Sourcing food in Australia

glimmer

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made osso bucco for the first time about a week ago... Oh my it's amazing! No wonder it's such a classic dish :) feels so nourishing to eat as well...I'd much rather get my calcium from that than moo juice!

Cool, thanks Moggle. I only have a tiny freezer, so would definitely have to reduce it down a lot.

I usually reduce it down to a small rectangular take-away container (the ones that are about an inch to an inch and a half high) but you could make it smaller and then add more water when you're ready to use it.

I haven't seen any good chorizo, I'm thinking I need to find a butcher who actually makes it.

I found a great chorizo for post whole30, it's called Skara smoked chorizo. It's made with humane choice certified pork, and the only non compliant ingred is sugar, but only 0.6g/100g so nothing to worry too much about! I got it at Panetta fruits in Gladesville.

• 4 weeks later...

Rara1982, I have been looking for coconut aminos ... is the offer of getting it from LA still stand ... or have I missed the bus? I live in Sydney as well... and the organic one have sugar in them...

Thanks Franter

• 2 weeks later...

So glad I found this post! I'm also after coconut aminos and from what google tells me Coconut Secret is the best brand (organic and no added sugar) but I can't find it ANYWHERE in oz...I'm about to bite the bullet and get it shipped from the US (or I think I can get it direct from Fiji?) anyway... would anyone be interested in joining in and getting an order?? :)

So glad I found this post! I'm also after coconut aminos and from what google tells me Coconut Secret is the best brand (organic and no added sugar) but I can't find it ANYWHERE in oz...I'm about to bite the bullet and get it shipped from the US (or I think I can get it direct from Fiji?) anyway... would anyone be interested in joining in and getting an order?? :)

Not sure if you saw above, but you can get it at About Life - I've seen it at the Cammeray store, but I'm sure Rozelle and Bondi would have it too.

No I didn't but a BIG thank you!! (I couldn't read through the whole thread because I was at work lol) I'm on the central coast but in Syd a few times a month so will go and check them out.. :)

I thought I'd finally found Coconut Aminos in the IGA in Wembley (Perth) and then had two disappoints:

$10.95 for a not-very-big bottle. Lame.

And it turned out to be "Coconut Amino Sauce" which meant it had stuff like coconut sugar in it. The search continues ...

And does anyone know of good places to get dried fruit? Brand stores, unless you're in Perth in which case please tell me all your secrets. Turkey mince was on sale today and I thought "ooh, I could try making turkey and cranberry meatballs". But can I find cranberries without sugar and sunflower oil? No :( Which got me looking through all the dried fruit in the health store and it's pretty much the same across the board. I did find some turkish apricots with nothing added but gee whiz. I see people logging things like dried cherries on here and it makes me jealous :/

• 2 weeks later...

I've only found no sugar cranberries at farmers markets here, can sometimes find pure mango at health food shops...

I found frozen ones at my local IGA!

Dehydrator does sound like overkill though I've been branching out an awful lot lately so who knows, it may come to that!

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but I have had some lovely lovely grass fed meat from Otway Prime http://www.otwayprime.com.au I picked mine up at the Mulgrave Farmers Market, but they go other places too and you can order frozen if you'd rather have it that way. they make GRAIN FREE SAUSAGES! (not all are, but if you ask, they have em).

Archived