Giving up wine for W30

Ruthie

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night I had my first drink of alcohol since starting and finishing my first whole 30. So I had been alcohol free for 32 days.

I decided to follow the "savor it" advice that ISWF gives for anything not w30 compliant. I made myself a single gin martini, my favorite cocktail. I made it with a classic recipe which unlike most bars will make is not just cold gin. It had 4 different kinds of bitters: orange, celery, cardamom, and lavender. It's a very flavorful drink.

I really kicked back and let it roll around my tongue and nose. I thought about every sip. I took my time.

All in all, it was quite enjoyable. And when it was done, I sipped on seltzer water and thought about the martini flavors more. Cataloging in my brain what the different aspects of flavor were in it.

All was well when I went to sleep.

This morning I woke up with the worst headache I've had in the last 10 years!! Wow, I felt like my head had been driven over by a garbage truck!

What did I learn from this? Well, I will still enjoy a cocktail every once in a while. But I'm definitely going to make it a rare occasion!

La Croix Water, Perrier or Pellegrino with a fruit squirt-- lemon, lime or orange--- in a Wine Glass!! Works for me.

This worked SO well for my husband and I last night!! We tried Pellegrino, squirted juice from a lime into it and then put a lime slice on the wine glass to make it look fancy. It was surprisingly delicious and 100% satisfying. I can even see myself drinking this at the next party I go to which is crazy because I was a HUGE drinker pre-W30. Thank you to shelley417 for the amazing idea! :D

I shared my train wreck experience on a different post......but it it so pertinent to this thread.

I finished my Whole30 on Saturday and proceeded to drink 3 glasses of wine and eat pizza.....long story, but it was in direct correlation to stress from a personal situation with a friend. (Can you say "emotional eating!!!")

The next day I felt like crap - not only that I had crashed and burned. But also physically! Woke up with horrible headache + nauseous + yucky. Not the hangover type symptoms, but very different. So, even though I wanted to introduce wine back into my world, I now see it so differently. Wine is now something that makes me feel physically depleted and run down. My heightened awareness received a culture shock.

So I'm back on track and going into a new Whole30 to repair my weekend damage. One of my goals this time? To reevalute (again) the role that unhealthy choices plays in my well being.

This is such a great post! I'm curious to see how I do on this one (I'm currently on day 1 :) ) I too have gotten into the (bad) habit of using wine to relax and unplug (I think it started when I lived with my in-laws for almost 2 years =| )

I love everyone's suggestions and will try the tea at night as I already spend too much $$ on seltzer... The last time I did a "diet" (I know, it's not a diet) that required NO alcohol...well, I was 20...so it wasn't an issue for me then.

Thanks all!

I finished my W30 on Jan. 31st and when it came down to it, wine was really the main ingredient missing in my life for those 30 days. I dreaded not having a glass (or 2 or 3 or 4) at night. My rationalizations are numerous for why I deserve a glass or 3...I don't have many vices, I eat paleo anyway, I crossfit 4-5X per week, for 59 I'm in pretty good shape, I have a nicely stocked wine cellar and darn it, I just really enjoy the taste and the relaxation. Problem is, my wife doesn't like red wine, so when I open a bottle it's just me drinking and I think why let it go to waste??

SO, even though the 30 days is up and I had reasonable success (meaning I lost 7#s, an 1 1/2 around my waist and it was just a miracle I didn't gain weight as many fat grams as I was consumed) I have not had a glass of wine yet. I really, really want one but I will admit here since no one knows me that I am actually afraid to? I'm afraid to say I'll do without, I'm completely unwilling to say that if I open a bottle I'll just have one or 2 glasses and I'm not sure I can convince myself to just treat myself on special days.

Right now, I'm sticking with club soda and lemon but that wine cellar I'm sure is hiding the Dragon.

Help!!

Reese, have you ever looked into the wine bottle vaccuum sealers? They really do a decent job of keeping the wine from oxidizing (for at least a few days). That way you can have your 1-2 glasses of wine, and save the rest for another day. It won't be the same as an unopened bottle, but better than wasting half a bottle, or forcing yourself to drink a whole bottle in a night!

