Balsamic Vinegar and Mustard??

strongmom

Hi All,

I am on day 3 of my Whole 30 and trying to figure out some great dinner recipes. I have found a Paleo Balsamic chicken recipe which looks great but I am not certain that this is Whole 30 approved. How much organic Balsamic vinegar is OK to use in cooking or on a salad?

Also, the recipe calls for 2 TB of spicy mustard. I found a mustard at Whole Foods that has 5 ingredients and looks Whole 30 compliant.

So, is it ok to use these two products when cooking during a Whole 30??

THANK YOU so much for your advice!

Without you listing the ingredients lists it's hard to tell.

Balsamic may contain sulphites and other creepies...usually the more expensive the bottle the more likely it is to be compliant.

Mustards might contain weird preservatives or sugar but like I said without you listing the ingredients, I can't say.

My understanding is that both are approved as long as there is no added sugar, but be careful with the balsamic vinegar - many contain sulfites which are not OK on a Whole30. Most mustards I have found don't have any preservatives or added sugar of any kind, but read your labels to be sure. If you want, post the ingredients lists of both to get a more definite answer.

The Balsamic has: wine vinegar, concentrated grape must, and cooked grape must (what is must?) My one concern is that there is 5g of sugars in the nutrition facts... I had a small splash of this on my salad yesterday and hoping that is OK. Perhaps I need to look for a brand with less grams of sugar?

The mustard has: vinegar, water, mustard seed, salt, citric acid, tumeric, spices, and tartaric acid...

THANK YOU!

Sulphites are fine if they are naturally occurring, so it's good! The cheaper ones add sulphites in afterwards. Of course if you are sensitive to sulphites you might want to avoid it but otherwise if they are naturally occurring you're fine.

The Balsamic has: wine vinegar, concentrated grape must, and cooked grape must (what is must?) My one concern is that there is 5g of sugars in the nutrition facts... I had a small splash of this on my salad yesterday and hoping that is OK. Perhaps I need to look for a brand with less grams of sugar?

The mustard has: vinegar, water, mustard seed, salt, citric acid, tumeric, spices, and tartaric acid...

THANK YOU!

Everything seems fine on the but I am unsure on tartaric acid. My balsamic's ingredients are just organic balsamic vinegar and it has 1g of sugar. The balsamic is totally your call.

Proud of everyone for reading labels!!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this thread! I was wondering about sulphites because I've found them in both my red wine vinegars and my grainy and dijon mustards. I was a bit confused because vinegar is Whole 30 okay, but then the sulphites were listed on the ones I currently own. Just to clarify, if one of the Whole 30 fine print foods is listed but contains something that's off limits (e.g. sulphines, soy...etc), then it's not approved, right?

So I would think based on this that:

grainy mustard - vinegar, mustard seeds, water, salt, white wine (contains sulphites), sugar, flavour, lactic acid. Would be out because of the last three ingredients (but it sounded so promising until I read to the end of the label!:P). Because the sulphites were bracketed, it made me think maybe they were naturally occurring as wine does naturally contain some amount of sulphites.

Dijon - out as well I would think for the last two ingredients: water, mustard seeds, vinegar, salt, citric acid, sulphites.

red wine vinegar - ingredients: water, red wine, contains sulfites... no okay either?

Yes those are all out. The sulphites in brackets probably were naturally occurring but wine and sugar are out. The other sulphites are not naturally occurring. I seem to have the best luck with organic balsamic. Mine has only grapes and grape must. My mustard is Westbrae naturals. Fairly inexpensive, delicious and no nasties in it.

So.... I understand that balsamic vinegar with naturally occurring sulfites is ok! I start my Whole30 on Monday and I looked at the two brands in my pantry! The ingredients on the first are: wine vinegar, grape must concentrate, cooked grape must, and Antioxidant (sulfur dioxide). Am guessing this one is a no, correct?! And the 2nd brand's ingredient is just: balsamic vinegar. This one is ok, correct?! Both have 2 grams of sugar a serving though? Help me out here! Thanks!

Hi Maya, it gets confusing doesn't it :) Wine vinegar is ok but sulfur dioxide is out, it's a nasty. There's a thread about it here

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/3047-sulphur-dioxide/page__p__25834__hl__+sulfur%20+dioxide__fromsearch__1#entry25834

I was the one who asked the original question and Tom Denham gave a really detailed answer which is why i remembered it :) Balsamic vinegar on its own without added nasties is fine. don't worry about the grams of sugar per serving. Lots of foods contain natural sugars, its added ones we're trying to avoid. Besides I doubt you'd end up drinking vinegar by the gallon :) so it's not likely to have an impact in the amoun you'll use.

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

I'm confused about the balsamic. Mine just says "contains sulphites" in the ingredient list, but doesn't specify an ingredient vs. Naturally occurring. Is it ok or not????

This should be okay. If they add sulfites, they list it in the ingredient list. If, separate from the ingredient list, they say Contains Sulfites, it should be okay. 

Archived