Natural Calm

Candice@allthingsyogi

• Moderators

Natural Calm offers an unsweetened version that is approved for use during a Whole30. I've never seen the unsweetened version in stores, but you can buy it from Amazon.com.

You might want to read the Whole9 take on Natural Calm at http://whole9life.com/2010/09/supplements-part-ii/.

I've been taking Natural Calm for over two years now. It continues to have a sedative effect for me. It is not a "knock-out" pill, but does promote a soothing feeling that makes getting to sleep easier. Natural Calm can have a laxative effect when you first begin taking it or if you take too much. My body adjusted to the laxative effect after a few days and I never have any problems with it now.

• 3 weeks later...

Natural Calm offers an unsweetened version that is approved for use during a Whole30. I've never seen the unsweetened version in stores, but you can buy it from Amazon.com.

You might want to read the Whole9 take on Natural Calm at http://whole9life.co...ments-part-ii/.

I've been taking Natural Calm for over two years now. It continues to have a sedative effect for me. It is not a "knock-out" pill, but does promote a soothing feeling that makes getting to sleep easier. Natural Calm can have a laxative effect when you first begin taking it or if you take too much. My body adjusted to the laxative effect after a few days and I never have any problems with it now.

Which version is unsweetened? Raspberry?

You can drink it cold, so it could work during the day for you. The nice thing about it is that you control how much you use, so if it makes your sleepy you can use a smaller scoop. My suggestion would be try it on a weekend or evening to see how you handle it. I always have it on-hand, and I'm glad to hear that the plain one is good. I've been avoiding it during my W30 (I'm on day 13) because I only have the flavored one on hand.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the natural, unflavored kind at Earth Fare, a local Whole Foods type place, a few of days ago. Beware the size of spoon you use! It says two heaping teaspoons. I must have overheaped my eating teaspoon because I had the worst runs I have ever had. After recovering from that, I tried 3/4 measured teaspoon and had no trouble and am working my way up. I am trying a little in the morning and a little more at night.

It has citric acid in it, so it is sort of sour but not in an unpleasant way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

What about Natural Calm Plus Calcium? Any testimonial?

You don't need to supplement with calcium if you are eating a good variety of Whole30-compliant foods and include dark, leafy greens or things like salmon or sardines with the bones. In fact, adding calcium may mess with your sleep. I can't cite the source now, but I remember reading somewhere that while magnesium has a sedating effect, calcium can have a stimulating effect. At the time I read this material, I thought about Natural Calm with added Calcium. It seemed like that product would not work nearly as well as the Natural Calm without calcium.

We don't need nearly as much calcium in our diets as is recommended. Did you know that the US has the highest intake of calcium and the worst bone health in the world? The problem is not not getting enough calcium. The problem is eating grains and legumes and other foods that keep our bodies from using the calcium we are getting. The Whole30 menu eliminates all those foods and so we can then incorporate the amount of calcium we are getting instead of having it just pass through.

I can't take Natural Calm, as the blend makes me itch all over. But I know several people that swear by it!

Is it possible for the itching to start a few days after a dose or is it more immediate? I was itching like crazy a few days ago and thought it was laundry detergent :-/

• Moderators

Jeepifer's is the first report I've every heard of itching in response to Natural Calm. But most itching episodes that I have ever heard about were pretty quick and not delayed by several days. However, based upon Jeepifer's experience, you might want to proceed cautiously.

Is it possible to take too much magnesium? It doesn't seem like anyone here is having any problems, but I worry about it.

Yes, it is possible. You will know right away, though, because too much magnesium results in watery liquid stools (sometimes explosive, too). Nice, right? Luckily, usually you will have milder symptoms first, so you can back off before that happens.

This is why I always suggest changing your dose gradually, so there aren't any surprises. :o

Archived