Hey, Everybody.

I started W30 four days ago, weighing 287 lbs. My goal is to just follow the program as it is written. I think I'll lose weight b/c my body will switch from carb-burning to fat-burning.

I started paleo (as best I could) at the beginning of November and immediately felt like I had tons more energy than I'd had for a long, long time. I didn't lose weight--not sure why. But I think that as I get healthier, I will lose weight and I definitely have many health challenges to overcome.

In the meantime, I'm not overly focused on future results b/c I'm still exulting in the fact that I have sufficient energy to do the things each day that I want to do. What a gift!!!! Really and truly, at least right now, I don't need anything more than that.

Thanks, everyone, for being here. And good luck to all!

Margie

Margie, welcome! And can I please clone your philosophy and your attitude. Take it day by day and enjoy the process. :)

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this thread is a few months old, but I am also "morbidly obese", and am curious about additional struggles there may be. I have been overweight now for longer than I wasn't and have always struggled with food/body image issues/binging.

Some of the things I am noticing now (DAY 1, post meal 1) is I feel hungry. The problem though is I don't know if it is actually hunger, or something else. I usually eat til I am stuffed, which I am pretty full, but I still feel a gnawing in my stomach. It's a physical sensation that I always associate with hunger. I know I ate plenty. It was good. I am also addicted to diet coke. Went cold turkey last night to start clean with the W30. I just can't figure out what this feeling is, and what I can do to stop it.

I feel great with the *idea* of eating what my body needs, but how do I follow that philosophy if I can't figure out what my body is telling me? I mentally know that a certain amount of food should be enough, but the feelings or signals my body is sending are different. I am not even remotely skimping on anything either.

I know this is a rambling jumble of weirdness. lol I am just maybe scared, which feels really silly. I am a grown up, and this is just FOOD!! :)

Just popping in here…

1. You can't criticize the W30 day 1, meal 1 after however many months/years of an unhealthy diet. You really need to give the program 2-3 weeks to fully appreciate how good you feel.
  2. That gnawing feeling in your stomach – is it in your stomach or in your head? My guess is the latter.
  3. Let the program work for you, and do not try to work the program. That means eating by the template and not just eating W30 compliant foods. There's a difference. :)
  4. Find other ways to manage the hungries – go for a walk, drink tea, etc.

I get that gnawing feeling after eating sometimes, too. Logically, I know it can't be hunger 'cause I haven't even finished putting the dirty pots & pans in the dishwasher!

Maybe it's anxiety manifesting as a hungry feeling? Making these changes can expose a lot of emotions that we've been masking with certain foods, routines, and relationships. But, that's the point of the Whole 30 - to change our unhealthy relationship with food so that hungry feeling can be an indicator that you're moving in the right direction.

Thanks for the input. I think maybe it is just anxiety or digestion or something. I think I am just more aware of my body and what it is physically doing after eating because now I know how things are working chemically, where before reading the book I would have not given it a second thought.

I am not trying to criticize the plan, far from it. This was asking a question about me and my reaction/feelings/emotional junk tied to the eating plan. I believe in the plan, I am hooked. Trust me. I am ready to have a healthy relationship with food again.

I am also eating the way the book says to. Not just W30 complaint foods, but making sure I am having fats/proteins/and lots of good veggies. I had a banana at the end of Meal 1.

This inquiry was really just about my unhealthy relationship with food, not understanding how my body is feeling, and some possible anxiety surrounding the changes I'm making. I wasn't trying to offend or suggest there is something wrong with the plan.

• Moderators

Some of the things I am noticing now (DAY 1, post meal 1) is I feel hungry. The problem though is I don't know if it is actually hunger, or something else. I usually eat til I am stuffed, which I am pretty full, but I still feel a gnawing in my stomach. It's a physical sensation that I always associate with hunger. I know I ate plenty. It was good. I am also addicted to diet coke. Went cold turkey last night to start clean with the W30. I just can't figure out what this feeling is, and what I can do to stop it.

I feel great with the *idea* of eating what my body needs, but how do I follow that philosophy if I can't figure out what my body is telling me? I mentally know that a certain amount of food should be enough, but the feelings or signals my body is sending are different. I am not even remotely skimping on anything either.

