Sourcing food in Australia

glimmer

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Success! For those wanting a coconut yoghurt, easy recipe for Aussies (adapted from FeedMeRachel's):

1 x can of undrained Ayam Coconut Cream (270ml)

4 x Dairy Free Inner Health Plus capsules

In a glass jar, put coconut cream, empty 4 capsules into jar (throw out crispy capsule shells), stir madly, put in fridge and patiently wait 2-3 days.

Coconut yoghurt, no sweeteners, no additives, dairy free :D

Success! For those wanting a coconut yoghurt, easy recipe for Aussies (adapted from FeedMeRachel's):

1 x can of undrained Ayam Coconut Cream (270ml)

4 x Dairy Free Inner Health Plus capsules

In a glass jar, put coconut cream, empty 4 capsules into jar (throw out crispy capsule shells), stir madly, put in fridge and patiently wait 2-3 days.

Coconut yoghurt, no sweeteners, no additives, dairy free :D

Ugh amazing! I was so disappointed that Coyo had Xylitol in it. Although I eat it like a naughty treat so it's probably not a bad thing to go without for a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who travels through Melbourne near Flinders St station, there is an organics store there now called Habib Wholefoods. Bit expensive, some things are vegan/soy/sugary/agave but lots of organic things, including Mojo Komboucha, meat and dairy (if you can have it).

[Edit: pass on the non-chicken meatalthough it's organic, the red meat is ALL grain fed :( 

Things I buy from Habib's:

Isola Bio Coconut Cream in a tiny (expensive) 200ml mini-tetra pack 

http://www.bio4you.eu/en/toiduained/1070-coconut-cream-200g-isola-bio.html - beware the similar looking Isola Coconut Rice drink which comes in a larger size, it's not the same product but the box looks very similar.

This one thickens up USA-style in the fridge! (as it has guar gum in it)

Perfect for using as a fluffy "whipped cream" - but I actually buy it because it's a sealed portable coconut serve I can keep in my bag for coffee in cafes - 100ml is about a serve for me, so I use half and then put the leftover half in the fridge. It's hard to pour if cold (need to squeeze it out like toothpaste), so don't fridge it before you open it unless you want whipped cream.

Loving Earth products - very expensive, but good if you're caught short.

Mojo Komboucha

Organic veggies - watch the labels, not everything fresh is organic, the berries rarely are.

The odd gluten-free treat, but most of these have too many dates/sugars for me.

Avoid: Most of the fresh salads are gluten free, but almost all of them contain soy, tofu, sugars and either beans or pseudo-grains. There also are many complaints that the salads are v expensive by weight (they're all pretty heavy/wet salads, not light ones).

The stocking levels are strange in this store, don't wait to buy something, if it runs out, it may be gone for weeks. ]

• 3 weeks later...

I always go there when I am in the city... I must check out the kombucha, is it expensive?

What happens to the coconut cream after a few days with the probiotic? Does it get tangy? Change texture? Or!

I'm interested but I don't think I can tolerate much coconut cream and may not want a reason to eat more, then again maybe the probiotic makes it easier to digest....

Struggling right now and can't figure if its the cauli rice, cashews or too much protein..... Aarg.

I think it's the most expensive Mojo I've seen, but I haven't seen it many places and it's the only place I've seen in the CBD with it.

It's called Bio whatever but there's no probiotic in it I don't think, just the guar thickens up in the fridge. Doesn't get think outside the fridge unopened. It's not as heavy as Ayam Coconut Cream, much less fibre I think.

Can you swap for another nut?

Price check: Mojo is $5.95 a bottle at Habib's Wholefoods.

I think it is $4.50 at GoVita, from memory.

Anyone in Melbourne getting organic stuff delivered?

I'm trialling a few different suppliers as my local Coles has suddenly stopped stocking almost everything organic :(

Our local woolies is terrible, barely has any vegetables :( (bakery section is 4 times the size of the veggies!)

Our coles still has King Island beef, but my organic chicken has gone and the organic veggie section now seems to just be dates, carrots (sometimes) and white potatoes :( We seem to have retained organic eggs though.

On the plus side a bunch of places now deliver to me who didn't used to: Victoria Organic Delivery & Organic Angels. Both have lovely organic berries.

Was just at Harris Farm, they have fillets of wild boar and venison now! Apparently they have "minimal human handling"… wasn't really clear if it was actually wild or not, but might be interesting to try one day! Definitely a treat at $13 for one (200g) fillet!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Lesley, I haven't been able to find any compliant Coconut Aminos other than the Banaban aminos online from The Coconut Shop - everywhere I have looked there has only been the Niulife brand which is non-compliant (coconut sugar etc.) Really frustrating!

Though if you're anywhere near Granville, The Coconut Shop has a store there.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived