Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

I think we all want to believe in a grand, ceremonious moment where, with much pomp and circumstance, and in front of a cheering crowd we once and for all time 'break free' from the things that hold us in captivity. My friend Darin once told me that the process of breaking free isn't actually like that for most people. It is a gradual loosening of the shackles, a feeling of the chains slackening, and with each inch of slack chain we gain a little more freedom of movement which lets us wiggle more and create more slack until eventually, we can slip out of the things that hold us down and run free. Last night I was reminded that my chains are loosening, but they are still very much attached to me. Here's to 25 more days of loosening the chains!

I identify with this completely! I've been waiting for that "moment" but you're right, it's been a gradual process. Each day I wake up and realize that I made it through another day.. it's awesome!

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just stopped by Whole Foods. Picked up ground beef (grass fed, don'tcha know...), cauliflower, sweet potatoes, and ingredients for a butternut squash soup. Cook-a-thon, here I come. Five days in, I think this is the longest I've gone in about 25 years without chocolate (seriously).

How did your soup turn out?

Well, I am nearing the end of Day 5 and this is the first day I have felt really awful! I tossed and turned so much last night I woke up feeling as though I hadn't slept at all and had red, aching eyes this morning despite being in bed for at least 7 hours. I felt grumpy and grouchy and I have had a headache all day ... and I couldn't be happier! It means this is working and I don't care what my body and brain throws at me, I am in this for the long haul ... I am nothing if not stubborn as a mule :)

Did your sleep improve last night? :)

Something told me to start backing off of my insulin yesterday so I did...good thing because my fasting this morning was 85! 85!! Yeah, I am pumped. Though I am nauseated and jittery (going to take a while for my body to realize that 85 is normal), I am also ecstatic. Going to back down more tonight because I don't want to have to fight a low with glucose tabs as they are definitely not on my approved list of things to eat, dontcha know :)

The one thing that concerns me is how this is going to affect my relationship with my boyfriend, our absolute favorite thing in the world to do is to try new restaurants and new wines, and wine is out for now and the restaurants are looking like they are going to be more of a hassle than fun to go to now. Anyone have any suggestions?

Great job everyone so far, you all can do it, only 25 more days to go!!!

Kudos to you for doing this while working at a resort! I imagine that is challenging. At this point there's only 3 weeks to go, hopefully that won't affect your relationship too much? My FIL opened a bottle of wine last night and started to pour me a glass.. that may be my first food after the Whole30 is done. ;) I was supposed to go out last night for dinner but my MIL ended up cooking instead, so I planned ahead. Go to their website if they have one and see if they have a menu. You can also call them and ask questions (preferably during a non-busy period so they can be more patient/attentive) about what they cook ingredients in. Do they cook their steaks/chicken/fish with oil? Do they finish them with butter? I have seen some threads over at the Traveling/Dining Out forum that helped me.

I'm hoping the Whole 30 will do for me what quitting smoking did for me - show me what I feel like without those evil sugars. GOD... if anything it's made me read labels and realize it's in EVERYTHING! Which really helps to prove the point how addicting it is. Why does it need to be in salad dressing? Taco seasoning? Salsa?! It doesn't... but it probably made me think I liked it more at the time and buy it again.

Yes, that exactly. This June/July will be 10 years since I quit smoking. And yes, why does sugar, or wheat, or soy need to be in everything? It makes me feel like it is so much more urgent to get my husband and kids on board at this point. :(

Something told me to start backing off of my insulin yesterday so I did...good thing because my fasting this morning was 85! 85!! Yeah, I am pumped. Though I am nauseated and jittery (going to take a while for my body to realize that 85 is normal), I am also ecstatic. Going to back down more tonight because I don't want to have to fight a low with glucose tabs as they are definitely not on my approved list of things to eat, dontcha know :)

That is awesome! Congratulations!!

Day 6. Wow. I can't believe I'm here. It wasn't easy but it wasn't as hard as I thought either. While driving yesterday I saw a Cracker Barrel sign and I suddenly could feel the sensation of chicken and dumplings in my mouth. Then we passed the 7-11 on the way home and the sensation of eating a Snickers bar (my favorite) came to mind, crunch and all. So crazy.

