Giving up wine for W30

Ruthie

Liz - I hear ya! I was beginning to think that I had a problem until I read this thread. Not having a glass of wine at night is the hardest part of my Whole 30 (I'm only on Day 5)....but finally last night it got better!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is so funny I found this thread--just 15 minutes ago, I had a WINE taste in my mouth!!! Like I had just taken a sip!!! I finished off some Rioja on Sunday before my W30 started yesterday. Thank God there's no more red in the house!

I finished my 2nd W30 on December 27 and had no problem drinking wine or diet coke/coke zero again. :mellow:

Just dropping in to say that I can totally relate to all of these posts! For me, the sense of pride I feel each night when I go to bed is what keeps me going. I am on day 7. I think the warmth and the ritual are what I miss, and I have found chamomile and sleepytime tea to be my saviors. So glad I'm not alone!

What a great idea! I have some sleepytime tea in my cupboard that has been there for years. I am going to have to get it out.

Just dropping in to say that I can totally relate to all of these posts! For me, the sense of pride I feel each night when I go to bed is what keeps me going. I am on day 7. I think the warmth and the ritual are what I miss, and I have found chamomile and sleepytime tea to be my saviors. So glad I'm not alone!

LOL! I just found this thread, after posting about wine on my log. I love red wine and I'm in the habit of having a glass or two almost every night. My first two Whole30s, it was the thing I missed most. This time I'm doing a Whole100, it is Day 8, and I just realized tonight that I haven't even thought about wine since I started. Maybe my Wine Dragon is on vacation, visiting one of you? If so, you are welcome to him. I'm in no hurry to have him back. My Whole100 will be a lot easier without him hanging around.

Mmm wine how I miss you...but it is ok we will be together again in Feb : ). This is how I am getting through Jan with no wine..

My hubby is not being to supportive and is sitting on the couch with a glass...time to go do something else.

I Love Wine!! toooo!!! :wub: I thought I'd have a much harder time, than I am. I would have a glass or two each night while making dinner, now I have soda water with lemon and lime. :wacko:

My husband is going along with it for now, but his birthday is coming up this weekend and I'm frightened. He's been sick since we started and now he's getting his wind back. The 12th will be the true test for me.

I am so glad you posted this yesterday about the sleeptime tea. I had forgotten I even had any in the cupboard until your post.

I had a terrible time getting to sleep last night. In the past, when that happened, I would have some wine and listen to my favourite music. Instead, after reading your post, I got up and had two mugs of sleeptime tea and went back to bed.

I am so glad you posted this yesterday about the sleeptime tea. I had forgotten I even had any in the cupboard until your post.

I had a terrible time getting to sleep last night. In the past, when that happened, I would have some wine and listen to my favourite music. Instead, after reading your post, I got up and had two mugs of sleeptime tea and went back to bed.

I am so glad this helped! When I make it, just the smell instantly relaxes me. They make a Sleepytime Extra too that is incredible.

Yay Holly! I'm on Day 7 today. I'm lucky because my husband doesn't drink (never has) and so I don't have to watch him sipping. I did take all of the wine and champagne I had to a pal's house so I wouldn't be tempted.

Curious - what do you like about the SodaStream vs just buying sparkling water? I'm considering getting one.

Yay Holly! I'm on Day 7 today. I'm lucky because my husband doesn't drink (never has) and so I don't have to watch him sipping. I did take all of the wine and champagne I had to a pal's house so I wouldn't be tempted.

Curious - what do you like about the SodaStream vs just buying sparkling water? I'm considering getting one.

I didn't like wasting all the plastic bottles (even though we recycled them). You can control the amount of carbonation which is nice. And we drink a ton of seltzer/ I also drink vodka and club so it's used there as well. Our well water is great so why not carbonate :) I have never worked out if it's actually cheaper (i.e. how many liters we get out of one carbon catridge) but the cartridges last us ~ 3 months and are refillable. I still buy Pellegrino as a treat though, its different :)

I will probably be out this weekend with friends; just waiting for everyone to think I'm pregnant cause I rarely pass up a cocktail!

Thanks for the Kombucha idea. I got some today at Whole Foods. I liked it, but not necessarily the flavor I chose (Gingerade). But I'll definitely be trying the other flavors.

For a mocktail when at a restaurant.....would sparkling water with just a splash of cranberry and a slice of lime be compliant? Or does the cranberry juice kill it?

Thanks for the Kombucha idea. I got some today at Whole Foods. I liked it, but not necessarily the flavor I chose (Gingerade). But I'll definitely be trying the other flavors.

For a mocktail when at a restaurant.....would sparkling water with just a splash of cranberry and a slice of lime be compliant? Or does the cranberry juice kill it?

