Went off-track for Christmas - huge mistake!

BethAnne

I decided I would eat whatever I wanted for Christmas. I didn't go crazy but it started when I went to a french restaurant with my husband and had wine, bread, cheese and whatever creamy sauce was on my salmon. Then I had to go out of town and wasn't super careful and had a drink with my boss. Then decided to have wine and pizza in case it really was the end of the world on 12/21. Silly, I know. Had a couple christmas cookies, had wine, cheese, and gluten on Christmas eve. Then had the most spectacularly crappy fight with hubby Christmas Eve and then again on Christmas day and have been horribly depressed ever since.

I was struggling with depression before my whole 30 in September/October but then I felt so great and after a week of eating sugar and gluten and drinking booze I am practically suicidal. I don't want to ever eat or drink like that again. Has anyone had such a severe reaction like this before?

Absolutely. And let me start by saying if you truly are feeling that horribly, please go talk to friends or doctors to be sure you are safe. As for how food effects people, I know through my whole30s that food and alcohol directly impacts my emotional and mental health. I WITHOUT FAIL feel anxious and depressed for several days after any slipping or binging I do, especially after booze. I never realize what's causing it though until I get back on the wagon for a week or two. I've gone through this cycle so many times that every time it happens and I'm surprised I feel like quite an idiot but there's no denying the connection for me. Crappy food and drink make me feel crappy about life and about myself. This, more than physical appearance or health, has trumped all motivators for me to eat well. Start again and know that the connection is real and there are happy days on the other side.

I did a Whole 100 over the summer, and then stayed mostly compliant since then. I was amazed at how good i felt during this time.

I made it through Thanksgiving, and most of the holiday parties without any sugar, flour, chocolate, wine, etc. I felt great, and was proudly looking forward to celebrating 180 days of no sugar on Christmas Day. Sadly, I did not make it. A few days before, I had a piece of chocolate which gave me a stomach ache that emanated from the 7th circle of hell. I forgave myself that transgression but over the next few days I continued to sample a few non-compliant foods.

I didn't go crazy and my portions were small-a little wine here, a few bites of a cannoli there, etc, and i've since gotten back on the Compliant Horse. However, I've noticed my cravings over the last few days have been terrible-borderline uncontrollable. My stomach hurts all the time, and I've been feeling very tired and run down, with frequent bouts of the blahs. Like you, depression can be an issue for me, and eating clean has helped tremendously.

Even after my own experiences, I am still amazed at how negatively (and positively) food can affect us. Don't beat yourself up over this. Consider it an experiment to prove to yourself that clean eating is really right for you. Wishing you the best. :-)

Lisa

Thanks Johnny M and LRM. It's nice to know I am not alone. I just can't wait to feel better again. You're right that this was a good lesson although it's too bad Christmas waskinda ruined. Now I know it is definately not worth it!!!! I feel grateful to have discovered the Whole9 and Whole30 and wish I would have known about it a long time ago. I had no idea that gluten sensitivity could cause depression. It seems so stupid to have struggled for so long when the answer was so simple.

You're right, BethAnne, the answer really is so simple. For years doctors tried to fix my ailments with pills. If I had listened, I would now be taking so many pills that I would never be able to eat. It was my trainer who helped me to realize that food is medicine. I wish more doctors would think like this. How many of us have healed so much just by saying 'no' to pills and 'yes' to avocados ( or something along those lines)?

There's a huge W30 movement getting started on Jan 1. I hope you'll join. Personally I am planning a Whole 45. Regardless, this site is an amazing source for information, advice and support. I am sorry your Christmas was ruined and I hope your New Year's is much better.

Lisa

Before eating Paleo and even more so W30... I had panic attacks and bouts of depression and horrible mood swings.... Now I'm am off all meds and feeling like a new person!!! I am so even keeled and happy all the time I don't think I'll ever chance eating sugar again.....

Be thankful that you realize the connection and choose to feel great!!!

I have had the same experience as everyone else - a shocking difference between how I feel when eating clean and when eating off-plan. Off plan I have wild mood swings, depression that comes on suddenly and feels very scary, and physical symptoms that are really really troublesome. And this is without any diagnosed condition. I have just spent years fighting my body to try to get it to calm down, and now I don't have to. Just eat whole foods. What a relief.

It really is amazing that we continue to go back, knowing how much better we all feel when we are 'compliant. I found the chapter on why this is so in ISWF really interesting. Also means staying vigilant and watching the off-road days, particularly given your reaction LRM after such a long "whole" period.

It really is amazing that we continue to go back, knowing how much better we all feel when we are 'compliant. I found the chapter on why this is so in ISWF really interesting. Also means staying vigilant and watching the off-road days, particularly given your reaction LRM after such a long "whole" period.

I have been so surprised to discover that the foods that I used to love, I no longer love, and they certainly don't love me! It's such a great analogy to life in general. What really works is clean and simple, with lots of spice and variety. A motto for eating and for life.

I went off plan as well for Chrissy - big time! I must have eaten a truckload of ice cream and chocolate....mmmm.... but felt just awful for the next few days, stayed in bed for about 24 hours (while my poor 8 year old was planted in front of the computer for the whole day - eep!). My hair's been falling out again, I'm sluggish and energyless.... anyway I've started another Whole30 and am hoping I get back to the way I was feeling before! So glad I did go off road though, I truly realise now that no amount of ice cream is worth it, as I'm sure you do too! I think it's nice to have that concrete knowledge that avoiding certain foods will avoid the health problems that many of us have been plagued with before starting Whole30 :)

Agree, agree, agree. I didn't even realise there was low level anxiety drumming away in the background until it went away! After a while I think off-roading becomes a considered, one-off event where you're much more likely to weigh up the risks and then decide whether you're willing to pay the price. And you need the knowledge from the crashes to work that out. So file it away under important information and get right back up.

Here's to a Whole2013!

I totally agree. There is no way I can imagine returning to the full fledged sugar-intense lifestyle I had before. The anxiety, like you say, is so constant. I spent years in therapy battling myself - while drinking fully caffeinated, sugared, dairy-laden coffee! I had no chance! Haha

Archived