

Best of luck!

4 hours ago, RandiW said:

@Ariel523, have you seen a dr for this? Might be worth doing. If during your W30 the bloating went away, then it's likely something you've added back in. You mentioned cereal - not sure if you mean the box kind or like museli, but if you have a sensitive digestive tract, those grains might be very hard for you to digest. If it's box cereal, then it likely has preservatives (read: corn and soy) and sugar in it as well which could easily be causing a problem.  I would try cutting out the cereal and see if that changes things. If not, go check in with a dr.

Best of luck!

Hi there!

Yes, before I started it, or during it, I did go to a doctor and ran a bunch of tests. She says I pretty much just have food intolerances/sensitivites. Post W30, I realized beans and sugar are probably my biggest offenders, sometimes dairy when I have too much. During the holidays, I went back to sugar (bad, Ariel) and am getting those same old discomforts and pains. So sugar is for sure a bad thing for me. 

Thank you though!

EDIT: I also think I was undergoing a major sugar detox. I haven't felt bloated so much anymore lately. I think I was just really eating in a way not great for me before W30 and experiencing a lot of changes that caused bloating, whether it was detox or not used to eating so many vegetables or what have you. 

Archived