This morning around 9, like clockwork, my stomach growled. I started making some bacon, and then my kids wanted some (anything to get some good fat and a bit of animal protein into them!), and before I knew it I was very focused on cooking for the rest of the week. I pulled out ISWF for the roasting chart, and got to chopping and roasting veggies. I did a butternut squash, broccoli, brussels sprouts, and beets (though I tasted one and it tasted AWFUL, I have to try a couple of pieces from other beets to figure out if it was the type of beet since I used a few kinds or what.. I was so bummed, they are usually so tasty). I threw a chicken in the crock pot on top of onion, carrot and celery with Penzey's Ruth Ann's Muskego Ave. seasoning. In the oven is Primal Palate's Braised Beef Shanks. I started my meal plan for the week which includes Tom Denham's Cauliflower and Salmon recipe, and NomNomPaleo's Asian Meatball recipe she just posted. I found that there's a store "locally" (21 miles away) that sells Red Boat fish sauce so I'll be heading there tomorrow. I loved fish sauce in my sausage stirfry for the umami factor and now I want to try it in my next batch of bone broth.

My MIL is so sweet. We were going through the recipes for what she's making for the Redskins game today, and she was asking me if I could eat it. There's molasses in this pork recipe, so I told her I couldn't have it, but to not do anything special to accommodate me and I would bring some of my own food. She called me this morning to confirm that if she removed the molasses, could I eat it? She's so sweet. She's also making chicken wings, but she's going to save a few for me before using the bottle of barbecue sauce.

Also, if the timeline is accurate for me, then I am totally on target. Today I got upset that DH didn't let me sleep longer. I forgot he had to go do some work stuff this morning (last minute, on call, ugh) but yes, I could use some sleep. I am drinking some of this lovely green tea to help me through.

How is everyone else doing? It's been getting gradually more and more quiet around here.

My MIL is so sweet. We were going through the recipes for what she's making for the Redskins game today, and she was asking me if I could eat it. There's molasses in this pork recipe, so I told her I couldn't have it, but to not do anything special to accommodate me and I would bring some of my own food. She called me this morning to confirm that if she removed the molasses, could I eat it? She's so sweet. She's also making chicken wings, but she's going to save a few for me before using the bottle of barbecue sauce.

I think that with this kind of support, you will be very successful. Such a difference when your family members are genuinely interested in what you are doing and are proactive in helping you do it. I think that is wonderful.

I think that with this kind of support, you will be very successful. Such a difference when your family members are genuinely interested in what you are doing and are proactive in helping you do it. I think that is wonderful.

I feel very lucky! My FIL, however, was trying to convince me that all red meat is evil and I should give up beef to help my digestion. You know, while I'm eliminating all these other things. Oh, and eating too much saturated fat is REALLY. BAD. *facepalm*

I am in the middle of day six but first day on the forum and feeling good! My husband and I are doing it together which is really helpful. I am having an easier time than him mostly because I tend to take better care of myself (yoga daily and dance). I gave up alcohol a while ago (was a moderate social drinker just ready to let it go and did) and I gave up synthetic sugars (i.e. diet coke) about a year ago although I'll have one occasionally as a treat. I can't remember the last time I ate a pancake or a muffin or a cupcake. My food addictions are to salt and what I have learned from this journey is that salty foods all have sugar in them as well. The hardest thing for me so far has been eating so much meat. I usually only eat meat a few times a week, definitely not daily. So I think this is going to be a challenge for me. I love eggs and I bought some almond butter to try and so far so good.

I guess I have also been 'cheating' by making a green smoothie with my eggs in the morning. I hate eating breakfast or more I hate preparing breakfast (i.e. cooking) and started this years ago and like a PP I don't feel too bad since I use about 1/3 a banana, 1/2 cup blueberries, 3-4 cups fresh kale or spinach and I am substituting some avocado and/or coconut milk for the greek yogurt I used to use and eating this with 1-2 eggs. It keeps me full until my second meal for sure. Plus, I do yoga a lot and need to not have a full stomach for my morning studio classes.