I would be leary about that. I'm still new to this so I wouldn't be able to comment on the compliance of an all natural, no-added cran juice - but most restaurants don't actually use the juice - they use a cranberry cocktail which is LOADED with sugars. I think a better option would be for just the lime :)

On a side note - I'm SOOOO glad I found this thread! I was scared to jump into my 30 because of the red wine dragon, but aside from dreaming about wine occasionally (I'm on Day 9), I've been strong and really haven't even had the urge to indulge in my normal glass or two :D

Is anyone else negotiating with themselves as the weekend gets closer? I really haven't had too many issues with my first five days. I kind of feel like eating this way is fine. But not having my wine sucks! I can get through the week without having any. I have done that for a long period of time in the past. Getting through the week before without having any was doable, not easy but doable. The idea of not being able to look foward to it on the weekend, or for an entire 30 days, is making getting through the week now very difficult.

I have tried to set myself up for success by doing a few things suggested but I am wrestling with it today. It is Friday and I want my glass of wine. I am playing these games in my head, doing the "well, I can keep doing this forever if I can have some wine on Friday and Saturday night".

Anyone else struggling, particularly with the weekend here?

I am happy to have found this thread. That was my biggest concern starting the Whole30, how can I NOT have wine!! I would have wine pretty much every evening. Thankfully though it hasn't been as hard as I had thought it would be. I did really want some one night this week when the kids were just crazy, I was trying to get dinner going, homework, etc. But I made it through. I agree with it being a bit more difficult on weekends. I am on day 10 so this will be my second weekend wineless. Last weekend went well so I have high hopes for this one as well. I have starting drinking tea every night, either Chai or Bengal Spice, YUM!!! It really helps. And like someone else said, I'm always proud of myself when I got to bed not having drank any wine all evening :) I have never had Kombucha, I don't even know what that is so I'm going to look into it.

Ok everyone! Let's get through the weekend!!! It is going to be tough - WE CAN DO IT!

I'm telling myself a glass of wine will NOT be worth starting over. This has been too much work. This quote from Whole9 is now on my refridgerator:

"It is not hard. Don't you dare tell us this is hard. Quitting heroin is hard. Beating cancer is hard. Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard. You won't get any coddling, and you won't get any sympathy for your “strugglesâ€. YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE not to complete the program as written. It's only thirty days, and it's for the most important health cause on earth – the only physical body you will ever have in this lifetime."

LET'S KICK BUTT THIS WEEKEND and be proud!

Ok everyone! Let's get through the weekend!!! It is going to be tough - WE CAN DO IT!

I'm telling myself a glass of wine will NOT be worth starting over. This has been too much work. This quote from Whole9 is now on my refridgerator:

"It is not hard. Don't you dare tell us this is hard. Quitting heroin is hard. Beating cancer is hard. Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard. You won't get any coddling, and you won't get any sympathy for your “strugglesâ€. YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE not to complete the program as written. It's only thirty days, and it's for the most important health cause on earth – the only physical body you will ever have in this lifetime."

LET'S KICK BUTT THIS WEEKEND and be proud!

WHAT SHE SAID!! :)

Is anyone else negotiating with themselves as the weekend gets closer? I really haven't had too many issues with my first five days. I kind of feel like eating this way is fine. But not having my wine sucks! I can get through the week without having any. I have done that for a long period of time in the past. Getting through the week before without having any was doable, not easy but doable. The idea of not being able to look foward to it on the weekend, or for an entire 30 days, is making getting through the week now very difficult.

I have tried to set myself up for success by doing a few things suggested but I am wrestling with it today. It is Friday and I want my glass of wine. I am playing these games in my head, doing the "well, I can keep doing this forever if I can have some wine on Friday and Saturday night".

Anyone else struggling, particularly with the weekend here?

Yes!! Not as excited about the weekend and challenging myself, as I was last weekend. Thoughts of two more after that are killing me :(

I have a tough time with the weekends too. I SOOO wanted to pick up a bottle of wine tonight. But I remember during my first W30 last summer, I was soo productive on the weekends. I woke early with a very clear head and tons of energy, and got things done that had been on my to do list for much too long. The sort if things that always seem to get pushed to the bottom of the list -- I did them. Also, I find my willpower to make good food choices is much stronger if I leave the wine alone. The weekend is hard enough for me to navigate, I don't need anything to make it even slightly harder.

We CAN DO THIS. The wine will be there at the end of the 30 days, but we will have developed a new and healthier relationship with it.

Here's to the weekend!

How did the weekend go, ladies? Not much activity around here since late Friday night...

I have had no problem, which is unusual considering I craved wine during my first 2 Whole30s. Maybe the fact that I'm doing a Whole100 this time is keeping me in check. It's far too early to be fighting cravings. I may feel differently around Day 87.

I've gotten in the habit of doing food prep after dinner. Right at the time I'd normally just sit and sip wine. Now I roast veggies, make sauces, try new recipes, etc. I'm sure it helps. If I was just sitting in front of the TV I'm sure I'd be thinking about it more.

Archived