Breakfast an hour after getting up?

Hello :)

So, today is my day one and I have a question about breakfast. I read in ISWF that breakfast should be eaten up to an hour after waking. This is a bit of a trouble for me... I never skip breakfast, but I usually get up before 6 am, brush my teeth, feed the cat, grab my coffee and leave asap. I take my breakfast and lunch with me to the office, but it means that I get to eat about 2.5 - 3 hours after I get up. By then I get really hungry. I don't really like the idea of eating at 6 am... I tried before and noticed that if I eat before I'm fully conscious, my stomach somehow "forgets" that it got food and I'm hungry again as soon as I really wake up ;) So I have to literally stuff food into myself at a totally indecent hour and then I want to eat again 2 hours later...

When do you eat your b-fast? Do you keep the 1 hour from waking "deadline"?

I've struggled with this in the past as well, and this is what I've come up with for myself for this time through. It may or may not work for you.

I am up every morning at 4. Sometimes I exercise right off, sometimes I don't. Either way, before I leave the house at around 515, I eat a hard boiled egg and a bit of raw fruit or vege. And a sardine. And then I eat a regular breakfast between 730 and 8. If I do this, I find I'm not as hungry for the rest of the day so I eat a smaller lunch and dinner.

Good morning! Most days I have breakfast ready within an hour of waking. I get up at 5am and am usually eating breakfast by 5:45.

By following the food template, there is no way you will forget you had eaten breakfast. I can go from 5:45 breakfast to an 11:45 lunch with no problems.

Try it! Initially it may be hard, but it is a very healthy habit to get into!

My guess is that it was not your stomach forgetting that you had eaten but rather it was the foods you were eating (most likely a breakfast of grains and sugar and whatever you put in your coffee) that were not providing enough satiety and thus you were hungry right away. Following the template and eating AT LEAST 2 cups of veggies with your breakfast, I promise will keep you full. I think most people are woefully low on veggies ESPECIALLY at breakfast. Coffee is also an appetite suppressant.

Eating breakfast is mega important and forcing yourself to do if even if you don't want to or "aren't hungry" is going to really help with balancing out your hormones which will help you be hungry in the mornings. Waiting until you are ravenous is a terrible idea. I am only hungry in the morning. I do not feel typical hunger cues past 6am. I now simple eat at designated hours of about lunch and dinner. I can also go long stretches between meals now.

I always eat within an hour of waking. I had to fast yesterday morning for my BIA and it totally messed up my eating for the rest of the day (I am on Day 33 with 100% compliance so I am quite in tune with my body now).

So glad to read this thread this morning!! Breakfast is my challenge!! Today I was a little late...I'll do better tomorrow!! Pre-cooked veggies are the key! Everything else is quick. Now, just letting my body re-adjust and feel the hunger this early.

Funny thing is, when I IF I do have some hunger, usually around 9:30-10:00 (when waking at 6) but I would just ignore it, let it pass, and eat lunch at 1-2. I always thought this was "better" since it "allowed" me a bigger lunch and dinner. Obviously, this isn't the way for me. My Day 1 weigh in (on 1/1/13) was a full 25lbs. higher than 1/1/12!! So, I get to hit myself in the head (!) and learn that maybe I didn't have it right after all!!

I was originally disinclined to eat within an hour of waking, but I'm trying to do it as well. I love breakfast; it's my favorite meal, but I haven't always eaten right after waking (other than when I have to be at work at 6am!). In those instances, I can attest to my ability to work without much hunger from 5:45 until 11:30 or so, and I imagine this will be even better when I am more consistent with my diet.

Thanks for all your replies :)

So, today I was a good girl and managed to eat 2 eggs + some sweet potato, shredded coconut and almond butter for breakfast. I also had a small piece of pork roast. I had a hard time ingesting it at 6 am, but I did it :) I also want to migrate to savory breakfasts - my to-go breakfast before whole 30 was oats, yogurt + fruit or some other kind of sweet mush and I feel that I need to transition to meat/eggs + veggies because it will keep me more energized and also I'd like to ditch the "obligatory" sweet breakfast pattern. I'm giving myself a few days for this transition -baby steps :) For now, I stuffed all my nut butters into the freezer and plan to take them out in 4 weeks. Sad, but nut butters were definitely a food without breaks for me, which I realized in the morning when I found myself reaching for a second scoop of almond butter... I think I will also need to freeze chocolate, because it's looking at me every time I open the fridge ;)

Great topic! The "within one hour after waking" is definitely a challenge. I will figure out how I can make this happen for me once childrens' school is back in session. I am so focused on getting my kids out the door for school, come home have a cup of coffee, then force myself to eat some sort of breakfast around 9:00 (three + hours after waking). I suppose they will have to help more, and I will have to have some things for them and me ready to go. To make this happen today, I better get busy now!

