Jan 7 starters group

Stepford WASP

I thought it might be fun/helpful for those starting our WholeWhatevers today to have our own topic. Maybe we can begin by linking to our logs.

Here's mine.

It's early yet, but aside from crappy sleep, it's been good so far. Surprisingly no cravings yet, just a few psychological twinges.

I do miss my morning latte, but I'll adapt to espresso, and I hope to even start liking green tea.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just ate scrambled egg whites with spinach and cherry tomatoes. It actually felt really good to eat so healthy after two weeks of Christmas binging and then ski hill food (fries, burgers, etc). I'm pumped to be starting this journey, but a bit nervous as well. I know this first week is going to be awful. I figure there's no point denying it. But, here goes...day 1! Good luck to everyone getting started today! Let's do this together!

Hello all. I happen to be starting my whole 30 today too. I've tried to do a whole 30 a few other times. The first time, I lasted about 3 days and the second time, I made it a week. I felt great....and then I got food poisoning and I was sick for 4 days. When I got better, I couldn't bring myself to eat all the stuff I had been eating before I got sick, so I quickly slipped into my old ways. But this time is going to be different! :)

I just sat down to a delicious breakfast of eggs with onions and tomatos and a cup of tea with no sugar (I've actually been drinking my tea in the morning without sugar since I tried whole 30 for the first time.) I have my meals planned out for the rest of the day, and I plan on going shopping later and planning for the next few days.

Hi all, So happy to be joining you on this adventure! Today is officially my "day 1", although I tried it out starting the 1/1/13, completing 4 full days successfully. I knew last weekend would put me in a situation where it was nearly impossible to stick to the plan, so I just planned to do the first 4 days, not worry this weekend, and then start for 30 days starting today.

So from my limited experience, I offer first a word of encouragement: even though the first few days were hard, I had times where I felt GREAT! Like the fog had lifted and I felt energetic and my mind was clear. I can't tell you how amazing it was! I am looking forward to seeing all the benefits that we'll experience in the next 30 days.

Also a word of caution: Slip-ups are totally not worth it! Saturday I was at a competition I was judging for, and I was able to snack on veggies and fruits, but there came a time when I knew I could not focus on my job unless I ate something more substantial. They had brought in Subway for lunch, so I ate a sandwich (on white bread, with cheese). And since I broke my whole30 plan, I might as well enjoy one last cookie, right? I was with my parents that evening and ate a burger and fries with regular soda to drink. Sunday morning I felt sick to my stomach and all that food came back up...it was the worst! I couldn't believe that my body would react so strongly, but needless to say today I am back on the plan, and so glad to be here for 30 days, do or die! <also will point out that I am pretty good at self-control, but my area of absolute weakness is being around my parents, which is why I knew this weekend wouldn't work. Since I won't be seeing them for this month, I am confident that I can finish this!>

Today--I feel pretty good. A little anxious because I was gone for the weekend and wasn't able to prepare much food. So today I have no meat (but am eating eggs for protein). I'm going to get groceries and cook this evening. I may make Cayenne-rubbed chicken with Avacado salsa again, which was my favorite recipe I found last week!

Good luck to everyone on day 1!

Hey there! Hour 4 of Day 1 and I'm feeling great!!! Actually, the only change so far has been no dairy in my morning coffee.

Said goodbye to my wine last night. That was hard! Actually... I've been saying goodbye to my wine for days!! Who am I kidding???

Have the whole week planned out... Fail to plan, plan to fail!

Good luck everyone!!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who needed to the end last week to prepare (binge?)!

I've attempted primal 30 day challenges twice and have failed within a week each time. However, I believe I can be successful with Whole 30 for two reasons:

One: It completely restricts my trigger foods. No more teasing myself with one glass of wine, one shot of tequila, one bite of cheese or chocolate.

Two: My husband is on board for the first time. No more watching him eat sourdough toast for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, quesadillas for late night snack. Yea!

Here are the reasons I want to complete this Whole 30:

I'm 5'4" and a size 16.

I feel tired most of the time.

Backaches/joint aches

Depression for years

Sleeplessness

Constant post nasal drip

Loud snoring (or so I'm told)

Intense PMS moods

Painful menstruation, lots of clots

Sex three times in 2012 because my husband is not attracted to me. For 17 years we were 5-10x per week. He's a very good husband so please don't bag on him if you reply to me. He is not having an affair. But this lack of sex life cannot go on forever. I went from a size 10 to a 16 in about two years. I should be a 6 I think. I only share this because others reading this may need to know they are not alone.

