Sourcing Good Food in U.K and/or Ireland

Derval

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never managed to find spaghetti squash. I know some people have tried to grow it, but whether they managed it successfully or not I don't know.

Coconut milk: I use sachets I get from my big Tesco called "Thai Taste" (don't have one in the house to look at at the mo to give you the ingredients list) but I use those because I don't use that much coconut milk and they are the right size for a curry so I don't waste any. I do also have some cans of Blue Dragon coconut milk in (Tescos occasionally do special offers on them): The blue dragon ones have coconut, water, E466, E471 and E330 (which are stabilizer, emulsifier and antioxidant). I remember reading ages ago that it was compliant.

Hope that helps ... good luck and welcome to the W30 club. I have just started my 5th. :)

I've been on the look out today for compliant stuff!

Barts and Blue Dragon Creamed Coconut are both 100% pure coconut - you can cut what you need off the block (store rest in fridge once opened) & add water to make cream or milk. All the milk I've seen has sulphites except 'Waitrose organic' - their non-organic has sulphites. Natco brand has E223 which is sulphites.

Waitrose have Thai Taste red & green curry pastes for half price - one sachet was 74p & enough for 10-12 servings. I stocked up!! Offer only started today so should be on for a while.

Aldi have smoked bacon & smoked salmon without sugar - tho their Specially Selected smoked salmon has demarara sugar it in. 

I've had a spaghetti squash from Abel & Cole and my neighbour also gave me a couple of plants so grew my own last summer - they are summer squash tho so not sure if you'll get any now until next summer/autumn.

I'm just getting together the ingredients for tonight's Kerala prawn curry, and now have in front of me a 200ml sachet of the Thai Taste coconut milk. Ingredients are Coconut, water and guar gum (which is definitely compliant). The Thai Taste red and green thai curry pastes are also on offer in Tesco and have also just stocked up on them. They are delicious. Once I open a sachet, I wrap 1 tbsp. portions of the leftovers in clingfilm and throw them in the freezer so they last longer.

Can't help on the corned beef front, sorry! Can't stand the stuff. :)

Hi all, glad it found this thread although even more confused then before ;-)

On day 12 at the moment and only eating things as they appear in nature.

I can't seem to find chopped tomatoes without sugar in them, I just bought coconut cream and milk for the first time but reading all of the above, I don't think I bought the right ones.

Everything that's not fruit and veg is still very confusing!

Hi Nell

Hmm. Never had an issue with tinned tomatoes -- I am currently buying Tesco value tinned toms and they contain tomatoes, salt and citric acid. Can't help you on the mustard I'm afraid as we don't eat that either ... we mostly stick to fruit and veg and meat (so for example I make big batches of Jamie Oliver's curry pastes from scratch and then freeze them ...

Hang in there! It gets easier once you work out what you like to eat and where to find it.

x

It's more for making the mayo that I use the mustard and just noticed that mine has sulphites in it.

Will check the tomatoes out again. The sainsbury ones I had said there was a sugar content but in hindsight I think I never looked at the ingredients, just the calorie overview.

Hang in there. It gets easier. I'm on Day 17 of W30#5 or 6 (I've lost count) and yesterday I had a big strop because I couldn't have wine / chocolate / crisps and I NEEDED them. Wrapped myself up in a big blanket, made a mug of hot water (!) and watched rubbish TV til it had passed. This morning I woke up feeling all smug. Take it easy if you can; rest, keep warm and be kind to yourself. If spaced-out-and-teary is food related, you will feel better soon. You just need to wait it out. Stay strong, and be as easy on yourself as possible in the meantime. x 

I'm not really craving anything specific. I felt quite hungry last night going bed, maybe that's not helped.

Will make a lovely (sugar free) fruit tea with a slice of lemon, so far that's helped with hunger.

Thanks for the support, "nice" to know we're all going through these.

