srp1777

Here is my chopped liver recipe..... 2 lbs chicken livers sauted until well done in coconut oil. Traditionally you use chicken fat but I haven't found any " natural ". ( you can always add pork belly and it's fat but kinda goes against the spirt of Jewish deli.... Lol but more delish). Remove from pan and Cool

Dice one med yellow onion... At least 3/4 cup ( naturally sweet) and sauté in same pan with more coconut oil until very very golden brown...lots of carmelazation is important. Cool in the oil and save all

Once cooled down place livers,onions with cooking oil, 2 hard boiled eggs, sea salt and plenty of fresh ground black pepper in a food processor....

Pulse until smooth and enjoy......

I just made this and have to say Fenderbender, you are my hero! It is SO.FREAKING.GOOD!

I really want to try fenderbender's recipe, but I am a little scared! For those of you that have tried it, do you eat it as a meal with celery sticks? I really want to make something I can eat every other morning for breakfast. I am thinking a good hearty scoop with celery and some bone broth with a touch of coconut oil added would make a great start to the day :D

I also would like to try adding some chicken livers to hamburgers or meatballs so I can get my husband and kids eating some too.

I think celery would make an excellent vehicle, or a crunchy romaine leaf, but I have to tell you, this is really good on a spoon!

I think I promised this chopped liver recipe. It's my Jewish friend Betsy's moms recipe. It's called Mean Jean's Famous Chopper Livid. All typos are on purpose but there was nothing mean about Jean. :)

2 T rendered chicken fat (from pastured chickens of course), 1/2 lb chicken livers, 2 ribs celery chopped, 1 small onion finely chopped,1 minced garlic clove, 2 HB eggs chopped, 1/4 tsp basil, pinch oregano, salt, pepper and 2 tsp homemade mayo. Melt chicken fat. Saute liver, onions, celery and garlic over med high heat. When partially done, add seasonings. Cook well. Cool and add eggs. Chop chop chop in wooden bowl with a mezaluna..I have always used my processor..don't tell Jean. Add mayo and test for seasonings. Should be a smooth spreadable texture. Delish on celery or belgium endive. Enjoy. :)

Maybe you could try to make a rillette? But not sure if worth the trouble if you hate liver.... But if you added enough pork belly.....

This is not typical but you might like this modification....

Try 1 pound pork belly diced into 1/4 cubes sauté and render out all the fat until the pork peices are very crunchy....remove the crunchies and try not to eat them before the completion of the dish....lol.

Add 1/2 pound chicken liver to the pork fat with 2 shallots minced,fresh thyme,fresh rosemary, 3-4 dried apricots (all minced) salt pepper and sauté until cooked ..... Cool a bit and pulse In a food processor until smooth.... Then fold in the crunchy pork belly and place in a glass jar ( Tupperware will work). And refrigerate over night

You now will have a smooth " pâté" with lots of crunchy pork pieces In it..... Spread on celery or carrots...pepper slices. ( ok French baguette is optimal but not worth it)

Thought this up for you, but I may have to try it tonight!!!!!

I really want to try fenderbender's recipe, but I am a little scared! For those of you that have tried it, do you eat it as a meal with celery sticks? I really want to make something I can eat every other morning for breakfast. I am thinking a good hearty scoop with celery and some bone broth with a touch of coconut oil added would make a great start to the day :D

I also would like to try adding some chicken livers to hamburgers or meatballs so I can get my husband and kids eating some too.

I had my egg,avocado,zucchini,scramble concoction on crispy fried tostones ( un ripe plantains ) this morning and it was great, nice texture opposition ..... Liver spread would probably be great as well

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is my chopped liver recipe..... 2 lbs chicken livers sauted until well done in coconut oil. Traditionally you use chicken fat but I haven't found any " natural ". ( you can always add pork belly and it's fat but kinda goes against the spirt of Jewish deli.... Lol but more delish). Remove from pan and Cool

Dice one med yellow onion... At least 3/4 cup ( naturally sweet) and sauté in same pan with more coconut oil until very very golden brown...lots of carmelazation is important. Cool in the oil and save all

Once cooled down place livers,onions with cooking oil, 2 hard boiled eggs, sea salt and plenty of fresh ground black pepper in a food processor....

I'm doing the AIP so no eggs for me. Are they critical to the recipe?

I'm glad this thread popped up! I used to eat liverwurst with my grandpa and Love it, but it is hard to find a compliant mix. I tried liver and onions once and could not get past the texture. I can't wait to try some of these recipes! :)

Thanks for bringing organ meat up, Srp...I've been in a quandary about them myself.

For those who don't like organ meat, lamb liver is mild-tasting. I put it in the food processor as someone else said in this thread, and then mix the results with ground beef and spices. Made some terrific meatballs that way.

Terez

• 3 weeks later...

How long would this keep without the layer of butter on top as preservative? There's only one of me, so I tend to have trouble getting through things (like the jar of mayo I have in my fridge right now - gonna have to eat a STACK of salads to get through that!)

Archived