Another option for just a casual glass here and there is boxed wine. Before you tar and feather me, there are some decent wines in boxes these days. In NYC, they run around $30 a box, which is crazy cheap but not as insane as Franzia. The wine (especialy the red zinfandels and tempranillos I've tried) is very drinkable. Plus, the wine doesn't hit the air until you pour it, so iyou can have a glass or two and the rest will last for a really long time. I also really like having a box around because I can pour off a half glass to use for cooking, without then feeling like I need to drink the rest before it goes bad. :)

I really, really want one but I will admit here since no one knows me that I am actually afraid to? I'm afraid to say I'll do without, I'm completely unwilling to say that if I open a bottle I'll just have one or 2 glasses and I'm not sure I can convince myself to just treat myself on special days.

From the sounds of everyone else's experience, I think the wine may not be as great as you remember (or at least, the hangover will be a lot worse!). I started eating clean[er] a few days before my W30 and had one glass of wine with dinner the Saturday before I started on the Monday, and I had a terrible headache even before I went to bed! I was buzzed off one glass and then went straight into hangover mode!! It wasn't great.

I think the main thing is to evaluate why you want the wine so much, and, if it is really something you desire (high on your F-OFF scale http://www.urbangetsdiesel.com/2008/10/healthyfuck-off-scale.html), give it a try and really enjoy it!

Thanks much. Yea, I think it is high on my scale so I'm going to try a vacuum sealer. And you are right, there are some good box wines (I've had the Black Box Cabernet and yes it is drinkable) and yet they are not so good that I'd probably drink more than a couple glasses.

Perhaps save the bottles for those special occassions. THANKS, really I appreciate somebody responding without saying, UHHH have you tried AA? haha

I love, love, loved wine. I could drink a bottle without any problem and my re-intro choice was Red wine. I had wine on Friday and Saturday (even though I felt awful on Saturday-headache) But since Saturday I have no cravings for wine, really weird! I wanted to kill someone for wine the first 10 days of Whole 30. So, Reece, you might surprise yourself and not really love it the way you did pre-whole 30

Thanks much. Yea, I think it is high on my scale so I'm going to try a vacuum sealer. And you are right, there are some good box wines (I've had the Black Box Cabernet and yes it is drinkable) and yet they are not so good that I'd probably drink more than a couple glasses.

Perhaps save the bottles for those special occassions. THANKS, really I appreciate somebody responding without saying, UHHH have you tried AA? haha

I did surprise myself in 2 ways. 1. I had just one glass tonight out of a bottle of Cab from Argentina 2. I really, really enjoyed it. I think I enjoyed smelling it as much as tasting it. But I did manage to cork it after an initial taste and one glass, put it in the fridge and say, well done!!

THANKS, really I appreciate somebody responding without saying, UHHH have you tried AA? haha

I hear ya! I think it's interesting the kinds of reactions I got from people when I told them I was doing Whole30. It seems like some of the people who think you shouldn't drink "too much" wine, beer, cocktails, are the exact same people who say "what?! You're not gonna drink anything?!".

Hi, everyone! I have a question: can anyone suggest compliant substitutes for wine for relaxation -- especially to relax before, say, public speaking, as opposed to relaxing at bedtime? I'm asking because I usually have a glass or two to help me get over my stage fright. Any suggestions?

When I was doing public speaking for work, I would use visualization. Take a few deep breaths, take a moment to visualize yourself speaking with confidence and clarity. I did it with eyes open so that I would stay grounded in the present. Remember that you have all the information that you need.

Who knows, maybe you will even find it easier than you thought without alcohol. I haven't worked at that job in a few years, but I could go right back out now in front of a crowd and do my thing. When I first started I was so afraid of my role. It really changed me for the better to get over the fear of public speaking.

I did surprise myself in 2 ways. 1. I had just one glass tonight out of a bottle of Cab from Argentina 2. I really, really enjoyed it. I think I enjoyed smelling it as much as tasting it. But I did manage to cork it after an initial taste and one glass, put it in the fridge and say, well done!!

