Coconut milk - tastes kinda yucky to me?

Let's preface that I love shredded coconut (unsweetened!) I eat it by the handful!

Coconut milk, however... I've been buying the Thai Kitchen brand because that's all I can find locally. It tastes super funky to me. To be perfectly honest (sorry), I think it tastes like spoiled breastmilk. I've tasted several cans of Thai Kitchen, so I don't think it was just one bad can. Also, my husband drinks it in his coffee and doesn't think it tastes weird.

I will say that the coconutty-flavored coconut oil is also gross to me. I cooked some chicken in coconut oil that I bought from Trader Joe's and it made the chicken taste rancid. I should've known, because when I heated the oil, it smelled like rotten meat! The coconut oil I got from Tropical Traditions doesn't taste or smell like anything, but I think one of them is refined and the other is not (?)

I don't know. I just can't do coconut flavor with anything except fruit. Just wondering if I'm the only one??? Everyone else in the Paleo world seems to worship at the altar of coconut milk and I'm just kinda like, "ew..."

Or is it possible that I've gotten a bunch of old coconut milk and my husband just isn't bothered by the flavor? :P

You know...as much as I love coconut milk and oil, I can sort of understand what you mean. My take on that flavor is not what yours is, but I get it. It's almost got a rich meaty flavor. It's not meaty, but headed in that direction. I think you are just super sensitive to that flavor. I haven't had coconut flakes in a super long time, but I sort of remember they are lighter tasting. Do you have Trader Joes where you are? You might like their light coconut milk. It's mixed with water and has a much lighter flavor..plus it's only 99 cents a can so I don't feel bad that they put water in it.

I use the 365 high heat coconut oil from whole foods and it is totally tasteless to me.... If it smells rancid it probably is...oils can go bad .... I absolutely love cooking with it and I'm a pro chef...

As far as coconut milk the 365 from whole foods is by far my fav.... I hate the Thai kitchen.... There are a bunch that I love from the Chinese grocery with unpronounceable names but they are not complient.

Not sure where you live but if you have a whole foods it may be worth a try?

Refined coconut oil doesn't have the taste.

Something that I think makes coconut milk taste funny is guar gum. I can totally taste the difference when it's in there. Before I went Whole30 I could taste it in packaged dairy products as well. You might try a brand without it and see if that's what's giving you the funk.

I am also not a fan of coconut milk and I have tried about 4 different compliant cans (no TJs in Canada-land) and I think that I am just not a coconut milk gal which is fine because I don't drink coffee...also cilantro...found out the hard way that I am sensitive to it after I made a bid salad with it in it then woke up the next day with a crazy puffy face :blink: oops!

That's good.... I thought I might have to not talk to you any more if you had poor culinary taste...... Lol.

I put cilantro in so many things !!! Yummy....

Lol. I eat cilantro by the handful. I love it in salads and just about everything else. :)

Haha, this is funny. I guess I'm not the only one, but it does seem I'm in the minority! :) FWIW, I looooove cilantro, but I've heard some people think it tastes like soap. I guess we all have our flavor preferences.

befab, your comment about the guar gum got me thinking. I'm almost positive the Thai Kitchen kind has that in there because I remember looking it up and seeing that it was not specifically forboden on the W30. Maybe I'll try making my own small batch of coconut milk with my delicious coconut flakes that I love so much...

Sorry about bringing up the cilantro again.... But it tastes great with coconut milk in a green curry!

I fill up a blender with raw cilantro,some garlic,scallion, and other herbs, light olive oil and roasted almonds...makes a great pesto as a grilling marinade for fish,chicken, flank steak..... Also great strait for salads/ veg with a squeeze of fresh lemon.... I put a pool of it strait on a soup bowl and place extra large seared scallops on it with aruglala and heirloom tomatoes .........

Ooo..speaking of homemade coconut milk..I just bought my first Thai young coconut to make my own. Going to try it today. A friend of mine used to make her own using the big hairy coconuts whenever she made curry.

big hairy coconuts LOLZ!

Quality coconut milk tastes good, but I have had some very nasty coconut milk.

Concerning Coconut oil as Fenderbender indicated it is probably rancid. Fats oxidize and go rancid relatively quickly. Coconut oil should be tasteless. I recommend keeping your oils in the fridge to curtail oxidation. I started doing it a few years ago based on the advice of a friend of mine who is a Chef and I have never looked back. I know opinions vary on the matter but refrigerating my oils has worked well for me.

Coconut oil containers are typically large so you can dig out all you need . For the other oils that are liquid and room temp they give you a tiny little opening (which is lame). It takes a minute in the sink in warm water to thaw enough oil to use. This is not super convenient but it is worth it.

Oddly enough, liking cilantro might have a genetic component... Like/dislike tends to run in families, the same as with brussels sprouts.

Add me to the "can't stand cilantro" camp, blech!

My coconut oil isn't tasteless, but I have the extra virgin. The refined coconut oil is completely tasteless, however, you would only want to cook with it.

Archived