Sourcing Good Food in U.K and/or Ireland

Derval

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm from the UK. I get a veg box from Abel and Cole each week, all organic, most of which is grown in the UK, and is seasonal, so you won't get strawberries in winter. Digging the root veg, kale, and broccoli at the moment! I also get organic eggs from them, and you can order organic meats, game and poultry. I understand Riverford do a similar deal, my mum gets her box from them, they just don't operate in my area.

Out of This World is a co-operative health food store, operating in Leeds and Nottingham. They will order things in for you if you ask - they are getting me some coconut aminos, and they order me Isabels grain free cassava bread mix - not Whole30 of course, but I'm grain free even outside of it and these are a rare indulgence I can enjoy without upsetting my stomach. I imagine other local health food stores may do the same, it does save on the delivery charges online.

I love Abel and Cole!

I'm a big fan of bacon and chorizo and have found nitrate/sugar/chemical free bacon at Whole Foods. I've found nitrate/sugar/chemical free Spanish chorizo at LIDL, of all places, but on occasion can find good stuff (more expensive) at Waitrose. I'm in London --lots of shopping options here-- but for me the biggest issue is cost. Everything here is *so* expensive!!

It's the ring kind. I've only found it in stock twice --once when they had a random shipment of Spanish-themed foods in, and again before Christmas. I triple checked the ingredients this morning and it's pork, garlic, and seasoning (smoked paprika, salt). Gluten/grain free, and in a ''natural casing''. I go to LIDL pretty often so will definitely be stockpiling the chorizo if I ever find it again.

It's the ring kind. I've only found it in stock twice --once when they had a random shipment of Spanish-themed foods in, and again before Christmas. I triple checked the ingredients this morning and it's pork, garlic, and seasoning (smoked paprika, salt). Gluten/grain free, and in a ''natural casing''. I go to LIDL pretty often so will definitely be stockpiling the chorizo if I ever find it again.

Ah shame it's not part of their regular stock, I know the special promo you mean though.

• 2 months later...

bump for loubee

Hi there

Has anyone found a source in the UK for compliant bacon,smoked salmon or nut butter?

Also I have been buying organic coconut milk from Waitrose but it has guar gum added - is this compliant? If not a source of that too please!

Thank you

Complaint bacon is easier to find uk ireland than in the states - you just need to check the packs for no-sugar , don't owrry about nitrites, you won't find any without and it's sulphites that are the big no-no

I've also had no trouble finding smoked salmon, again just read the label

meridian brand nut butter is compliant - get in in health food shops

guar gum is compliant.

Thank you. I do most of my shopping online and have been surprised by the labels of my usual buys - my Duchy Organic bacon has sugar in it, ditto my usual smoked salmon. It's such a pita to look through all the ingredients online of each product - I think I will have to devote some time to going to the store and reading some labels.

I work for John Lewis so get staff discount at Waitrose :) so will have to start there.

Thanks again

Have just found a stack of bacon and salmon with no sugar - oops sorry for the pointless question. Clearly the sugar dragon in me forces me to buy the only sugar added bacon in the place! I knew I had it bad but this could be a scary 30 days

I was in Tesco the other day and saw some coconut cream in a small UHT carton, with coconut as the only ingredient. I think the carton said that you just needed to add water to use it as cocount milk. Unfortunately, I was in a rush and don't even remember what brand it was. (But think it was one of the more common Asian foods brands)

Someone mentioned in another post that one of the Tesco own brand fish sauces is compliant.

And I'd love to find some compliant sausages, if anyone has a recommendation?

Being a detective and trying some smaller shops or ethnic grocers has really proved useful for me. I recently found fish sauce (for Thai cooking) that is compliant at some tiny Asian shop in Brighton. Less than £2 and perfect! And, I can get compliant coconut milk for about £.89/can at one of the Indian stores in my neighborhood. It took some scouting but worth the effort when I see how much Waitrose charges for the same thing.

Mine was seperated which is fine, but I couldn't get it to emulsify no mater what methos I tried - it was always grainy.

I also didn't liek the flavour - a bit fruity? rather than rich. I just use it (the solid part) in curries now, but I wouldn't re-order.

This might be a bit of an odd question, but where can I buy l kale that isn't pre-cut into little strips?

I have never got mine like that . I have to wash it & remove stems.

Tescos sell it un-prepped.

FOUND - unrefined red palm oil in Morrisons for £1.75

Disclaimer - I haven't tried it yet, and it's probably steeped in the blood of baby orang-utans. There were two brands available. I'll let you know if I work out what to try with it!

Does anyone know where to source fire roasted tomatoes in the UK? I have a few recipes I'd really like to try that use them.

Also my Groovy coconut oil seems to make everything taste of coconut? Is this normal?

Archived