Chicken bone broth

SCrames

Robin is a crockpot hoarder :lol: s'ok....we don't judge

I totally am. I have my eye on a couple of the tiny ones, too. See, here's how it happened: When the hubs and I first got married, we didn't really cook (except mac and cheese and DiGiorno). So then, when we were really fat and unhappy feeling, we started Body For Life, which meant cooking real food. Our first crockpot is a football themed $5 Walmart clearance special and I will never get rid of it. But it's tiny. Fast forward 5 years to paleo food, and I needed a grown up CP. So, the hubs bought me a 7QT Which I cracked after about 4 months. So he bought me ANOTHER 7QT. Now, I use the football for small batch stuff, the cracked one for dry goods (like roasting squash, taters, etc) and the other one for my main meals. I figure I only need about 4 more...

Super easy.... cut up 2 carrots into big chunks, 2 stalks of celery the same, 1 medium onion cut up, 5 cloves of garlic, put the carcass and bones in the crock pot 1/2 tsp of sea salt, 2 tbsps of raw apple cider vinegar poured over the bones and 10 peppercorns. Fill crockpot with water and put on low for 8-12 hours.... not longer....the fat in chicken is high in PUFAs and you dont want to eat compromised fat.

After the time is up strain it and store it in the fridge. I *just* maed a chicken bone broth and it's a good way to use the carcass but I MUCH prefer beef bone broth. Check out my blog, I post about bone broth frequently. I am addicted to it and am sipping on some right now actually.

So you literally just drink it like tea? I've had some I made in the fridge for a couple of days and I'm not feeling like making/eating soup, so I just keep staring at it wondering what to do with it (luckily the rest is safely in the freezer until I figure it out lol)

oooh and you're from Canada??? where?

So you literally just drink it like tea? I've had some I made in the fridge for a couple of days and I'm not feeling like making/eating soup, so I just keep staring at it wondering what to do with it (luckily the rest is safely in the freezer until I figure it out lol)

oooh and you're from Canada??? where?

Yes ma'am, I heat it up on the stove in a pan of water (I got rid of our microwave) and sip it like tea. I haven't actually made anything with it yet (wait that's a lie, husbie made goulash with it). I love it, I am addicted, it was one of my top 10 things of 2012 actually...bone broth...who knew?!

And I live on the cold cold prairies.

Stock is an excellent flavor enhancer for a lot of foods, not only just for soup. I splash some onto greens after sauteing to deglaze the pan a bit, add into mashed sweet potatoes or again deglazing a pan that meat has been cooked for a sauce.. stock is phenomenal. And it's a tasty drink for cold afternoons, not to mention awesome for gut healing. :)

Archived