Great work, Reese! I am going to be in BC at the end of my W30 and have been wondering about re-introducing some yummy wine myself. I am planning on having a little and really enjoying it!

I visited the forum this morning looking for some support on the wine issue. I have a balsamic beef roast and acorn squash in the slow cooker tonight, and am planning to do some roasted asparagus. This is the kind of meal that is BEGGING for a glass (or two...) of Cabernet. It is KILLING me knowing I can't touch my stash of bottles tonight with this delicious meal, just because I know it would be so good!

I am on Day 8 and will NOT jeopardize myself over this, I just am more or less looking for a place to vent my frustration. I don't really miss the wine per se, nor do I miss the "buzz" or the sugar...it's just a psychological hang up that when I make a delicious dinner, I need a glass of wine alongside. Does that make sense? Really stupid...should not be this big of a deal, I know. :rolleyes:

I was in the habit of having a couple glasses of red in the evening, most evenings. After going without it doesn't bother me to skip it altogether. We're in the middle of the big blizzard here for the past two nights. As the Fire Chief and EMO guy (FEMA to all of y'all). I have a 4x4 Fire Rescue truck parked in the driveway so I can get to where I need to go. Needless to say, a dry weekend. Doesn't bother me a bit.

This might be kind of hokey, but I have found that if I tell myself "I could drink a big ol' glass of wine but I choose not to" helps a great deal. If I am consciously denying myself something, it makes that food or drink a mental focus and soon I can think of nothing else. If it's a choice, then no mental debate.

Wine is the only thing I know for sure I will be adding back into my diet at the end of my Whole30. Mommy needs her 'juice' :)

Hi, everyone! I have a question: can anyone suggest compliant substitutes for wine for relaxation -- especially to relax before, say, public speaking, as opposed to relaxing at bedtime? I'm asking because I usually have a glass or two to help me get over my stage fright. Any suggestions?

Relora. Or Kava Kava. Both work for me.

I have alcoholic tendencies and my advice is to avoid drinking as long as possible. I usually make it about a week after a w30 ends before I have a cocktail and then it's all over for me. I absolutely make shitty food choices when I drink or I skip meals altogether because I'm not hungry. I've done a lot of soul searching since September and I know now for certain that I do have a problem with alcohol. It was my biggest concern when I decided to do my first whole30. I didn't care about the cream in my coffee, my beloved cheese and fancy crackers nearly as much as I cared about giving up booze. I have to say now that I feel powerful knowing I can and DID give it up for 30 days, twice.

I have alcoholic tendencies and my advice is to avoid drinking as long as possible. I usually make it about a week after a w30 ends before I have a cocktail and then it's all over for me. I absolutely make shitty food choices when I drink or I skip meals altogether because I'm not hungry. I've done a lot of soul searching since September and I know now for certain that I do have a problem with alcohol. It was my biggest concern when I decided to do my first whole30. I didn't care about the cream in my coffee, my beloved cheese and fancy crackers nearly as much as I cared about giving up booze. I have to say now that I feel powerful knowing I can and DID give it up for 30 days, twice.

You should be proud. I feel very much the same way about alcohol. I was sure I wouldn't be able to go without my wine, everything else I could do without. And yes, going off Whole 30, I was fearful that I would go back to indulging every day again. I have made a promise to only drink on Sat, and Sun. This is even tough to do at times. Once I have one glass of wine, I usually have two.

Congrats to you, it's hard to even admit!

Thank you. Alcohol really is my downfall. At least I come by it naturally... loooooooooong family line of drinkers. I didn't realize how much alcohol messed with my sleep until I added it back in. Wowsa!

It also helps that Whole30 cured my lifelong anxiety and I drank to self medicate. Now that the anxiety is GONE the old reason for drinking doesn't hold up any longer and truly I don't like how I feel in the middle of the night or the next morning after a couple of cocktails and I can't have one. One leads to three and I have a heavy hand when pouring.