I can completely relate; I felt the same way at the start of my Whole30. I'm only on Day 11 and my spaz out/trust issues have already resolved themselves.

My understanding is it's important that you not go hungry. If that means you overeat a little while remaining true to the template, that's better than being hungry shortly after eating. This was a struggle for me, and I kept the intention to eat to satisfaction not stuffed. It happened in less than a week.

I think our bodies are undernourished (though often overfed) when we start this program, and once our bodies start getting the nourishment they need, they start to relax and the impulse to eatandeatandeatandeat just dissolves.

Now I eat to satisfaction and my relationship with food is becoming unremarkable and downright pleasant.

One thing I do recommend is to be vigilant about HOW you eat in addition to what you eat. Eat sitting down without distraction. Focus on enjoying the healthy food you've prepared. Rid your table of distractions such as reading, email, t.v., etc. For me this has helped sync my brain and body immensely.

Oh, and it helps me to remember never to eat so much that I couldn't go dancing after I finish eating. It's a revelation to not be stuffed and to make a habit of it.

You can do this!

This inquiry was really just about my unhealthy relationship with food, not understanding how my body is feeling, and some possible anxiety surrounding the changes I'm making. I wasn't trying to offend or suggest there is something wrong with the plan.

Don't worry, absolutely no offence taken. Personally I think many of us are 'broken' in our whole relationship with food when we first come to a W30. We're so used to either stuffing ourselves because junk food is made to be addictive or severely restricting ourselves on 'diets', when were we ever taught to actually listen and respond to our bodies needs. It's no wonder we get our signals skewed and our wires crossed. It took me quite a while to work out when I was hungry and when I was craving. It even took me a while to work out the difference between being hungry and feeling sick, that's how crossed my wires were :)

It may be just *food* as you say but our society has literally packaged it with so much emotional baggage that it can be hard to get back to a stage where we regard it as fuel to nourish our bodies. However, it sounds like you're doing awesome and it does get easier as it goes on. So good luck and keep us posted how you do.

Hippyhappybaby, I know exactly the gnawing feeling you're talking about. I used to get it, too, before and/or after a meal and felt it could only be relieved by eating/eating more.

I'm on my second W30 now and don't get the gnawing anymore. I don't know if you are going to include sweet potato or pumpkin with each meal..... I didn't do that in the first few weeks of my first W30, and until I did, I still felt hungry even WITH the right portions of protein, fat and heaps of vegetables. That's another thing - I find cooked veggies more satiating than salad, even though I usually include some leafy greens along with my veggies. Hope this and all the other comments help! :rolleyes:

I am pretty sure that gnawing type of hunger has to do with addiction-type signals you are getting from either wheat or sugar. Once you adapt to Whole30, it kinda goes away. I had been subject to that for years and always thought it was weird. Hunger is much milder and more rational when you're eating the right things.

• 8 months later...

This is my first W30, I'm trying to decide whether to stay on the W30 longer, since I have about 50lb to lose. I have been doing it for 17-days and haven't weighed myself, waiting for the W30 to be over, but I'm guessing that I'll still be looking at close to 45lb to lose. I'm considering not going off the plan until I'm much closer to my goal weight. I weigh 185lb and am 5'4". I'm hoping to weigh close to 130lb, to be in the optimal BMI for my height. Even if I get to 140lb, that would be amazing. I'm exercising almost daily and feeling stronger and better all the time. Any advice???

Trust the plan. When you finish a meal, stop, do something else, and THEN decide if you are hungry and need more. If you think so - offer yourself you won't really like, and see if you still want it. Fish, steamed broccoli, etc. Still hungry? Then you can eat some more.

The pause for me (I'm not, nor have I been, overweight, but my hunger signals were VERY messed up) was what helped. Being full of grains is a very different feeling than feeling full of real food. I have trouble eating even gluten-free grain-based meals anymore, because my body isn't sure if I'm hungry or not. I almost made myself sick on gluten-free pasta a few months ago, because I ate until the full feeling of non-grains set in, but then the pasta swelled and I was in some SERIOUS overeating pain. I've managed to avoid that feeling when eating grains while not on a W30 since then, but it was a shock to me. If it'd been meat and broccoli, I'd have not been in that kind of pain.