I am lucky as I teach school and do not start back until the third week of January so have lots of time to prepare foods.

Some things I have learned so far:

1. The meat thing is hard for me but I am adapting.

2. I am really a salt addict not a sugar addict.

3. I am REALLY glad I like coconuts. I just bought coconut oil (yum) at the food coop.

4. It is expensive to eat healthy in the winter. However, I am treating myself with a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables (instead of frozen) because this is a challenge (also as a treat I am giving myself extra studio yoga classes!). Luckily my town has a Trader Joes, Earth Fare (smaller Whole Foods like chain) and we have a great food coop with local meats, eggs, produce. Can't wait for my garden though :)

Thanks for the inspiration. I have enjoyed reading the posts here.

Oh, one thing to add. I just made my daughters and their friends peanut butter and Nutella graham crackers and I did not even lick the Nutella off my fingers. I'm a saint!

That's the thing I keep catching myself in too. Since I'm cooking things for my family and other people, I have to resist the urge to lick my fingers or the spoon or to taste things. Fortunately I am catching myself.

Welcome to the forum, helen. I'm on Day 6 also.

That's the thing I keep catching myself in too. Since I'm cooking things for my family and other people, I have to resist the urge to lick my fingers or the spoon or to taste things. Fortunately I am catching myself.

Welcome to the forum, helen. I'm on Day 6 also.

Thanks. Today we were leaving the Y and they bought gumballs and I always bite them in half for them (my girls are young) because I don't want them to choke and I had this moral crisis about it. Luckily they were soft enough that I could tear them in half.

Day 6: I am doing good. The shopping bill is a bit more than anticipated but that is ofset with the fact that we aren't eating out 2 or more times a week right now. The dreams have vanished, I hope for good. I noticed that riding my bike uphill seems to be easier but I could just be imagining things. I have had to be careful with all the 'bad' food that is in my apartment. My hubby isn't doing this with me, he is jsut starting to think about health stuff, so he has christmas cookies, chocolate, cheese its and such in the kitchen. To be honest the only thing I have been craving is cereal. Chex with honey on top, no milk. I used to grab a piece form his nightly bowl after dinner and its been on my mind.

Best thing about today: Sweet potato hash = heaven

Welcome to the forum helen! I wish we had more coops here, at least the kind that have a brick and mortar storefront to go to.

It was a little tricky at the in-laws yesterday. I had a huge plate of salad with dressing that I made (again with lemon, garlic and olive oil) and my MIL made several chicken wings without the barbecue sauce. I had some leftover macadamia nuts/apple chips/sunflower seeds from our lecture trip on Saturday and I ended up eating some of that, too. There just wasn't enough food! My stomach is growling now. I have sausage, scrambled eggs and avocado calling my name. Maybe I'll toss some roasted butternut squash onto my plate. :)

Hi jtota! I was almost a vegan a year ago, until reading "the Paleo Solution" at which time I was elated to have a reason to eat steak. Smelling BBQs while on walks was a killer for me. I wanted to say that it really does help to refer to your meals and #1, #2 and #3, and ditch the word "breakfast." I love fried eggs with runny yolks, but I'm going very easy on them this time around, because for the past year I also developed acne and rashes on my face. Now I never had skin issues prior to paleo, and I couldn't figure out what was doing it. I'm suspecting eggs or nuts or both. So, for most of my Meal#1s I am having Meal#3 left overs. I really like having 1 cup portions that I can grab from the freezer the day before and heat up in the morning and throw in a bunch of veggies on top. It's really great to make it a bit soupy and flavorful by adding bone broth to the mix. It feels like a totally solid and satisfying meal. Try it!

Oh, and I started buying plain ground pork from a local farmer. Now I make my own sausage patties (no casing, no sugar, just herbs, S&P, and cayenne), based on a recipe from the cookbook "Paleo Comfort Foods.".We love them that way, and I don't really miss bacon.

If I can do this YOU can do this! :) Cheers!

