Stories from the trenches

Robin Strathdee

Okay friends, I want to hear your funny kid food stories. Especially if you're transitioning your kids to a more Good Food diet.

Here's mine:

When my oldest was 2ish, she had a tendency to ask for food and then not eat it (I think every kid does). So, we made a rule that if she asked for something, she had to eat at least one bite. One morning, she asked for a bite of my eggs (which she didn't, and still doesn't actually like). So, being the loving mom that I am, I gave her the LAST bite of my eggs. She took the bite off my fork and IMMEDIATELY tried to spit it out. Well, I was not going to have that. So, I told her she could not, under any circumstances spit it out.

*Side note - she is extremely precocious and has acted like a 14 year old since her second birthday

So she kept it in her mouth. She cried, she whined, she begged, she drooled, she refused to swallow that egg. After about 25 minutes, she tripped and fell and the egg bounced across the floor. I didn't have the heart to make her eat it after that, but I think she learned a lesson. :blink:

My 3 year old is a little mimic right now, loves to do everything Mama does. When I first started the paleo thing and ventured into bone broth she was so excited about it. She loved getting the bones from the different places and now she pretend plays making bone broth, or "bone broff" as she says it. She recently watched me make a batch of mayo so she has added mayo making to her play routine. She'll bring me a tiny pink tea cup and say "Dis your bone broff Mama". My paleo babies :wub:

This isn't necessarily a funny story, but I wanted to share it nonetheless: while we were with family over break, my SIL, who feeds her kids total crap and scoffs at Baby V (who was 13 3/4 months at the time) eating no junk food, called me, amazed that V ate 3 scrambled eggs and an entire avocado for breakfast....and then requested a snack 2 hours later. All that food for a baby in the 1st percentile for height and 25th percentile for weight (we grow short, petite female babies in our family). Where on earth is she putting it all?!

My 3 year old is a little mimic right now, loves to do everything Mama does. When I first started the paleo thing and ventured into bone broth she was so excited about it. She loved getting the bones from the different places and now she pretend plays making bone broth, or "bone broff" as she says it. She recently watched me make a batch of mayo so she has added mayo making to her play routine. She'll bring me a tiny pink tea cup and say "Dis your bone broff Mama". My paleo babies :wub:

OMG, adorable!

I don't have too many stories yet about my 16 month old. I will not be making her go completely Whole30 with me but am going to transition out the total junk (goldfish, crackers, etc). She eats like a champ though, veggies, fruit, eggs, meat, she loves it all. Like baby V she will put away multiple eggs and an avocado for breakfast and be ready for a snack mid morning! I love it! I want to make sure she is getting enough calcium though so I will probably keep some of the yogurt and cheese in her diet, and she won't fall asleep yet without her nightly milk so.... yeah, that still happens.

My 11 yo boy professed that all this talk about changes is making him stressed out. In his words "I CANNOT live without milk (pretending to die)". Just yesterday I cut his milk consumpstion in half and he did not even blink an eye!

One day I just lost it and got fries from McDonalds (I know, bad!) I went to give one to our dog and my 8 year old said "Stop Mommy! Don't feed her unhealthy food. That's not Paleo." (We do a homemade grain free ancestral diet for the dogs too.)

• 2 weeks later...

My kids go to a great preschool that offers gluten free food, but also sticks to the food pyramid and is entirely vegetarian. Apparently, they were doing a food pyramid lesson and when the teacher was talking about examples of fats, my son yelled out "mayonnaise makes everything taste better!"

My other son, on his teachers birthday, organized the creation of a pretend cake for her on the playground. When they got to toppings, he asked whether she liked salsa. She said yes and he yelled to his friends "put some salsa on the cake!" He then asked if she liked wolf meat (no idea where he came up with that) and she said that she preferred sprinkles and frosting on cakes. He looked at her, very seriously, and said "no," then yelled to his friends "put some wolf meat on the cake!" (He absolutely requested frosting on his own birthday cake, though).

• 1 month later...

i've been trying to eat fairly healthy pretty much for as long as i can remember, but i let things slide and had spent quite a few years as a vegetarian, so it's really funny that shortly after starting to eat meat and trying to eat a little more paleo or primal my kids started asking about meat and what animals can be eaten (they now want to try to catch the neighborhood squirrels to eat, and learn to hunt), but my father said he had some deer meat and they kept going on and on about getting to have some "meat deer", however once i made it into a stew they were not so sure that they wanted it anymore...now they say they want to give it another try, though.

also, since i've been eating better and trying to encourage them to eat better. my grandmother who will be moving in with us soon is having a lot of health issues, so they ask a lot about health and death and told her that she needs to "stop eating all that junk and eat more healthy, like us so you can live a really long time, maybe forever"...i don't know about living forever, but i'm sure they did hit the nail on the head with her needing to stop eating junk and eat more like us.

also, my mom got diagnosed with diabetes about 2 years ago and i had a grandpa who died from diabetes related complications when the kids were babies so they are always on everyone's case about "if you eat that junk you'll get diabetes and die".

