Protein Powder??

rezzager

Is there an approved Protein Powder? I love to have a shake for breakfast. My old way was Zrii Protein Powder (but has stevia extract and cocoa powder), almond milk, handful of frozen berries and handful of spinach. Today is my first day on Whole 30 so I skipped the protein shake and had 3 slices bacon and 1/2 c berries. Is that ok?

Is there an approved Protein Powder? I love to have a shake for breakfast. My old way was Zrii Protein Powder (but has stevia extract and cocoa powder), almond milk, handful of frozen berries and handful of spinach. Today is my first day on Whole 30 so I skipped the protein shake and had 3 slices bacon and 1/2 c berries. Is that ok?

There is no protein powder that is okay. The book lays out the reason why. It's basically that your brain doesn't process liquid food the same way it processes chewing real, whole foods.

The problem with bacon is that it is almost all fat so you aren't getting your protein. The bacon manifesto speaks of using bacon as a condiment instead. So 2-3 eggs with one piece of bacon would be more appropriate. Also, if your bacon isn't from pastured pigs, you could be getting a lot of toxins in that bacon fat. As to the berries, that is fine but you need veggies to go with them.

At the top of this page, click on the Whole 30 tab. The meal templates will explain how to fill your plate. If you haven't read It Starts With Food, I highly recommend it. :)

• Moderators

In comparison to Susan's response, mine is a bit of a rant. Be forewarned...

You need a much better breakfast than you ate today or that you were eating in the past.

No protein powder is okay. Every one is a stripped down approximation of real food. Every one is highly processed. Everything about protein powder is the opposite of what the Whole30 is about... eating real, whole foods. In addition, drinking your meals changes the proper rhythm of digestion and invites your hormones to get out of whack.

Three slices of bacon and half a cup of berries is not okay either. The Whole30 standard for a meal is a portion of protein as big as the palm of your hand. I bet your hand is bigger than three slices of bacon. The rest of the Whole30 standard is to fill the rest of your plate around your protein with veggies. A half a cup of berries is not nearly enough plant matter. Veggies are superior to fruit at almost every point, but that aside, you are not eating enough.

Ok thanks guys. That's exactly what I needed to know. Just ordered my book yesterday so I'm not fully educated yet. I'll add some eggs but damn that bacon tastes good. I believe it is the approved kind of bacon from whole foods but I'll check again. Lunch was chicken kabob, roasted veggies and salad. Dinner 4 paleo meatballs with marinara, 4 asparagus spears and salad.

Ok thanks guys. That's exactly what I needed to know. Just ordered my book yesterday so I'm not fully educated yet. I'll add some eggs but damn that bacon tastes good. I believe it is the approved kind of bacon from whole foods but I'll check again. Lunch was chicken kabob, roasted veggies and salad. Dinner 4 paleo meatballs with marinara, 4 asparagus spears and salad.

I have never seen approved bacon at WF. If it's Applegate Sunday bacon, it isn't approved. It has sugar in the ingredients list.

As far as I have seen, US Wellness meats is only place with Whole30 approved bacon. Please be careful and check carefully at farmers' markets. All my farmer's pastured pork, that is cured, has sugar in it. It is NOT a given that farmer's market pork is compliant.

I've been lurking here in the forums reading various posts, but had to register today just to share my personal experience with protein powders with the Whole9life program. As an athlete, the addition of protein powder to my diet (especially immediately after a workout) has been extremely beneficial to my physique. I've been following Paleo eating for about a year and a half, and the first year I was eating only whole foods, as listed on the whole9life program. No processed foods. I had excellent results and lost a lot of bodyfat. I also lost muscle, even though I had taken in plenty of calories.

I decided to experiment by adding a serving of protein powder immediately following my hour long 3 times/week strength training workouts. Almost immediately my athletic performace started to show improvement. After a month, the results were noticable even in the mirror. My muscles were getting fuller. I was no longer losing muscle. That single 40gm serving of protein powder after my workouts was making a noticable difference. Although protein powder is "stripped down" and processed as Tom says, that's exactly what you need for your muscles immediately after a workout. A stripped down source of fast digesting protein that goes into the muscles as quickly as possible. You don't want to be consuming solid food protein sources immediately following a rigerous workout. The window of opportunity for amino acids to get into those muscles after a workout is short, and that's where protein powders are the most beneficial.

