Sourcing food in Australia

glimmer

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evening everyone! 

About to start my next Whole 30 tomorrow morning, and finally got my husband to join in! 

I buy my coconut aminos and coconut oil from the Paleo Cafe, good price, but make sure you pick up the aminos and not the syrup, as my husband accidentally picked up the wrong one for me a few weeks ago, and had to exchange it. I often use it as a bit of dressing on a roast veg salad, which is what I usually have for lunch with some roasted meat. I also use it in Nom Nom's Asian Meatballs recipe, or if I need to marinate anything. I'm still having trouble getting W30 fish sauce though.... Will be down in Melbourne next month, might need to sniff it out then.... I've used anchovies in place of the fish sauce in recipes, obviously a different taste, but still unami. 

Aldi's prosciutto is just pork and salt, and crisps very nicely. As far as I can tell, none of their other hams etc are W30 ok. Their smoked salmon was though, which is very nice on eggs for breakfast, or with salad too. 

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm starting my first Whole 30 tomorrow and have been searching high and low for compliant bacon, so far I've had no luck. I will definitely check out the prosciutto at Aldi, thanks for the tip. I love bacon, and can't imagine 30 days without it.. hee hee

I've done a lot of prep work today and all organised for tomorrow.

If you have a European deli which stocks Bertocchi, you may be able to special order their Porchetta. It does however usually come in a large size (over a kilo). It's not bacon, but it's pretty awesome and much more like bacon to me than prosciutto (it's already cooked, but it's best fried).

http://www.bertocchi.com.au/ProductDetails.aspx?proid=68

• 3 weeks later...

Oh WOW! I can't believe I finally found this thread guys!!!! I've met a few of you (Praxisproject) etc on other threads, but didn't know this Aussie one existed till now!

I completed my first W30 on Jan 1 this year, and am doing another one on March 1 (via this new thread http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/25294-starting-march-1/),  with hubby this time.

After reading through the recent 'Wholesome #10" newsletter, I got a little frustrated that so many amazing products are available in the US to make W30 life just a little easier/more fun, and we here in Oz either can't import them or if we can, we have to wait for them to arrive. eg:

NEW! Whole30 Emergency Food Kit from Barefoot Provisions Emergency Food Kit. 

Does anyone share my frustration? Why don't we have similar products here, or if we do, why are they so hard to find?

• Administrators

Canadians have the same general issues. Although we are close neighbours (and in my case, 15 minutes away from the US border), we cannot import a lot of what they get and if we can, the shipping and duty are exorbitant.

When Mel Joulwan of started doing a Quarterly box, I looked into signing up. I think the box of goodies was $50 and the shipping was more than double, it was really ridiculous.

For me, I just pretend that stuff doesn't exist rather than try to get it and frustrate or bankrupt myself. And then I celebrate the things I can get....like grass fed lamb bones for stock.....for FREE from my cute butcher. :wub:

I hear you ladyshany! Rejoice in all the good stuff we can get... :D !

Does anyone know where we can locally access similar products to those in the Emergency Food Kit above? Surely there is a clever Paleo/Whole30 affilliated Australian company that does this...surely???? It would just save so much time & label reading if some emergency snacks were on hand and W30 compliant! <_<

I've also been wondering about the W9 South Pacific people that Melissa and Dallas have partnered up with. I never hear about them and I would have thought they could have started a forum for 'South Pacific Whole30er's'??? Does anyone have an insight to this?

leaC - I think they do more events than other things. I've seen quite a few noted, but have never been able to attend one myself :(

Hmm, maybe we should come up with an Aussie version of the Emergency kit? I think we'd need the nutrition labels of these items. Anything with meat we usually can't import.

and anyone who buys frozen berries in Australia, please read thishttp://www.businessinsider.com.au/four-cases-of-hepatitis-a-forces-a-national-recall-of-nannas-berries-imported-from-china-and-chile-2015-2

Originally only Nanna's brand frozen berries was on the list, but the list has been expanding. I'm personally holding off on all frozen berries for a few weeks, waiting to see more info. I'm lucky, I don't buy the mixed berries, but my confidence is not high in the other kinds from Creative Gourmet, due to the revision so far of which brands/kinds are included.

Hey Praxisproject - I agree re: the berries. I don't want Hep A so as long as we're not eating the berries from China, I think we should be OK.

Yes, that's what I thought re: the Emergency Kit products that contained meat. They're the ones that we can't import as you say.

The snack packs included in the Barefoot Provisions Emergency Kit cover the following categories so you can either have a complete mini meal, or use one of the other options and add it to your meal so you CAN create a complete meal in a flash.

• 3 complete mini-meals
  • 3 protein-only options
  • 3 healthy fat options
  • 3 veggie options

I might investigate this and see if I can come up with my own 'Aussie W30 Emergency Kit'  of course I'll share my findings with you! Don't you wish you owned a dehydrator in times like this....my vegetarian friend has a dehydrator, but I think it would be a bit off, asking her to bake some meat & fruit bars for me.... :lol: 

Woo hoo! Received my pack of jerky from Tassie today. I'm just getting together all the photos of the products I've selected for my 'Emergency Kit' and I'll share them with you soon....I'm starting my 2nd W30 on Sunday (March 1st) with a bunch of newbies, & some 2nd timers. Are there any Aussies looking to join us on March 1st?

