Post-Menopausal Couch-Potato Gives It A Go

pjsunnyday

It's kind of intimidating, I don't mind saying, since browsing the boards is giving me the impression that most folks here are much younger and in much better shape. CrossFit? Yikes!

I've been eating some variation of low-carb, Paleo or Primal for the past 3 years, and so I know the health benefits of these diets. However, I have some lingering issues I'm hoping to address with a Whole30. I also need to get my heinie off the couch and get some exercise in.

I'll be "rehearsing" Whole30 for the next couple of weeks -- making meal plans, collecting recipes, and stocking my fridge and pantry -- with full lift-off as soon as the last houseguest leaves the day after Christmas.

I've been saying a lingering good-bye to some old favorites in anticipation -- havarti and gouda cheeses, my morning glass of kefir. And butter on everything. No, I mean it -- EVERYTHING. Grass-fed ghee is arriving in the mail next week to help me with that transition. Since I ran out of cream last week I've started drinking my coffee black -- surprisingly satisfying! And I'm practicing eating vegetables -- I have never eaten so many vegetables in my life!

I'm also committed as much as possible to grass-fed beef and pastured chicken, after having sobbed my way through Food, Inc. I've been sourcing local products, and my freezer is filling nicely.

I've been reading the boards for the past week and I'm finding some very helpful info. For instance, I don't know who said it (thank you, whoever you are), but I read "Don't think in terms of breakfast, lunch and dinner -- think in terms of first meal, second meal, and third meal." A lightbulb went off! I had a leftover pork chop with veggies for breakfast that morning, and for the first time in years I wasn't rooting around for a snack mid-morning. Or mid-afternoon, for that matter.

Any advice for a 60-year-old gal with a can-do attitude?

I can already tell that you are going to do great! I have a feeling that if you give up dairy for the length of your W30, you will find it isn't the wonder you thought it was before when you reintroduce it. Have you bought the book It Starts With Food? It's so full of great reading. There are also lots of informational documents right on this site for you. We've had people almost 80 on this site so welcome youngster. :)

WOOHOO! You are doing it the right way lady! Don't be intimidated by all the youngins here, everyone is at different levels and this is only about YOU!

I soooooooo happy to see someone who has taken the long ramp up approach. I did the same and I think that it is EXTREMELY important in being successful and 100% compliant with no slips. I would have fallen flat on my face in the first week had I not spent a month reading, reading, preparing, throwing out non compliants, buying new stuff etc. I think you are WAAAAAY ahead of the game (and most of the youngins).

My only advice is that this is going to be a mental game probably more than you think. Knowing this and having a plan for dealing with this only going to compound your success. Keep a food log or a journal, when a serious craving arises instead of giving in (especially in the 3rd week when your body does it's last ditch attempt to get you back to sugar) you can journal about it, or have a friend you can talk and we are always here for support too.

I agree with Susan, reading "It Starts With Food" is fundamentally important to internalize the science behind why the program is like it is.

Also I see you are keen to start being more active so have a plan in how you will implement this. If you were formerly not very active I would start off with a light routine but I can't say enough good things about women lifting. Don't fear the weights and don't get sucked into the compulsive cardio BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY find something YOU love an don't squeeze yourself into someone else's routine. Try Zumba, Pure Barre, yoga (I loooooove yoga and always suggest people give it a try, it can be modified for any level), swimming anything!...find something YOU LOVE and it will never be like working out is a chore/bore.

I'm rooting for ya, GOOD LUCK!

Wow, thanks, all, for the great welcome and the votes of confidence!

Yes, I'm reading my way through "It Starts With Food." Eye opening! I also bought a copy of Well Fed -- wow, it's terrific! That chili recipe looks awesome. If I play my cards right, I can start my program with a freezer full of already-prepared meals!

And yes, I'm thinking about beginning a weight lifting program. I have a book called "Weight Lifting for Old Farts." OK, not really -- it's called "Strong Women Stay Young" byMiriam E. Nelson. It looks like an excellent place to begin. All it requires are some light weights and a chair. I have those.

I'm so pleased to have found such a supportive community!

I agree. I think you'll do wonderfully. I did the same thing you did with preparing. Unfortunately, I only got to Day23 before slipping. I was proud that I'd gotten that far. It was my first time to go 23 days with no sugar. I thought I would hoop right bank on the wagon, but too many things have cropped up, and I have failed. So, I've decided to get my mind refocused, start re-reading It Starts With Food, and get my butt in gear. The exercise will come. Start small and find something you like. Maybe go to the librar videos.y and check out some exercise

Welcome! I'm not quite post-menopausal, yet, but I had great success on my first whole 30 with being able to start exercising--as in, before the whole30, my joints hurt so much after 15 minutes of walking that I felt crippled for the rest of the day. The whole30 cleared that right up. How do I know it was the whole 30 and not just the weight loss?

I didn't until til week...

I am no longer doing my whole30 and the pain is starting to return--it's just in my hips at the moment making sleep difficult.

I had dinner on Sunday at a friend's house. She is a fabulous low-carb cook who leans heavily toward paleo, and I enjoyed myself very much. But for the first time in a week I had cheese and other dairy, and... ouch. My fingers are all swollen and sore, I'm all sinusy again, and yesterday I felt... well, hungover.

Back on the wagon today. Again, I'm in rehearsal mode now, so any off-plan eating is just me learning to walk. It's interesting that although I'm not noticing any "gains" yet to eating this way, I'm certainly noticing the "losses" when I don't. Very educational.

And yes, luvbnhealthy, I think you're right -- I'll back into exercise slowly rather than try to overload myself too much at one time with new stuff. Making it to 23 days was awesome! It's not a failure, it's a test drive. Hop back on!

pj - Thanks for the encouragement! Yes, it was actually a great test drive, too. I am just sorry I went back to my old ways. Not completely but with that old Sugar Dragon. And FYI, I am 52 and already post menopausal. It all came and went without me knowing it'd taken place. My doctor figures it's because I ate fairly heathy and did a lot exercise-wise. It's been two years. I am still waiting for something to happen because it's just been too easy. That's why I wanted to to Whole30 - to see how it would affect my overall health since I haven't had any health issues.

PJ - Haha...well, it would be nice - especially since cancer runs in my family. My health journey started 8 years ago so I'm always looking to improve my health. This is the first health book I've read that really connected the dots and made total sense. It's funny how you don't think you're addicted to something until you try to take it away.

See? This is why I'm "practicing" first! My boss makes home-made cinnamon rolls for her staff for holiday presents. Since she knows I don't eat gluten, instead she gave me one of those Costco-sized jars of cashews. It's half-gone already! Clearly cashews are a trigger food for me. Glad to find this out during "rehearsal!"

Good for you, pj. Preparing/planning got me through my first Whole30 this summer (even did a blog on the experience for other pm women). I'm gearing up for a Whole90 starting 1/1. Btw, I'm also 60+ and it is different when you'er pm. I've felt very alone in this as everyone is younger and oblivious to the changes in the older female except for the obvious. I'm so happy that I'm not alone!

I think you''ll be very successful because you are setting yourself up to make the leap and all that planning and sourcing will be a parachute.

The one area that still is difficult for me, even though hubby is on board, is socializing with family & friends. At our age, there's little community support. (But I have a couple of really cute lunch bags!)

I''ll be cheering for you.

aloha,

Leslie

Leslie - Do you have a link to your blog post? I would be interested in reading it.

I am in the same age group as you guys and am starting my first Whole30 on January 7th. I eat reasonably well, exercise regularly, but am having some digestive issues (along with about 10 pounds that need to come off) so I have come here to get things figured out. I am spending the Christmas holidays working my way through ISWF.

(I always use "Aloha" as a salutation too.)

Good for you, pj. Preparing/planning got me through my first Whole30 this summer (even did a blog on the experience for other pm women). I'm gearing up for a Whole90 starting 1/1. Btw, I'm also 60+ and it is different when you'er pm. I've felt very alone in this as everyone is younger and oblivious to the changes in the older female except for the obvious. I'm so happy that I'm not alone!