Sleep. You need it. You won't lose weight without it.

Pray, meditate, whatever it is that helps you relax regularly (part of the 9 in Whole 9). I went to the doctor's today...I have a thing about them. I hate getting my BP taken. I freak out, then my BP is high. First time they took it, 159/89. She gave me a few minutes off, and I prayed. When she put it back on - 126/85. Find your thing that helps you spiritually, and DO IT. 

There's nothing saying that you can't keep on W30ing long after day 30. Eat good, nourishing food, and enjoy it when you do. 

I'm overweight (started W30 around 275 lbs and not great body comp.) and definitely have some bingeing issues, hunger and satiety signal problems, etc.

Today is Day 29 of my (slightly imperfect) first W30.  So far, here are the ways I've been working with it:

- Trusting the template.  I am not going to starve on a palm of protein, an avocado, and a heap of veg 3x a day.  I'm really, really not.

- Fat is my friend.  My meat can have fat on and in it.  My coconut milk should not be "lite."  I do not fear guacamole. 

- Hydrating.  I really am less hungry at weird times if I hydrate properly.

- Starchy, dense vegetables.  Sweet potatoes, beets, carrots, etc. are yummy and filling, and are important to have alongside the leafy green ones because they've got lots of nutrients and take the body time and effort to digest.

- Mini Meals.  If I really, really am hungry, and it doesn't go away, I'll make a mini meal according to the template.

My execution hasn't been perfect.  Solstice was on-plan but off template at dinner (holiday feasting!), and I had a week where my hunger signals were a mess, and one night I was like, "Argh, my body just wants me to eat a bunch of walnuts!" and...well, yeah.  That actually helped. 

But, you know, I'm also pushing 34, have been eating badly most of my life, and came into the W30 after a month of working 75 hour weeks and subsisting on McChickens.  I'll be finishing this W30 with better habits and an expanded palate, more food skills, and more experience with my hunger/satiety signals in a way that I never did with a points or calorie system.  And honestly, letting go of the calorie/points mentality and looking at things like portion and what I'm consuming has helped me a lot. 

Last year I went from being incredibly sick, to feeling quite good AND losing weight (I have a huge amount of weight to lose, it's going to take quite a while).

You don't need to measure calories to lose weight*, but you do need to be healthy. Don't just measure your progress in how your clothes fit, or a scale, measure your health, your muscle definition, your skin, your eyes, the whole everything.

I'm also morbidly obese, some of my learnings over the last 12 months:

• Skipping breakfast messes with my appetite and my metabolism and not in a good way. It's a must, every day.
  • I have massive inflammation, I didn't realise how bad it was until a bunch of it went away when I got rid of wheat & other grains. I did have improvement eliminating nightshades, but when re-introducing them, I kept the volumes low and 99% of the benefits too :) I was just having too many nightshades before. I may try the autoimmune protocol at some point, but not yet.
  • I needed more fat and less protein (I was on high protein as I had been consistently burning up my muscle mass which was making me very sick).
  • Volume of food and calories - I think I eat more food now (probably more calories too) than I have ever eaten in my life. I've been on some kind of restricted eating since I was 13. Counting calories doesn't work for me, if it did, I wouldn't be morbidly obese. I eat more and exercising less (I was a "chronic cardio" person) and I'm losing more weight, my doctor is surprised :) 
  • Get treatment for any health issues you have, be persistent.
  • I have chronic sinusitis, I've had surgery, the works. I have had more sinus improvement on Whole30 than in 7 years of professional treatment.
  • Now I can breathe a lot better, it sure makes working out a lot easier :) I still have off days, but they're manageable.
  • I'm pretty sure I have cortisol problems, which I'm waiting on tests for.
  • I ditched cardio and switched to lifting heavy things and had a HUGE improvement (this may be the cortisol) in my health and weightloss. I also moved my workout to the evening and not the morning (cortisol levels are lower then).
  • Keeping control of the sugar dragon and my blood sugar is critical to my health, anything that results in a sugar spike isn't a "treat" it's just mean to my body. For me, I have to watch the amount of starchy carbs I have, but I can still eat sweet potato and pumpkin regularly (I just have them in smaller amounts). 
  • I've added magnesium, vitamin D3, CoQ10 and vitamin C supplements. The magnesium and Vitamin D3 make a huge difference. I'm now experimenting with natural food sources of Vitamin K too.
  • Sleep is still my biggest issue, I need to get more of it, every day, consistently. I'm an ex-insomniac and I've worked rotating shift work for over 10 years and it's taken it's toll. I'm now in a 99% day job, but it sometimes has long hours and I have trouble staying awake too late.