Diana

Diana, Good to hear from you. I decided to make the leap after reading It Starts With Food and seeing a picture of myself in which I just looked tired and sick. Feeling much better already. I have figured out quickly to make my own sausage and use side pork for bacon. I cannot tell you how much easier it is to keep from snacking when I eat eggs and bacon and NOT a big bowl of oatmeal fro breakfast. I a very excited to see what happens over the next 30 days. :) I am adding a week because of a few screw ups the first week. We got this!!!

I discovered that butternut squash that is peeled and cubed before putting into the oven to roast comes out SO MUCH tastier than just cutting it in half and having to scoop it. :)

You can also cube it and cook in microwave if your in a hurry, at least 7 minutes and put some water in bowl and cover.

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing any digestive issues, specifically getting a bit "backed up?" I don't mean to get into gross territory, but being that we are all on the same timeline, I was curious if anyone else has been experiencing this?

Looking forward to following and contributing to this thread over the next 27 days!

Travis,

Are you eating plenty of fat? The first time I tried to do this I had the same issue and was very uncomfortable so I quit. Uped the fat intake this time and things are quite the opposite this time around and very regular ;) . Hang in there, it will get better!!

Hi all, I started 1/1 with y'all.

The first few days were admittedly hard, but I did have a few times where I felt energized and my head was so clear! Unfortunately, I knew this past weekend would be tough to stick to the plan. Saturday I was with my parents at a large event and though I have a lot of self-control personally, I am very weak when it comes to others opinions of me. Especially family. So I ate more normally for lunch and dinner Saturday (sandwich, cookie, burger/fries). Sunday morning I woke up very sick to my stomach and all of that bad food came up. Once I was free of it I felt much better. I also ate some chicken/rice soup in a social situation Sunday...everyhting was gluten-free but there was the rice. I did great at the brownie/ice cream party last evening...had a mug of tea :)

I knew this weekend would be a challenge so I was not going to be too upset, and really planned to begin for 30 days starting today the 7th. What I did not expect was that it would literally make me sick to slip like that. Let that be encouragement to you faithful ones to keep going! I know it is for me.

I'm keeping two things in mind:

1) How GREAT I felt in the good times the first 4 days - like I never knew I had been walking around in a fog until it lifted!

2) How AWFUL I felt when I ate "normally" for a day

So this is hello and goodbye to this thread...I will try to find one for starting today! Good luck to you all.

Katy

Travis,

Are you eating plenty of fat? The first time I tried to do this I had the same issue and was very uncomfortable so I quit. Uped the fat intake this time and things are quite the opposite this time around and very regular ;) . Hang in there, it will get better!!

Yes, I am eating plenty of fat (I believe) and things have definitely started to even out! So that's progress I suppose. Thanks for the recommendation!

My MIL is so sweet.

ROFL! Those are words you don't hear very often.

I guess I have also been 'cheating' by making a green smoothie with my eggs in the morning. I hate eating breakfast or more I hate preparing breakfast (i.e. cooking) and started this years ago and like a PP I don't feel too bad since I use about 1/3 a banana, 1/2 cup blueberries, 3-4 cups fresh kale or spinach and I am substituting some avocado and/or coconut milk for the greek yogurt I used to use and eating this with 1-2 eggs. It keeps me full until my second meal for sure. Plus, I do yoga a lot and need to not have a full stomach for my morning studio classes.

4. It is expensive to eat healthy in the winter. ...

With you on both points. Today, instead my usual smoothie (which is nearly identical to what you use regarding amounts of fruit, greens, coconut milk, but also with a spoon of almond nut butter), I had 2 egg/veggie muffins, 2 boiled eggs, and 1/3 banana. Not nearly as filling as my smoothies. Should've had more fat.

As far as expensive (!!!!!) we ran through about $200 of groceries during the first 7 days. Just went out this weekend and bought about $300 more, so we don't run out. And that's before I sign up with a CSA that will cost a lot upfront. But we have a lot of stuff now that should last a while (over 60oz coconut oil, lots of diced tomatoes, green chillis, coconut aminos, fish sauce, seasonings, etc). I REALLY need this grocery bill to come down significantly.

Archived