I think you''ll be very successful because you are setting yourself up to make the leap and all that planning and sourcing will be a parachute.

The one area that still is difficult for me, even though hubby is on board, is socializing with family & friends. At our age, there's little community support. (But I have a couple of really cute lunch bags!)

I''ll be cheering for you.

aloha,

Leslie

I am also in the PCMP category. Day 1 check! Day 2 on board. I am psyched for this. Lots of chronic health problems that need a new approach! I'm positive that dairy & soy have an impact on me. I'm a snow bird in FL for 2 months & this is the perfect time to cleanse. At least no "home" triggers and fresh veggies & fruit. Am doing this with a gal pal back home. We check in often! Thanks for being here.

Shelley, I started December 26. I was afraid if I waited till the first I would talk myself out of it, so I dove right in as soon as Christmas leftovers were packaged up and sent out the door with departing guests.

I ate a pretty darned good paleo diet before I started, so I'm surprised at how much of a struggle this is. Yesterday (day 9 for me) I wrote an email to a friend telling her how much I was craving certain foods, then I logged on to the W30 website and found the week-by-week list of what to expect. I'm right on cue -- lots of energy, but having fitful dreams of chocolate, and coffee with cream. Oh, how I miss my coffee with cream! I think it's the first thing I'm going to bring back on day 31.

Leslie, please do share your blog with us -- us old folks could use some support! And yes, socializing is hard -- I have friends who are pacing back and forth impatiently waiting for this to be over so we can get back to our lunches and dinners. Tomorrow I'm going to a friend's house for lunch -- and I'm bringing it.

For those of you just starting, stay the course! I'm rooting for you! And I sincerely appreciate all the rooting you're doing for me.

Oh boy! Glad to find some other 60+ ladies on here! I started w30 on Jan 1, but am aiming to do a w100. I have a very long "dieting" history - became lifetime member of WW at 20. That lasted about a minute. I'm 62 now and have a good 100# to lose. I did work my way into Paleo last February by hearing about Wheat Belly, cutting out wheat and most sugar. Then started reading the various Paleo bloggers and really got into paleo cooking. Lost about 20# over 6 months, had a 2-month hiatus from Halloween to post-Christmas and gained about 7# back. I know this is a lot of diet talk and I'm sorry. So far now it's my 5th day and I've been 100% compliant (altho did binge somewhat on cashews - glad it was the tiny Trader Joes bag and not the big jar from Costco!). I'm realizing that cashews are a trigger so won't buy them for a while.

There is so much variation in opinions about weight loss across the paleo blog spectrum, and with so many experts it's very frustrating to know the best way to do it. I guess for this phase I'm going to work on not thinking of the weight loss aspect. I don't have any digestion issues that I know of (except for this one thing: I have such a cast-iron stomach that I can digest ANYTHING and probably everything that goes into me. And this without a gallbladder for the last 16 years. Don't know if that means anything).

I love every activity that involves sitting - knitting, weaving, spinning, sewing, reading, computer...and know that I should put that down and get outside once in a while. I'm geared up with new walking shoes so hope to get busy with some walks in the weeks ahead.

Good luck to all of you!

Hello. I'm a 55 year of age post menopausal Aussie. I am so pleased to find this part of the Forum. Thank you. I have just completed day 6 and have eaten clean, although I'm sure too many almonds and too much of the coconut flakes. Love them so will have to toss them out.

I had removed sugar from my food a few months ago after reading the book "Sweet Poison". Or at least I thought I had until I read yesterday that most bacon has sugar. Oh dear.

I am amazed at how many vegetables this requires, especially at breakfast. I am however feeling very well and already have lots of energy. I spent the holidays cleaning and scrubbing a house to get ready for rent. And each evening I have felt fine even managed to swim a few laps of a pool each night.

I am most definitely not a cross fitter. Even the thought of it makes me feel overwhelmed. I have at least 10 kilo to lose so I hope to lose a little during this Whole 30.

Best wishes to all.

Julie

Archived