* the next time someone tells me the human body is a closed system, I will ask them when they last ate their own poop lol

• 10 months later...

I know you don't want to hear this but personally, I feel if you continue counting, carbs or calories you're defeating the whole spirit of the W30. W30 is specifically designed to change your relationship with food, to learn to listen to what your body wants and needs. I know it's really scary, especially at the beginning but it does, if done properly, really teach you to listen to your body. Your body does know what's best for it, we just have to learn to trust it.

If you're still counting calories you're basically saying to your body, 'I don't trust you, I'm going to stay in control of how much and what you get, not you.' This is coming from one who used to scrupulously note down carbs, calories and weight every day. Trust me, W30 is different from any other paleo program. It's been meticulously designed to give you everything you need and let your body be the best it can be.

Follow the W30 meal templates, eat compliant food, listen to your body as it starts to communicate with you, it will tell you how much it needs, and you'll end up with a totally normal relationship with food (something I thought I'd never have) as your body gets on with it's job of releasing the crap and getting to it's ideal weight. Isn't that better than a lifetime spent weighing, measuring, counting and worrying about what you eat?

Yes, it is.   I don't want a life like that.

• 6 months later...

** I was reading through the posts in the 'Medical Condition' section specifically looking for a thread that focused on Whole 30 and Obesity when I stumbled across this series of posts from 2012. I'm sending this note today to see if there is any interest in resuming a discussion about this topic. Do you have questions, comments or concerns to share on this thread? **

Hi Grgtt!

I am on day 6 of my first W30 - I have about 100 lbs to loose. For years, I have been obsessed with food in an unhealthy way and hope to break this exhausting relationship once and for all.  Even though the W30 program is not a quick fix, I realize it is the best way to get healthy and feeling good again. I have a long journey ahead!  

Yesterday, I bought a huge tub of coconut oil from Costco.  I am very inexperienced with coconut oil for cooking so I am excited to test it out on my roasted cauliflower tonight.  Currently, I am sitting here with it in my hair... there is just so much you can do with it! lol.

Looking forward to resuming this thread... :)

I can't add to this from personal experience since I've never been overweight (a little rounder than I'd like at various points, but not clinically overweight) but I can say that there are lots of W30 and paleo success stories of folks who used to be obese and now 1) are normal weight and healthy and 2) have truly transformed their relationships with food. All without counting/measuring/points etc. I find these stories incredibly moving and inspiring; there's a deep transformation that goes way beyond weight loss, and the change is real and sustainable. If you've always mistrusted your body and feel that you must control everything that goes into your mouth you might just not be able to imagine this yet but that doesn't mean it's not possible! It will just take time and patience (and W30 guidelines  :)).

It seems that making notes of what you eat (not numbers, just a note of what's on your plate) and how you feel each day is genuinely helpful and in the spirit of W30, and then - way, way down the road (you'll know when because you realize that you trust your body and your hunger) - you may find that you're inspired to add little tweaks re: meal timing, carb/fat/protein ratios, intensity/timing of exercise, etc. But if I were guiding anyone starting this path I would suggest a W30 and then a full year of very close to compliant eating before trying to tweak anything. The basic template and guidelines are powerful and incredibly effective. That's all you need for a long while, and you'll get more out of them if you don't second guess them along the way.

If you're just starting out, go to the success stories and start at the beginning - read them all! One page/day for your W30.