It's time for me to let go of the old habits and embrace the good ones. It's time for me to find out how food and drink are affecting me. Its time to give myself a chance at happiness, energy, romance, joy, and laughter again. And it's time to FEEL GOOD.

Thanks!

I am re-starting today too! Nice to see others do just like me. Started on Jan 2 and did good for 3 days then on the 4th there was a birthday bash and the 5th a baby shower. I indulged in wine and that led to other forbidden snacks blah, blah, blah.

Starting fresh today. I am doing this mainly for my health. I am a fitness instructor and my joints are achy, bad knee, now ankle bugging me, and I need more energy for the second half of my day. Been drinking too much wine and other spirits and of course the holiday's eating anything and everything. I have put on an extra 10 pounds ugh!

I've done many, many weight loss programs have reached my goals and gained and lost the same 20 over and over. I really like the principles of this program and I know it is it great for me. I hope I will see successful results in pain etc. I like to encourage my class students and other people and I want a program I can recommend that is safe, healthy, tasty, and affordable.

Looking forward to 30 days (and beyond) of clean eating. :D

Hi there!

I'm starting today, but at lunch, LOL. I had one last breakfast burrito this morning and have had Coke Zero, but tomorrow will be better! I'll add an extra day to the end to compensate.

Lunch was a salad with kale and baby spinach, cucumbers, avocado, hard-boiled egg, craisins, cashews, and grilled chicken breast.

I'm a recovering alcoholic who developed a massive sugar addiction when I quit drinking 19 months ago. I've been testing my drinking boundaries lately so am glad to be able to commit to a new 30 days of sobriety.

I'm a single mom to two little boys, ages 2 and 6. The kids will be on plan with me at dinner. My baby is a very picky eater so I'm not going to try and change his diet, but my big kid has a fantastic healthy appetite.

I have terrible gut issues, and am pretty sure soy and gluten are the main culprits, and possibly dairy. I hope this diet will help.

My goal is to lose 10 pounds, a few inches of muffin top, and sleep better.

Mel =)

Day1! I've never been on any sort of meal plan where what I ate was restricted, so this is going to be a new experience for me. I'm excited to experience how my body really reacts to the foods I've been eating for so long.

Didn't sleep very well last night, as my mind was racing on recipe overload. Too many options!! Spinach/meat muffin from Wellfed for breakfast this morning and a big salad with chicken, olives, homemade avocado dressing and lots of veggies for lunch. Hopefully I got enough fat/protein to get me though the afternoon. I have a backup hard-boiled egg in my desk if I miscalculated.

I'm terrified of the fist time I have to go to a restaurant!

I started today too! So far, so good.

Actually, that's a lie. I freaked out the night before about how hard this is going to be. And then this morning I was upset because I couldn't eat Frosted Flakes. Except I never (ever) eat breakfast, so it wasn't like I'm used to having cereal in the morning. I was just upset it wasn't an option, I guess... But, once I got to the kitchen and made myself eat something (eggs, spinach, avocado), I started feeling better. Lunch was good, filled me up till dinner. And dinner was excellent. Bracing for the upcoming sugar withdrawal.

Food Log

Good luck!

Hello! I'm doing a Whole 30 primarily because it might help my mental illness (bipolar, depression, or anxiety depending on which physician you ask). The same mental problems also have my sleep schedule completely out of whack, so I hope this will reset it along more normal times. Weight loss or redistribution would be a nice bonus. Food Log

Lindyj, since I decided to start late this morning and hadn't prepared, my first Whole 30 meal was Chipotle. According to these forums, their carnitas, lettuce, mild salsa, and guac are safe. Is that an option in your area?

Ok. Day 2 and I feel like I got run over by a large vehicle. Wine withdraw, I'm sure. I hate my black coffee. Tea is worse. I know change is coming, but this is hard. Am eating great from the recipes from Well Fed though. Delicious. I think there is crack in bread.

... but constantly worried about what I am going to eat. Although it seems easy, I still worry for some reason.

I understand that completely, and I also hope it becomes easier as we get used to preparing meals in a new way.

It isn't such an issue for me at home, and I have prepared for the apocalypse at work by stocking my drawer with:

• Several cans of Pastene tuna (the 3.5 ounce ones packed in olive oil).
  • A bag of whole, raw walnuts, though I try to minimize eating these due to w6 acids—at least until my omegas come back into balance.
  • Small jar of macadamia nuts
  • A few Primal Packs
  • Avodados
  • The smallest apples I can find (TJ's sells bags of them, and they are wee)
  • Gluten-free jerky

An easy at-home meal is to brown a bunch of gound meat in a large skillet, one that has a cover. When it's mostly cooked, toss in a bag of frozen veggies with some herbs/spices and sea salt, stir, cover, and let the whole thing steam/simmer until the veggies are bright and al dente.

It isn't elegant, but it's filling and compliant.

Lindyj, since I decided to start late this morning and hadn't prepared, my first Whole 30 meal was Chipotle. According to these forums, their carnitas, lettuce, mild salsa, and guac are safe. Is that an option in your area?

The closest Chipotle is about six hours away. I live in a small town of ~5000, so my options are limited. We do have a couple really good restaurants that specialize in local food. They'll be the ones I attempt first!

Ok. Day 2 and I feel like I got run over by a large vehicle. Wine withdraw, I'm sure. I hate my black coffee. Tea is worse. I know change is coming, but this is hard. Am eating great from the recipes from Well Fed though. Delicious. I think there is crack in bread.

I was very tired yesterday evening and woke up feeling very exhausted today too! However, as the day goes on I seem to be getting a little bit more energy.

Hi All!

Just wanted to poke my head in & say hello. I'm on Day 2 as well & totally understand the constant worry about what to eat. It's almost all I think about! :( I know it'll fade...but that's been the hard part so far. Food wise, I'm satisfied & my co-worker even commented on my lunch yesterday (DAY1) "Mmmm....what's for lunch? That smells delicious!" I think i actually enjoyed it more because of that. :)

Hi All!

Just wanted to poke my head in & say hello. I'm on Day 2 as well & totally understand the constant worry about what to eat. It's almost all I think about! I know it'll fade...but that's been the hard part so far. Food wise, I'm satisfied & my co-worker even commented on my lunch yesterday (DAY1) "Mmmm....what's for lunch? That smells delicious!" I think i actually enjoyed it more because of that.

Just also popping in to add my 2 cents. I am on my 4th Whole 30..maybe my 5th. I rarely off road when I finish mine so it's all a blur. I am doing a W100 this time. About the obsessing over what to eat. It gets SO much easier. I have my go to items so I keep those on hand. Then I make a double batch of at least 2 approved recipes that I haven't tried. Tom's and Johnny's blogs are great for that. I do a cookathon to make sure I have a lot of steamed veggies and slow cooker spaghetti squash on hand. Thanks to Johnny, I will also roast up a bunch of root veggies. Then the veggie part is ready to toss into a pan with ghee and coconut aminos. So easy. Just try to get really familiar with the can and cannot haves and try not to tweak the plan if you want maximum benefit. Like anything, perfection may not happen immediately or ever for some, but with each W30, it gets better and easier. :)

Just also popping in to add my 2 cents. I am on my 4th Whole 30..maybe my 5th. I rarely off road when I finish mine so it's all a blur. I am doing a W100 this time. About the obsessing over what to eat. It gets SO much easier. I have my go to items so I keep those on hand. Then I make a double batch of at least 2 approved recipes that I haven't tried. Tom's and Johnny's blogs are great for that. I do a cookathon to make sure I have a lot of steamed veggies and slow cooker spaghetti squash on hand. Thanks to Johnny, I will also roast up a bunch of root veggies. Then the veggie part is ready to toss into a pan with ghee and coconut aminos. So easy. Just try to get really familiar with the can and cannot haves and try not to tweak the plan if you want maximum benefit. Like anything, perfection may not happen immediately or ever for some, but with each W30, it gets better and easier. :)

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I've been using Well Fed & did a 'cook up' before I started so I'm probably more prepared than i think I am. I do need to stock up the desk drawer at work...just in case...

Excuse my ignorance but, "Tom's & Johnny's blogs"? :wacko:

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I've been using Well Fed & did a 'cook up' before I started so I'm probably more prepared than i think I am. I do need to stock up the desk drawer at work...just in case...

Excuse my ignorance but, "Tom's & Johnny's blogs"?

Oh sorry. Tom Denham and Johnny M are two of the fabulous moderators on this site. Just find a post by them and the links to their blogs and Whole 30 recipes are in their signatures. Not sure, but if you look them up in members, you may see their links on their profiles.

Archived