Roadkill. That's awesome.

Another one from my house:

There was a birthday celebration at my kiddos Montessori school a couple of weeks ago. Upon finding out (very last minute) that my girls are GF, the mom went to serious effort (special order from a local bakery that usually requires 48 hours advance notice) to find GF cupcakes for my two.

*Let me insert here how appreciative I am of that. Most folks never give it a second though. And, while I'd rather they NOT bring cupcakes, this mom went above and beyond to help my two feel included. *

Well, the cupcakes came out with what my 5 year old calls "a MOUNTAIN of green frosting". When I picked the girls up that day, the little one told me she had a tummy ache because she ate a cupcake. I kind of dismissed it, because sometimes she says things like that, but as the day progressed she got worse and worse. Now, she'd never vomited before that night. Ever. Not even as a baby. But, about 9pm, up comes a fountain of green foam. And then again. And again. Until all the green was gone.

As if it weren't bad enough, the sugar lowered her immune system just enough to let the stomach bug take hold for a day. Thankfully, it wasn't the week long process, but still. She's a bit averse to cupcakes now.

robin that story about the cupcakes...wow!

so...yesterday the kids celebrated the 100th day of the school year and one of my sons' classes made necklaces out of 100 fruitloops. he was so proud "momma it looks like those pretty hawaii neclaces of flowers!" i said "oh, yes. honey, you are right it kind of looks like a lei!" he said "my teacher said we could eat them." i said "um...well, it's not the most healthy thing, but technically you could eat it"...he started eating it...his brother looked at me,then looked at him and said "dude, you know that has food colors and chemical stuff and you'll have green poop?!" i couldn't help but laugh a little.

It's funny what they pick up from us. Or what they hear versus what we think we say. I have had to temper my use of the word "poison" (definition: anything I won't eat) after I heard my daughter was using it to evaluate her friends' lunches at school.

My other son, on his teachers birthday, organized the creation of a pretend cake for her

on the playground...He then asked if she liked wolf meat (no idea where he came up with that) and she said that she preferred sprinkles and frosting on cakes. He looked at her, very

seriously, and said "no," then yelled to his

friends "put some wolf meat on the cake!"

I've had the hardest time this past week getting my 6 year old son to eat any meat, no matter what I do. He's living on nuts and eggs and fruit and sauerkraut. Today as I was finishing up my lunch, it dawned on me: WOLFMEAT! I asked him if he wanted some wolfmeat (actually cold sliced roasted tri tip steak) and he said yes. I had to throw in "the more you eat the more wolflike you will become". He only ate one slice, but still, small victories.

It's funny what they pick up from us. Or what they hear versus what we think we say. I have had to temper my use of the word "poison" (definition: anything I won't eat) after I heard my daughter was using it to evaluate her friends' lunches at school.

that reminds me...my kids tell me "my friends eat too much junk food. they tell me it is healthy, but i know it is junk food." and oen had an argument with his teacher last year over lunch (their pre-school wouldn't let me send lunch so they had to eat what wa sprovided and one day he realized some of it was not that healthy) he came home and said "i told Ms____ that it was junk food and wouldn't eat the chicken nuggets, but she told me it was healthy." i told him that according to some flawed government agencies it was healthy food, but mommy eats even healthier than that...now he thinks he's the food police and can tell everyone that they are not eating as healthy as he does.

ok...so my sister and i did a quick grocery run with my boys today...one shopped with me and one went with her...the one that went with her looked in her cart and said "you eat a lot of junk food! i need to teach you to eat healthy foods, you know that could give you diabetes, nunna has diabetes, then you have to get shots all the time, like nunna...i hate shots." at 5 years old he's trying to teach his aunt and cousins what to eat...LMAO. maybe he'll have better luck than me.

• 1 month later...

My 10yo daughter is an athlete. She now decides what foods to eat based on whether they will help her be stronger. She is starting to reject dairy on her own accord (as oppsed to me restricting it) because she knows it will aggravate her asthma and interfere with her sports.

My son, her twin brother, was less enthused about our healthier eating until she started pulling ahead in height and weight. No complaints anymore!

Archived