Also starting my first Whole30 on Jan 2nd too. I've been Primal since mid-Sept. Off sugar and grains (except for Christmas Eve & Day and New Year's Eve and Day), off legumes, off "bad" oils/fats. Eating pastured meats and eggs, plus raw milk. Vegetables are a mix of organic and conventional.

What I want to tighten up is the amount of dairy, and to have larger amounts of vegetables. I find a glass of kefir to be too easy to have for breakfast. And in general I have too many lazy meals (apple and almond butter; celery sticks and cream cheese). I call them "lazy" because it's what I fall back on when I'm busy and don't want to take the time for food prep, cooking and clean-up. But my energy dips when I am not eating meat and vegetables because of those lazy meals.

Biggest "off roading" at the holidays has been wine. Until a week ago, I had been having wine at one meal per week. I'll be glad to take a clean break during my Whole 30.

My goals are:

• have meat or eggs + vegetable at every meal
  • have three different vegetables each day (a serving from the greens family, a serving from the cruciferous family and a serving deeply colored vegetable) a la Terry Wahls

My freezer is well-stocked with pastured meats, ready to thaw and roast. I have some prepped kale in the fridge now plus a cabbage that needs chopping. Need to pick up some deeply colored vegetables to round out the fridge.

As long as I cook up vegetables and roasts, I'm good with taking cold vegetables and some meat and adding salad dressing (from my homemade mayo thinned with vinegar and...oops, been using kefir; need to make some coconut milk).

Need to add to my goals: a schedule for

• making coconut milk (for "cream" in my coffee); apparently the homemade stuff lasts only two days
  • washing and prepping the organic vegetables (any tips and tricks there; I begrudge the time to do this)

That's it, I think. Making mayo is so easy I don't mind whipping it up when I run out (don't feel like I need to schedule that one).

So many folks posting here. Seems like it will be hard to keep up with them all. Will we break into smaller groups for accountability?

Those who have done this before: did you recommend subscribe to the daily email support, and what did you think of it? I feel like I've got a good foundation with the nutritional habits I've established in the past few months. The Whole30 feels more like a tightening up rather than a drastic change. Don't know how helpful those daily emails will be for me.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My husband and I are planning to start January 2. He's gluten-intolerant so this won't be a huge change for him, but it's a big step for me. I'm looking forward to this adventure!

My revised start date is January 5, after a traditional seafood dinner with my family that had to be postponed because of illness. I'm excited to get going and have signed up for the Whole 30 Daily to get the most from this experience!

AmyS I'm completely on the same page as you! Saturday I had this "duh!" moment and thought, "screw this, I have got to start again right now!"

I had a nasty sinus infection several weeks ago that just seemed to be lingering. I knew I was getting better but three weeks later, at several points throughout the day, my sinuses would become severely congestested. It was painful and annoying!

I live in a rural area and the nearest big any kind of store is an hour away in the same town my brother lives in. We had driven down there to hit the big box store and then have dinner with my brother and family. Lovely day. I was making the drive from store to brother's house, having just finished munching on one of my mom's oatmeal cookies, when the congestion came on again. I would like to call it a light bulb moment, but it was really a "well, duh!" moment. SUGAR= severe congestion!

Yesterday was day one for me and you know what? No moments of crazy congestion yesterday. This morning, for the first time since before I got sick I woke up and didn't have a head full of junk. Shocker.

Once again, I'm learning the hard way that the sugar is just not worth it. I'm looking forward to the health and well-being January's whole30 is going to bring!!

Starting my new journey tomorrow.....been reading "It Starts With Food" since Christmas....my gift to myself.....pretty stoked about it....made Moroccan Chicken yesterday with Roasted Eggplant.....tasty....not really crying that I'll be sans cheese or vino for a bit.....I'll save money for GOLF :D !!!!!!!!!!!! Just want to see how I feel down the road....self-experimentation! Cheers for now

I'm starting on the 2nd too! My first whole 30 but I'm not stranger to elimination diets and this sort of eating. Need to reset and get my body working well again. It's been a stressful 2012 but I have to admit I have enjoyed the whoopie pies this week!!! :D

Happy New Year!

Gearing up today...being mostly compliant...but we all know that mostly doesn't cut it when it comes to the w30. Jan 2nd is my start.

A bit upset that my boyfriend has decided not to try this...it is really hard to maintain my will of steel with everyone else in the house consuming nasties...but I have done it before...and this go round; I am going longer so I can hopefully make the change for a lifetime. (Admittedly he does give me props when we are out and about...like "she won't touch that; she's doing the whole 30" and "she's so strong; it doesn't even bother her"...lol...which does encourage me...but we all know it is not easy)!

This will be my third Whole 30...and the first time I have made a decision to push past the 30 days in order to deal with my food issues head-on. The plan is still to go Paleo for good after that...however, I believe I need some extra time in order to heal my relationship with food. So...here's to today; and prepping for tomorrow...let's have fun at it!

AmyS, congrats for the early start and the relief!

I started today and am already feeling better, too (if I ignore my slight hangover ;)

Thumbs up everybody, we're in this together.

All the best for a great start in 2013!

Thanks - it took a couple of days but this morning I woke up optimistic about life again. It's so huge, what food does.

not really crying that I'll be sans cheese or vino for a bit.....I'll save money for GOLF :D !!!!!!!!!!!!

I like your reward plan, mdcowboy41! There was something I had thought of rewarding myself with and I brushed it aside. But now that I see your logic in using the "milk money" for a reward gives it a whole different angle. Not buying milk, cheese, cream (or wine!) this month.

Can't remember my reward idea right now but I know it will come back to me, and then I'm going to write it down. ;)

January 2nd is pretty much a great day to start...all the partying, and food, from the holidays will be over...and most people have no excuses ... plus there are exactly enough days to have a Whole 30 up until the end of the month!

:)

That was my thoughts exactly! I am in and set to start first thing tomorrow, now today I am easing in technically but a little Diet Coke (my pathetic little vice) has occured. My resolve is set though, how can I be an example for my family/friends if I cant do a whole#0 :P

Bring it on...tomorrow lol!

I am looking to do my second 30 as well. I did my first at the beginning of November and it was great. I felt happier, healthier, and had treated food for nourishment and not for pleasure. My biggest motivation behind it was to lose weight and also have a better relationship with food. I must admit, I'm terribly upset with myself because ever since I finished my first 30 I have fallen completely fallen off the wagon. Whatever weight I took off I put back on and I just feel different. I did not weigh myself during my 30 days so I cannot accurately say how much I lost, but the eyes never lie and I can see where I put weight back on. I am constantly struggling to fight my sweet tooth and sometimes it gets the best of me. I definitely notice a difference in my mood so I know my hormone levels are all over the place. I'm looking forward to getting back on track and being back in a place where I feel comfortable in my body because I right now I feel like I'm wearing someone else's skin. :( I will definitely be turning to the forum more this time around because I will need encouragement and the stories of those who are going through the same struggles that I am.

I've done "paleo adjacent", basically coffee with cream and sugar, and wine at night, in the past, but I definitely have watched bad habits creep back this fall & winter. I'm in with lots of meat & veggies on hand for tomorrow's kick off!

Hi Everyone! I'm in for starting my first Whole 30 tomorrow, 1/2! I've been doing Paleo for a few months with great results, but am ready to kick my over-dependence on sweeteners and desserts! I don't have the book, but have been reading up on the program online. Glad to be joining you all...Happy New Year and here's to Good Health :)!!!

Archived