I did it this morning!! Brekkie w/in 30 minutes!! I'm really excited to see how my body feels in a few hours. I was always in the camp that said "breakfast makes me hungry all day", so we'll see. I am trying to keep my starches for dinner, so my 1st meal yesterday and today was 2 eggs in co, coffee with coconut cream, veggies and 1/2 avocado.

A friend of mine who is a health coach says it's most important to get about 100 calories first thing in the morning. So if you could have something small, like an apple, and then something more when you got to work, I don't see anything wrong with that.

A friend of mine who is a health coach says it's most important to get about 100 calories first thing in the morning. So if you could have something small, like an apple, and then something more when you got to work, I don't see anything wrong with that.

For our purposes, it's really more important to get protein and fat in right away. It hormonally sets us up right for the rest of the day

Magda, it's smart of you to stash those nut butters away in the freezer. I learned during my last W30 attempt that a "small amount" of Sunbutter on an apple could easily turn into "an apple used as a spoon to eat ALL the Sunbutter"! A long time ago I posted here about not eating breakfast on the regular because I wasn't hungry. Once someone explained the fact that not being hungry in the morning indicates a hormonal imbalance or upset, and the fact that coffee (my morning go-to) is an appetite suppressant, I tried to eat breakfast every morning BEFORE having my coffee. It took about a week for my body to wise up, but then I started waking up feeling hungry and totally ready to eat. Breakfast really helps my energy levels stay solid through the day.

Thanks so much for posting! To be honest, I haven't really thought about changing my breakfast patterns. I get up between 7:30- 7:45 most mornings, and eat my breakfast when I sit down at my desk (usually about 9:15 if we're being honest). Is this long enough to be a problem? I am definitely in the 'not hungry in the morning camp,' and will actually get nauseous if I eat too soon after waking up.

My breakfast is usually a thermos of chicken stock (16-20 oz) with two beaten eggs. Since starting the w30 I've started adding a bunch of spinach to the thermos, which has worked well so far.

My other problem is that I have not yet reached the 'jumping out of bed' feeling described in the book (I'm on day 8 so trying not to expect too much too soon). I'm definitely trying to fight the 'tired but wired' feeling at night, which makes me stay up too late and average about 7.5 hours of sleep a night. Until I get that down, I don't think I'd be able to get up earlier to have time to make and eat breakfast before I leave for work.

Phew, sorry that got so long! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much for posting! To be honest, I haven't really thought about changing my breakfast patterns. I get up between 7:30- 7:45 most mornings, and eat my breakfast when I sit down at my desk (usually about 9:15 if we're being honest). ...

That's me, too, except move everything up an hour (awake around 6:30, get ready as fast as I can, hour long bus commute to work, and eating at my desk around 8 - 8:15).

My other problem is that I have not yet reached the 'jumping out of bed' feeling described in the book (I'm on day 8 so trying not to expect too much too soon). I'm definitely trying to fight the 'tired but wired' feeling at night, which makes me stay up too late and average about 7.5 hours of sleep a night. Until I get that down, I don't think I'd be able to get up earlier to have time to make and eat breakfast before I leave for work.

To be honest, they're related.

It's not a requirement that you eat within an hour of waking up, and if you can't, you can't...but just keep it in the back of your head as something to think about and something to maybe address later if you're still struggling with energy levels, etc.

I worried about that too....my kids all went back to school today. But since I already had their lunches packed last night, I did find the time to include my breakfast with theirs. A personal goal is to actually all sit at the table together......but I'm focusing on one realistic goal at a time now!

If you get in the habit your body will adjust to it. I was never a breakfast-eater before I started W30 last August and the thought of eating first thing turned my stomach. Usually it would be 3 or 4 hours or more before I would even eat anything at all. However, upon starting W30 I forced myself to adhere to the template and before long started waking up hungry. Now I wake up hungry every single day!

Thanks for all of the advice! Follow-up question - I'm usually not able to take my lunch break at work until somewhere between 1:00-2:30. A poster above mentioned eating lunch at 11:45, which to me seems more like breakfast time. :)

Does it make sense to try to force myself to eat earlier if I know that there will be a long amount of time between breakfast and lunch?

I'm also trying to follow the 'no snacking' aspect of the plan.

Breakfast is very difficult for me MWF which is when I am at Crossfit for the morning session. I find that if I eat 7 or 8 Macadamia's and maybe a couple slices of Prosciutto or an egg I am ok. I can onlyl handle one egg else I get indigestion, which is not great when you're hammering out wall balls and kettlebell swings. I then follow up with some chicken tenderloins and sweet potatoes. I am not sure I get 2 cups worth, as that is a bit difficult based on my crunched timeline, but maybe I need to come up with something other than sweet potatoes for my post work-out breakfast.

Archived