Hi Katiepea83 and New2Whole30 - My suggestions to you would be gentle and patient with yourselves. I'm on day 22 of my second attempt. The first time around I didn't have a craving or food temptation that took me of track; I just had a very, very bad day. I let an emotional moment get the best of me and made a stupid decision to take refuge in a single scoop of my old seducers, Ben and Jerry. Since that encounter I've had a high energy, no problem W30 program. I'm looking forward to finishing these last 9 days while I use the W30 guidelines http://whole30.com/step-two-finished/ to make plans to transition into a longer term plan to keep improving my health. That's of special importance to me because, as I've mentioned in other forum posts, I have some serious health problems.  

I resumed this thread because I was interested in sharing information and discussing challenges, questions and feedback with others who share the experience of having a considerable amount of weight to lose. It was great to hear from both of you. Keep up the good work and please post your questions and feedback so we can keep each other encouraged.

Good Morning all!  I have just recovered from a 3 day migraine....I think it has something to do with all the raw garlic I have been consuming and the rainy weather we have been having.  My appetite is back and feeling so much better!

MeGa"gardner" & Carrots&Blueberries - I have been reading some of the success stories and they are so insparational and motivating.  If I am having a rough moment I know I can jump on and be instantly uplifted and set straight on my journey.  I also agree that I need to stick to the basic template, once I master that, I will be able to be more adventerous! My issue has always been overeating to the point where I am so uncomfortable; so much of the journey will be reteaching myself how to eat and getting my body to where it feels satisfied with the meals I make.

Grgtt - Great job!  Yes, the long term plan is so important to me as well.  I know that if my body is feuled with the proper food it will beging the healing process, then the weight will just go naturally over time.

New2Whole30 - Let do this!  Its so important to have support and understanding while taking this journey.  I will be here! :)  Have you started your round yet?

What is everyone's thoughts on exercise?  I was thinking of joining Curves just to get myself moving.  I walk alot at work but would love to do some sort of weight circuit.  I really think it would improve my mood too. 

Hi everyone-

I'm so glad I found this thread today. Feels like home to me.. I am on day 9 of my first w30. I weigh 260 and have relied on food in an unhealthy way since I was a small child. Food is both my best friend and my worst enemy and I really really want to be free. I don't trust my body and I've never sustained physical self-care. I want to live and I have much to live for.

At my top weight of 375lbs in 1999, I had gastric bypass surgery. I maintained a 200lb weight loss for about 6 years (with great struggle). I'm wondering about w30 expertise on this topic. Because I have an altered GI system, are there any special guidelines for me? How about issues with nutrient absorption? Is there anyone out there with similar questions?

When I started w30 I had been existing on processed carbs and sweets for a number of months. Rarely eating vegetables or fruit, tons of artificial sweetener and caffeine. I have become more sedentary than ever and feel constantly fatigued. Also suffering with insomnia, joint pain, isolation & depression, GI disturbances.

I am thrilled to report that I have had three great nights of sleep, gas and diarrhea mostly gone, cravings have not been too horrible. I am still very fatigued. I'm hoping that the energy surge will arrive any day.

I'm fully dedicated to me and my w30, no matter what. I am cautiously optimistic and hopeful that freedom is possible for me. Thanks to the forum and the moderators for all this cyber-support. I sure need it.

Here's to Day 9! I can do this.

Katiepea

You'll love doing a compliant W30

The changes that naturally happen are beyond expectations keep up the good work It's so worth it

See members like SpinSpin and MeadowLily

Check their stories...remarkable!

How do I find the stories of SpinSpin and MeadowLily? (I'm not overly experienced with technology - but I can learn)

I've been suffering from gallbladder issues, so am doing some cleanses that involve low to no fat for weeks at a time, I've found it hard to do paleo-since meat is limited during those weeks. My efforts are heading in the no to little processed food realm. I'm trying to fill up on delicious, wholesome foods, 3 meals a day. I am eating grains and legumes at times, which as you know is not on the whole 30. I have about 60lb to lose. The most immediate issue is staving off needing a gallbladder surgery.

Archived