You shouldn't be hungry! Eat more if you are (especially fat). And although they say don't snack, if you find yourself genuinely hungry between meals you SHOULD snack, but still to template (some fat, some protein, veggies -- so for me, piece of chicken, some olives and some cucumber) and then make sure you eat more (especially fat) at mealtimes. One of the things I love about W30 and brings me back again and again is that I am not hungry so although I sometimes feel deprived (what, no crisps? etc) I'm not actually hungry. And being able to eat mayonnaise and avocados and olives (and smoked salmon when I can afford it / find some with no sugar) gives me a sense of luxury and satiation.

I had cooked mince with carrots and broccoli last night, which I thought was quit good. And I had about 3-4 scoops.

Maybe it wasn't enough.

And for breakfast I had 4-5 wedges of sweet potato, half an avocado, a hard boiled egg and some sugar nap peas with some mayo.

Does that sound correct/enough?

Sorry for picking your brain and hacking this thread!

If you are feeling hungry, then it's not enough.

One of the points of this exercise is to start listening to your body, and if it is telling you it is hungry, then you aren't eating enough. Next time, eat more! I love the fact that I can go for hours on end without thinking about food AT ALL -- but clearly I can't do that if I haven't eaten enough.

On a more practical level, though, 3-4 scoops of your cooked mince -- depends on how big the scoops were and what the proportion of mince / veg was (doesn't sound like enough of either to me). And what did you have as fat? A tiny amount of oil to cook with doesn't count as a portion of fat.

One egg for breakfast is definitely not enough; I have two but most of the other folks on this forum regularly have three. (Two eggs is probably not enough fro me either, but I can't bring myself to have more -- I sometimes have bacon as well if I'm extra hungry.) It also looks like you aren't eating enough veg -- so just not eating enough all round, really (!)

Have you experimented with roasting veggies? It's a really good way to up your food and fat intake, and they are delicious and palatable even in the morning and store well in the fridge for a few days. (Can recommend roasted tomatoes; roasted onions; and roasted butternut squash to start with -- first time I did this I also lived on roasted cauliflower.)

If you are used to "dieting" then it is really hard to increase the quantities of food on your first W30 because you can't quite believe the quantity of food you eat -- but trust me, an exercise worth doing. I often reflect that when I do a W30 I truly feel "well fed" in every sense of the word.

First time I did this it took me ages to realise how much fat I need -- which is WAY more than I have ever eaten in my life before (that is, outside of crisps and chocolate consumption) and it made me anxious. Having experimented with quantities of protein and fat and veggies and worked out how I feel, I am much more comfortable now with just eating more fat. It's the difference, for me, between feeling hungry and not hungry. I eat more than the template suggests you need, which I have been assured is OK (the template is a "minimum" of fat) and that works for me. Believing it and not panicking that your thighs are going to double in size over night is the hard part.

BUT it's your body and you need to work out what works for you. It's ridiculously scary, really, to let yourself just listen to your body to begin with because it is so hard to believe what it is telling you. (What? More? Did you see the size of my plate? etc. etc.)

Good luck and let us know how you get on. (BTW -- is there are thread for UK W30-ers? I haven't looked for a while, but it might be more appropriate to move the conversation there if there is one! -- anyone know?)

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for this insight!

As far as I've seen, there doesn't appear to be a UK thread, this was the only general one I could find. I'll start one somewhere and post a link here.

Did anyone ever start that generic UK thread?  :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Aldi has dried cranberries that are sweetened with pineapple juice.

Tesco sells a compliant beef stock concentrate (Masterchef brand), unfortunately the chicken stock had sugar.

If you've a sugar dragon you're trying to exorcise I'd walk away from the dried cranberries..... Honestly!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been playing around with Paleo for a while on and off - mostly off - and but am starting another Whole30 in the next few days. I'm still struggling to find compliant Beef Broth  - and also coconut aminos... has anyone found them in any UK supermarkets or is it only online?

Archived