Sausages-need source

JoyMc

I've been getting Shelton's turkey ones that work with compliance, but boring and nto crazy about the flavor.

I'll be at a Whole Foods on Friday, could someone give me a brand and type to save my aging eyes the label squinting over them all? I'll still double check the label of the suggested ones-just in case.

Thanks,

Joy

I don't know if this is practical for you, or if you even eat pork, but US Wellness meats sells bulk pork sausage that is compliant, very tasty, and from well-treated pigs. You can shape it yourself into patties or whatever, but I also cook it like ground beef and use it for Melissa Joulwan-ish hot plates (from Well Fed).

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=721

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if this is practical for you, or if you even eat pork, but US Wellness meats sells bulk pork sausage that is compliant, very tasty, and from well-treated pigs. You can shape it yourself into patties or whatever, but I also cook it like ground beef and use it for Melissa Joulwan-ish hot plates (from Well Fed).

http://www.grassland...tail.bok?no=721

I LOVE their sausage!! I buy the ground sausage and use a little sliders mold and make small sausage patties for breakfast. They are so good and I never get bored. I thought I would say that about bacon, but I'm sick of bacon and eat a sausage patty every day. I can get about 11 sausage patties from 1lb, so it lasts longer that you'd think. It would be delicious in other recipes- stuffed peppers, soups...whatever.

They also have some sausage links, brats, kielbasa, etc. Sign up for their newsletter and you can get a 15% off coupon code just about twice a month.

Um, sorry...saying things like that on here will get you banned...

Sick of bacon. Does not compute.

Making your own sausage is so easy. I take a lb of pastured ground pork and add 1 tsp fennel seeds, 1 tsp chili flakes, fresh sage and salt and pepper to taste. That is my basic breakfast sausage recipe. You can do billions of variations.

I make breakfast sausages out of pork, turkey, chicken, beef, or a combination. Yummy stuff! I can't seem to tolerate the pressed chicken sausages, even if they are compliant.

Sick of bacon.... how does that happen? Can you describe the experience for us? I didn't know it was possible, and I'm very intrigued....

It's hard to explain... but I often cook an entire package of bacon, diced up, freeze it and then scoop out a bit to mix in with my scrambled eggs every morning. I did this for probably about a year and now I just can't stomach it. Mix bacon with anything else- over salad, brussel sprouts, plain, whatever...and believe me, I'm good!! But I had some yesterday mixed with scrambled eggs because I didn't have any thawed sausage and I had to choke them down. I also got really sick one day after eating bacon and eggs in the AM (unrelated to my illness, I had a stomach virus) but you know how when something comes back out the wrong end, you just don't feel the need to eat it anymore??? :wacko: TMI?? (but you asked ;) ) Too bad it didn't happen with pizza or ice cream.

Sulphites are one of the biggest no nos. Soy, sugar, msg...all bad stuff. Have you read it starts with food? It makes it really clear about what you can and can't have. :) It's kinda hard to find compliant sausage but it's out there.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think we get ANY compliant sausage in Australia, almost all of ours have rice flour (for starters, some are <50% meat - eek!).

I buy pure pork mince and add dried sage and hot chilli for a simple and easy sausage mix. I don't measure, I just throw the green stuff around until it's greenish and add as much chilli as I like.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived