"80% Compliance" (with Whole30) = "20% Results"

Susan R

Added sugars, what a demon!

The quote from the article below really hit me. The day before yesterday, I had some "mango salsa" and it wasn't until afterwards that I read the label and saw that it included some form of sugar. It didn't even occur to me that they would add sugar to something so amazing by itself! Prior to that, I found out my "uncured" bacon has added sugar. For some reason, I thought "uncured" equaled preservative and sugar free. Added sugar is everywhere - ugh!

Luckily for me, I've signed up for the Whole30 Daily. I was reading my "Day 7" Whole30 Daily email and found this through the links provided. (A link off a link, to be precise!)

This is from Whole9 Life post by Melissa and Dallas:

“…because the Whole30 done with 80% compliance will mean your members will see (you know what's coming…) 20% of the results…â€

http://whole9life.com/2010/10/trouble-with-points/

I don't want 20% results. I want 100% results. From this day forward, I am going to be more diligent, more aware. For me. Because I'm worth it. PS ~ I'll let you know how the homemade Mango Salsa turns out! :)

Oh no!! After reading this I checked my uncured bacon label...Sugar! :o I only used a little crumbles on salad, but still. :angry: Thanks for pointing it out

Thanks, Bethie! I don't know about you, but I'm just going to learn and move on. I found some sugar free, preservative free sausage so I'll use that until I can find some good bacon (I think M&D have posted about bacon before)! Thanks for the support, it's so helpful. ~Susan

Day 9! Yay! It does get a bit easier, thank God! :)

I think I've been eating too many nuts, although they're pretty amazing! Otherwise, I'm doing "pretty good" and finding the label exploring is going a bit better.

I looked at primal pacs -- man, I wish everything paleo wasn't so expensive! I'll keep working on it; I love M&D's email today that included the travel guide. http://whole9life.co...ravel-Guide.pdf

I'm almost 1/3 of the way through to my first 30 days! :lol:

Day 10 - Frustrating that I cannot get an answer on "how much sugar is in the Jennie-O Uncured Turkey Bacon?"

They just say "brown sugar" and the carbs aren't high so it seems that would be "little". But how much is little? I want measurements, people! I'm trying to see if it's something I'm going to keep in my freezer, or donate.

Otherwise, I'm not feeling overly different today- which means I feel relatively good. My skin is more clear, I'm sleeping well and my mood is stable. I LOVE that my mood has leveled out. I'm sure some of it is post-holiday but much of it is dietary. Who knew? What a great way to start fresh!

Reading ingredients - not just nutritional value - is SUPER important. You're so right, sugar is everywhere (You might look at your salt for dextrose while you're at it!). When you see sugar in the ingredients, even if nutritional value say 0g carbs, it's still out. It usually means that sugar has been used in processing the food and Whole30 is about whole, unprocessed foods. Also, FDA laws allow companies to write 0 if there is less than a gram of carbs per portion. Most companies take advantage of this and reduce their portions in order to get just under 1g. Evil marketing!

For the bacon, you might have more chances at a local organic butcher. If their bacon has sugar, you might be able to get a customized batch.

When you see sugar in the ingredients, even if nutritional value say 0g carbs, it's still out. It usually means that sugar has been used in processing the food and Whole30 is about whole, unprocessed foods. Also, FDA laws allow companies to write 0 if there is less than a gram of carbs per portion. Most companies take advantage of this and reduce their portions in order to get just under 1g. Evil marketing!

Thanks, Renee, I had no idea! Also, I didn't realize dextrose was sugar until yesterday! I thought my sausage was (surprisingly) sugar-free! It's carb and sugar free as far as the grams on the label - I had no idea they could "bend the rules" like that.

I think they need the "Whole30 for Truth in Advertising"-- Can you imagine? If companies had to advertise only the truth for 30 days?!?! Ha ha. What a different set of commercials we would have! :)

I'm pretty sure you can buy bacon from US Wellness meats. I checked with my local pig farmer, but their bacon uses brown sugar.

I've posted this in other topics, but I was very happy to switch to buying ground pork, adding my own seasonings (message me if you want the recipe) and making sausage patties. Sometimes I cook them on the stove top, but the most recent and easiest way is to lay the patties out on a stoneware baking sheet and bake them at 350 for 25 minutes. Perfect! Then I drain off the fat through a double-mesh sieve and save the grease in a glass jar. We use it to cook eggs in, scrambled or friend! Don't really miss bacon, but I expect I will have some after my whole30, just not instead of sausage.

I went to my local butcher and they gave me something they call "Fresh sides". It's cut like bacon and a little salt is added, but that's it. It's not smoked or cured, but still tastes pretty assume when you cook it up. I usually just add a little of my own seasoning before cooking. Added bonus is that it costs less than their bacon!

Archived