OK, here it is:

Recently in #10 of the bi-weekly Wholesome email http://whole30.com/2...oot-provisions/, they talked about 'Food on the Fly' and in particular a W30 Emergency Kit by Barefoot Provisions (for $45). This contained:

3 complete mini-meals

3 protein-only options

3 healthy fat options

3 veggie options

The idea of which was, if you find yourself in a position where 'proper' compliant food is not available, and leaves you either having to skip a meal or makes you consider eating non compliant food, these 'processed' food options are a great backup.

Of course living in Australia, I couldn't purchase the kit, in particular the jerky. So I went on a quest to create my own kit, covering off the above 4 options.

If you're living in Australia, maybe this will help you...

1618460_870366326359296_5421806679787896

These were the only compliant products I could find...

Complete mini-meal - Combination of the below

Fruit only snack option (not to be eaten on its own) - FRUIT WISE 100% FRUIT - Ingredients: Dehydrated apple & apricot

Protein-only option - TRAVEL LITE TUCKER - Ingredients: King Island Prime Beef Jerk, Celtic & Rock Sea Salts

Healthy fat option - Nuts!

Veggie option - ORGANIC PREMIUM SEASONED LAVER (SEAWEED) Ingredients: Organic Laver, Organic Canola Oil, Sea Salt.

Veggie & Healthy Fat Option - FLATS (Zucchini & Almond) Ingredients: Zucchini, Almonds, Linseed, Water, Lemon Juice, Garlic, Thyme, Salt, Spices.

Note: I thought the SOMBA BITE (Fig & Wild Citrus) was compliant, but contains: Organic Figs, Organic Cashews, Organic Almonds, Organic Macadamias, Organic Pea Protein :angry:, Organic Coconut, Lemon Myrtle Blend, Orance Juice Powder, Kakadu Plum, Rosemary Extract, Himilayan Salt (just one pesky non-compliant ingredient)...

Total cost for 3 mini meals, 3 veggie options, 3 protein only options, 3 fat only options - approx A$38.00.

If you're in another country, maybe you could create your own emergency kit? Lot's of luck everyone..... xx

• Administrators

OK, here it is:

Recently in #10 of the bi-weekly Wholesome email http://whole30.com/2...oot-provisions/, they talked about 'Food on the Fly' and in particular a W30 Emergency Kit by Barefoot Provisions (for $45). This contained:

3 complete mini-meals

3 protein-only options

3 healthy fat options

3 veggie options

The idea of which was, if you find yourself in a position where 'proper' compliant food is not available, and leaves you either having to skip a meal or makes you consider eating non compliant food, these 'processed' food options are a great backup.

Of course living in Australia, I couldn't purchase the kit, in particular the jerky. So I went on a quest to create my own kit, covering off the above 4 options.

If you're living in Australia, maybe this will help you...

1618460_870366326359296_5421806679787896

These were the only compliant products I could find...

Complete mini-meal - Combination of the below

Fruit only snack option (not to be eaten on its own) - FRUIT WISE 100% FRUIT - Ingredients: Dehydrated apple & apricot

Protein-only option - TRAVEL LITE TUCKER - Ingredients: King Island Prime Beef Jerk, Celtic & Rock Sea Salts

Healthy fat option - Nuts!

Veggie option - ORGANIC PREMIUM SEASONED LAVER (SEAWEED) Ingredients: Organic Laver, Organic Canola Oil, Sea Salt.

Veggie & Healthy Fat Option - FLATS (Zucchini & Almond) Ingredients: Zucchini, Almonds, Linseed, Water, Lemon Juice, Garlic, Thyme, Salt, Spices.

Note: I thought the SOMBA BITE (Fig & Wild Citrus) was compliant, but contains: Organic Figs, Organic Cashews, Organic Almonds, Organic Macadamias, Organic Pea Protein :angry:, Organic Coconut, Lemon Myrtle Blend, Orance Juice Powder, Kakadu Plum, Rosemary Extract, Himilayan Salt (just one pesky non-compliant ingredient)...

Total cost for 3 mini meals, 3 veggie options, 3 protein only options, 3 fat only options - approx A$38.00.

If you're in another country, maybe you could create your own emergency kit? Lot's of luck everyone..... xx

I hate to burst your bubble but the Canola Oil in the seaweed would make it....er.....technically non compliant. Canola is only permitted if you are eating out and cannot avoid it, not if you are purchasing ingredients or food products. :'(

Hi Lady Shanny, yes true, but this IS an Emergency Kit - not a daily food substituion. Canola is compliant as you say in eating out circumstances - so my decision to allow it in an emergency won't let me lose any sleep. Shame I couldn't find the olive oil variety here in Australia...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all the Aussies out there. You are VERY quiet!

Not sure if anyone lives in the North West of Sydney (like me), but I just happened upon an amazing place called "Flame N Chooks" Lebanese Cuisine, at Round Corner, Dural. Check out their FB page https://www.facebook.com/flamenchook?rf=261916650584646

These guys are open 7 days, they offer gorgeous homemade Lebanese food without added sugar, gluten, other nasties. Even their tabouli is gluten free (no cracked wheat)! They have grilled fish, butterflied grilled chicken with lemon & fresh locally grown herbs - a Whole30er's gourmet delight!

I bought enough food there today for lunch AND dinner, and next time I'm doing a Macca's run for my teenagers, our nearby take-away option will be this place!!! :D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived