Timing of Workout "meals"

JoyMc

Today, I had a regular Whole30 style brekkie, went off to Bikram about 1.5 hours later.

After 90 minute Bikram class, I had Chipolte-probably 3.5hours later from breakfast and about 30 minutes from w/o- the Whole30 approved one from a thread on eating out here. I brought carrots but forgot they were in my bag-LOL.

About 3.5hours after Chipolte, I was hungry which I have not had any during my 12 days in...except at specified meal times

I was supposed to have been heading earlier home but had to wait in town to pick up someone. All I had were macadamias and those forgotten carrots. It was difficult to stop the nuts, but did after pretending my closed fist had a bit of Lycra in it-LOL. (I probably ate a few extra in other words).

So, in the future, what should I do differently post workout?

I really don't like having too much in my tumm before class so a few strips of jerky and half a non-Lycra handful of nuts I take about an hour prior but today, breakfast was only 1.5 hours out, and I didn't want ot eat anything pre w/o. Should I have?

Thanks for your observations, experience, and tips!

• Moderators

Bikram's Yoga is strenuous, but I have treated it differently than a weight-lifting session in the gym. Like you, I don't want to eat before class, so have never considered a pre-workout meal. I'm too busy drinking water! And I've not felt the same need to eat protein quickly after class. Maybe it would help to eat very soon after, but I am satisfied to shower and drive home before eating. In contrast, when I lift at the gym, I sometimes become ferociously hungry near the end of workouts. I know I need to setup for it with a pre-workout snack and a quick post-workout serving of protein.

One of the best things I am doing right now with my eating is not worrying about the timing of my meals....I am eating three a day; and one PWO...(per the advice of another w30 member)...it's given me some great freedom.

However, I do Bikram too...and I have to say...unless I am doing an early AM class...I will usually have an apple Pre-Bikram ...something about apples just gives me more energy to push through...and they don't weigh me down during the work.

PWO - just like Tom shared...I am usually not ravenous...and can make it home...but I will take a small banana with me just in case (and I always keep a larabar in my purse for emergencies~if I were to get stuck somewhere without access to w30 foods~or if I started feeling shaky) Shakiness usually tells me I MUST eat whether I am hungry, or not...just like a headache can indicate needing H2O. Most PWO (Bikram) meals for me are heavy on the veggies...and with a clean protein like fish or shellfish; maybe chicken if I don't have the seafood...lots of green and purple veggies...and some good fats. :)

Plus one!

I've only done Hot Yoga ( I don't know what style it is) a few times so I don't have that much experience .... But most times when I do an early morning ( hand to hand fight class.... Work up a good sweat but not like a grueling work out...mostly technical) and don't want to much in my stomach, I just add some extra coconut milk to my coffee and I keep some single pkgs of almond butter ( portion control so I don't eat the jar lol ) and I pop one of those on the drive and that sets me up for a great day, no hunger pains..... And I'm good for a while before I need a meal

I don't know what it is, but I suppose that once we become " fat adapted" our body's really do look for fat as prefered endurance fuel ....

Worth a try

hey Heatheraaaaa! Glad your doing well :)

Plus one!

I've only done Hot Yoga ( I don't know what style it is) a few times so I don't have that much experience .... But most times when I do an early morning ( hand to hand fight class.... Work up a good sweat but not like a grueling work out...mostly technical) and don't want to much in my stomach, I just add some extra coconut milk to my coffee and I keep some single pkgs of almond butter ( portion control so I don't eat the jar lol ) and I pop one of those on the drive and that sets me up for a great day, no hunger pains..... And I'm good for a while before I need a meal

I don't know what it is, but I suppose that once we become " fat adapted" our body's really do look for fat as prefered endurance fuel ....

Worth a try

hey Heatheraaaaa! Glad your doing well :)

Haha...doing well is an understatement! Thanks to your advice; I am hitting my stride; and this w30 is WAY better than the first one.

Question: where do you purchase those single pkgs of almond butter? I've been having a tsp of sunbutter every morning with my coconut milk and coffee Pre-WO; and today it was just not enough...I had to stop lifting 20 minutes before the end of my session and scarf some watermelon just to make it through! I have to be careful about "eat[ing] the jar" too...so it would be nice to have these.

PS...Bikram Choudhury developed the Bikram style which IS, in effect, hot yoga...in order to be a certified Bikram instructor one must undergo rigorous; (and expensive ... about $11K for training) training; and certifications in order to be an "official" Bikram instructor...also, the studio must follow certain guidelines in order to be a certified "Bikram" studio. Now that hot yoga has become so popular...there are many studios which may claim to offer Bikram...but only those affiliated with the "official" certifications and agreements...are licensed to teach, and offer, true Bikram classes.

"Bikram Yoga is a system of yoga that Bikram Choudhury synthesized from traditional hatha yoga[1] techniques and popularized beginning in the early 1970s.[2][3] Bikram Yoga sessions run for exactly 90 minutes and consist of a set series of 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises.[4] Bikram Yoga is ideally practiced in a room heated to 105°F (≈ 40.6°C) with a humidity of 40%,[5] and is the most popular form of hot yoga (a series of yoga poses done in a heated room). "

SOOOOO!!! Glad your doing well fellow warrior....

I get my pkgs of nut butter at whole foods ....they are right next to the jars..... Several brands, only a few are compliant.... I'm fresh out and can't remember the brand name I use but they are very very pricy... Like a buck something per 2 tbsp pkg.... I've been real good at controlling the urge to eat " the whole jar" but besides red meat, it's the only thing I crave, so a few packs a week won't break the bank...

Thanks for all the info on Bikram.... If I start feeling too beat up from kickboxing, my plan is to back off and supplement with Yoga just to change it up and let myself recoup ( I've gone to other universes while in Shavasana ) so I enjoy it.... Just can't plug it in at the moment...

P.S.

here is a great article on your bodies different " engines" and how your body uses fuel sources under different loads. It's runner specific but the science applies in general... ( Sorry I was a science geek in another life). Essential to apply if you use a heart rate monitor to train

http://www.freedomsrun.org/Training/TrainingAerobic.aspx

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is also a form of hot yoga that is just called "hot yoga." It is a lot different from Bikram in that they offer classes like yin yoga, hatha yoga, power vinyasa, etc in the heat. Totally different style, but their main "hot yoga" class does remind me an awful lot of Bikram.

I've done both bikram and "hot yoga" (I really wish it had a different name, it's easy to confuse them), but I don't necessarily gravitate toward the heat in yoga.

But, I have been wondering about the pre workout meal with yoga. I wouldn't dream of eating right before yoga! It would make you sick.

Archived