My husband and I are ttc,. Recently I started tracking my bbt and it averages 96.55. I don't believe I ovulated last cycle, because I never did see an increase in temperature. After reading about it more I saw that a low bbt can make you irregular and not ovulate, so I was wondering if there are foods to eat or lifestyle changes to make to naturally increase my bbt while still staying in the spirit of whole 30. Or if I am not understanding bbt, any insight would be appreciated. 

Have you had your thyroid checked?  Low bbt (yours is too low) can be a sign of hypothyroid.  I know because mine is low too.  It has gotten slightly better with this style of eating and better thyroid meds and supplements the past 6 months. I have also read that (lots of) coconut oil helps.

It isn't so much that low bbt makes you not ovulate, rather there may be an underlying condition (such as low thyroid as previous poster suggested) that causes your bbt to be low and also causes delayed/inconsistent ovulation. 96.55 is pretty low. 

I've had thyroid issues in the past and ovulation issues, and I charted for 3+ years and two pregnancies (1 miscarriage and 1 healthy son born last year). I've been on-and-off Whole30 since 2012 but whether or not I am "on" I have stayed aware of what I put in my body since my first Whole30 in 2012. Meaning, primarily, that I make it a point not to underfeed myself nutritious food (regardless of whatever "junk" I may consume in addition from time to time). I was on a low dose thyroid supplement from 2011 and I was able to stop taking it last year at the suggestion of an endocrinologist who had reviewed my numbers during my pregnancy and said they were so good she suggested I wean off it after baby was born, which I did. Now, one year postpartum, I've recently gotten my period back even though I'm still breastfeeding so things must be working! For reference, I had had TSH levels around 3-3.5 pre-thyroid meds and it is now around 1.5.

Perhaps there is something to coconut oil, I haven't heard this. What I have personally observed is that I CANNOT go low carb and expect to maintain my cycle. When I'm eating well and maintaining adequate carb intake through plenty of starchy vegetables and some fruit, things go a lot better.

Archived