Cooking with Animal Fat

chelle81!

So I bought some duck fat - do I just use it like I would use olive oil?

I tried to cook meat with coconut oil and it is so awful - I couldn't even eat what I made - YUCK! So I'm hoping cooking with animal fat will be better ... but want to make sure that I have the right idea before I ruin more crazy expensive meat!

Help!

I hate the taste of coconut oil for cooking too!...I made eggs with it once and almost puked, so gross! I can't find any of the fancy refined flavourless stuff so I cook with tallow or lard I render myself but I'm sure that duck fat is yummo!

I had to get the refined for my hubby too to say he is not a coconut fan is putting it mildly! I also cook with ghee a lot. Eggs are so yummy in ghee! I also save the fat from broth and cook with that. I skim the fat early on in the broth making process so it doesn't oxidize. Any fat that is left over though, I toss. I also mix the broth fat in my dog's food for 'gravy'.

I absolutely adore the fat i get from my bone broth. i just sliced a couple of large leeks sauteed them in it added loads of sliced brussel sprouts, stir that all around, add about a cupful of the bone broth, put the lid on and steam it and at the very end, cook on high, uncovered till liquid evaporates. I could seriously eat that with anything.

My question is, how long does the fat off the bones keep?

My question is, how long does the fat off the bones keep?

Most generic answer of the day: Until it's bad. Seriously, though, give it a sniff every once in awhile. If it still smells fine, it's probably just fine.

Unless (like my hubs) you have no sense of smell. Then ignore my answer in favor of something sciency.

Archived