Compliant Chicken Broth

Where can I find complaint chicken broth? I was all set to make a soup from Everyday Paleo when I read the ingredients on my Pacific Natural Foods Organic Free Range Chicken Broth and CANE SUGAR is an ingredient! I plan on making my own stock after roasting chickens this weekend. However, I wanted the soup for lunch today:(

• Moderators

There are very few sugar free chicken broths on the market. One I found at Whole Foods was the Imagine brand, but only the Organic Free Range Chicken. Other varieties included cane sugar. I found one other sugar free brand once upon a time, but I've forgotten the name.

I use Pacific Natural Foods Organic Free Range Chicken Broth...I get it off of amazon subscribe and save for the extra discount and free shipping

http://www.amazon.co...2_product_title

That's what I have and there's cane sugar in it:( I'm going to head out and see if I can find Imagine at the two stores we have in town!

I have the Pacific Natural Foods organic one too, just bought it yesterday, in fact. Was pretty annoyed to get home and see that it has cane sugar. It never occurred to me to look. Why on earth would chicken broth need sugar? However, no sugars show up in the nutritional content.

ACK!!! I used organic chicken broth the other day and thought I was being compliant. After reading this thread, I double checked the label and there is CANE SUGAR!!! ACCKK!! I am on Day 4 of W30. Do I have to start over?

I used about 1/2 cup to deglaze the pan where I was sauteing some chicken.

Oh, this is so disappointing.

ACK!!! I used organic chicken broth the other day and thought I was being compliant. After reading this thread, I double checked the label and there is CANE SUGAR!!! ACCKK!! I am on Day 4 of W30. Do I have to start over?

I used about 1/2 cup to deglaze the pan where I was sauteing some chicken.

Oh, this is so disappointing.

I may be out voted on this but I don't think you need to start over on this one. :0) However, let it be a lesson that you need to read labels and keep reading labels.

• 2 years later...

If there are no non-compliant ingredients listed in the ingredients then you are good to go.

Food manufacturers are obligated to include this statement when foods containing these ingedients are produced in the same plant in order to notify people suffering from these allergies who can be effected by cross-contamination.

The Pacific Organic free range chicken broth (low sodium) does not have sugar.  (They didn't have the full sodium one, so not sure about that version.)  I bought the non-organic free range, which did have sugar and took it back for this one.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2013 at 10:55 AM, Michele West said:

Where can I find complaint chicken broth? I was all set to make a soup from Everyday Paleo when I read the ingredients on my Pacific Natural Foods Organic Free Range Chicken Broth and CANE SUGAR is an ingredient! I plan on making my own stock after roasting chickens this weekend. However, I wanted the soup for lunch today:(

Its pricey but check out Barebones Broth.... 

Watch out for yeast extract. I find that in the strangest places, including chicken broth.

On 9/13/2012 at 6:36 AM, Melissa Hartwig said:

This is a tricky one. While yeast does contain glutamate, so do plenty of other foods with protein, like meat. The glutamate isn't the issue - it's when these proteins are hydrolyzed at high temperature, creating a different form of glutamate (a less healthy form).

I've read both sides, and I'm not convinced that yeast extract contains the unhealthy form of MSG - which is fundamentally, chemically different from glutamic acid. But I'm also not convinced that people who are very sensitive to MSG wouldn't have a reaction when exposed to this particular form.

We say nutritional yeast is okay for the Whole30, and I doubt that yeast extract is going to present a problem for 99.99% of folks doing the program. But for now, as Tom said, we'll encourage you to look for foods and products without these added ingredients, or better yet - just make your own chicken broth. However, I would see no need to start over because you ate some yeast extract in your soup.

Best,

Melissa

Archived