My husband was drinking a glass of whiskey the other night while we were soaking in the hot tub and just the smell gave me the most intense cravings and I swear I could taste the oak and I wanted some but I wanted good sleep more so that night, I won! :D

• 2 years later...

Hi all,
I am on day 4 of my Whole30 and determined to do this. One reason I started is that as a single mom empty nester, no longer having to put meals on the table, I found it easier to come home, pour the first glass of white wine and nibble my way through the evening chores, tv, etc sipping wine until bedtime.

Not sugar coating it. I've had at least a bottle a night for YEARS...and when the box wine came out...well...one doesn't even know how much one is drinking( or pretends not to). So, I would eat cheese and crackers and processed food, I would skip breakfast, grab lunch out, and a lot of my calories in the evening were liquid. I was always considered to be an attractive woman. Lost and gained the same 10 to 15 pounds, which I could carry pretty well, so I never felt that overweight....and then I turned 50. All the weight shifted to my belly and rosacea has gradually gotten worse. I found myself reluctant to date in case someone would start judging me. I'm a highly functioning executive and take care of a big home and don't like being judged you others...except I do it myself constantly.

A friend was doing the whole 30 and was posting pics of the recipes she was making and every one of them looked so delicious! mayo? Really? Eggs? Sweet potatoes? This is a diet?

I used to be a great cook, and now here I was sitting around in the evening doing very little and had no concentration and no goals. I hated my clothes because they betray my spare tire...I was tired, sluggish, had no metabolism. So I said enough is enough! It was a Friday night and I resolved to start Monday. Drank the bottle of white I had in the fridge, woke up Sunday and thought...why not today? So I started that day.

It's only 4 days so far, but I am occupied in the evenings prepping lunch for tomorrow, cooking and sitting down at the table for a meal instead of eating in front of the tv, looking at recipes for the week. I MISS the wine, but less than I thought. It's only day 4, and my withdrawal is in the form of not being able to sleep. Not great, but I am confident that will resolve itself. I make a frozen smoothie (pineapple, frozen strawberries and blueberries and a little 100% juice) and sip on that while I am reading when I would have been drinking. I know it is frowned upon, but I'm careful to keep it to one about 8 oz. and I keep my fruit servings lighter during the day. I think for as much as I had been drinking, it's pretty amazing that it works...My other substitute is seltzer with a squeeze of Pom and a few Pomegranite arels...it looks very festive and pink in a wine glass!

I've already warned my partying friends not to pressure me at this Saturday's Halloween party...it's only 30 days guys! I 'll be able to have a New Years drink with you! ( if I still want to) somehow when they think it is just a diet, they don't judge as much.

.it's only been 4 days, but I already feel so good that it's going so well. I'm not hungry at all. The food thing is a snap (except for the coffee cream) so far. I'm sure that all the salad prep is going to get old, but I'm going to keep looking at new recipes. Timing is perfect. I finish 3 days before Thanksgiving. I may enjoy the holiday and then try to stick to the program again until Christmas....good luck all! If a white wino like me can do it...so can you!

• Administrators

I make a frozen smoothie (pineapple, frozen strawberries and blueberries and a little 100% juice) and sip on that while I am reading when I would have been drinking. I know it is frowned upon, but I'm careful to keep it to one about 8 oz. and I keep my fruit servings lighter during the day. I think for as much as I had been drinking, it's pretty amazing that it works...My other substitute is seltzer with a squeeze of Pom and a few Pomegranite arels...it looks very festive and pink in a wine glass!

I loved your whole write up, very self aware and genuine, kudos!  While you do mention you know that the smoothie is frowned upon, I wanted to come in and gently encourage you to phase this out as quickly as possible.  It's not alcohol but it is a huge hit of sugar and your sugar/wine dragon is just using it as a stand-in.  Stick with your seltzer-pom combo, it'll do you better in the short and long run.  (think of your difficulty sleeping and the fact that you are shooting sugar into your system before bed while also withdrawing from alcohol).  :)

Archived