My experiment with protein powder has worked absolutely wonderfully for me. But this is something athletes need. Athletes tear down their muscles and need to rebuild them quickly. The average person who is doing the Whole9life program and not performing streneous strength-trainign workouts can stick to the regular whole meal program and get enough protein to meet their needs. However, for athletes, a quick source of fast digesting protein of between 30-40gms after a workout is a must have in my opinion.

Robbster, we appreciate your experience, but it IS possible to get enough protein in without resorting to protein powders. Is it hard? yes. Is it work? yes. convenient? No. But it IS possible.

(Bcaa's, if you can find ones without sweeteners are allowed, btw)

Real food > powders. We encourage everybody to take the 30 days without the shakes, like you did before you decided to tinker

Renee, I agree that everybody should do the 30 days of whole foods before tinkering. My issue was not about not getting enough protein, but the benefit of getting the right source of protein at the right time. i.e. post workout. BCAA's are great, and I use them intra-workouts. Post workouts is where the fast digesting protein is needed. Other than that, it's whole foods all the way.

I've been lurking here in the forums reading various posts, but had to register today just to share my personal experience with protein powders with the Whole9life program. As an athlete, the addition of protein powder to my diet (especially immediately after a workout) has been extremely beneficial to my physique. I've been following Paleo eating for about a year and a half, and the first year I was eating only whole foods, as listed on the whole9life program. No processed foods. I had excellent results and lost a lot of bodyfat. I also lost muscle, even though I had taken in plenty of calories.

I decided to experiment by adding a serving of protein powder immediately following my hour long 3 times/week strength training workouts. Almost immediately my athletic performace started to show improvement. After a month, the results were noticable even in the mirror. My muscles were getting fuller. I was no longer losing muscle. That single 40gm serving of protein powder after my workouts was making a noticable difference. Although protein powder is "stripped down" and processed as Tom says, that's exactly what you need for your muscles immediately after a workout. A stripped down source of fast digesting protein that goes into the muscles as quickly as possible. You don't want to be consuming solid food protein sources immediately following a rigerous workout. The window of opportunity for amino acids to get into those muscles after a workout is short, and that's where protein powders are the most beneficial.

My experiment with protein powder has worked absolutely wonderfully for me. But this is something athletes need. Athletes tear down their muscles and need to rebuild them quickly. The average person who is doing the Whole9life program and not performing streneous strength-trainign workouts can stick to the regular whole meal program and get enough protein to meet their needs. However, for athletes, a quick source of fast digesting protein of between 30-40gms after a workout is a must have in my opinion.

What brand of protein do you use? I powerlift and making gains (or, gainz brah) is difficult, though not impossible as Renee has reminded me. I'm taking this 30 days (and maybe more) off from supplementation obviously, but once I start to allow supps again, I'm looking for something quality. Progenex? True Nutrition? Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Robbster: You are absolutely correct. There is a 30-45 minute "window of opportunity" following a workout where the body's ability to respond to feeding is high. 30 minutes of less is ideal. 45 is still OK. After that it doesn't matter if you eat at 1 hour after working out or 3 hours, from a hormonal/metabolism perspective. Liquid nutrition is your friend during this time because digestion of whole foods doesn't occur quick enough to take advantage of this "window."

You also need some high glycemic carbs (1:1 to 1:2 ratio PRO:CHO), this helps reduce the cortisol response which is elevated after workout. Cortisol's job is to perform gluconeogenesis: i.e.: make glucose from amino acids in skeletal muscle. By blunting cortisol you'll have a greater net protein synthesis. By taking ingesting protein you are taking advantage of the anabolic properties of increased insulin, testosterone, and and GH post-workout. Consuming high glycemic foods is not a good thing normally, but after a workout it is. Go on Amazon and look for the book "Nutrient Timing" by Ivy and Portman.

• 6 months later...

Thank you all for this!

I finished my first whole30 last week and am wanting to reintroduce Arbonne's vegan protein shakes (made with rice, pea and cranberry protein) for post WO (while sticking to whole foods for the rest of the day) for the same reasons Robbster suggested above. 

I will be reintroducing for my postWO tomorrow and see how I feel. :)

Karyna- are you vegan? If you aren't, I don't see why you would want to introduce a grain and legume-based product into your life.

Animal protein is far superior, so, POST whole30 if you can tolerate it (and feel you need it), egg white or grass-fed whey protein are recommended. not grains or legumes. Personally, I now know that a similar vegan protein (VEGA) was the cause of horrible non-stop breakouts for me. Just one of the many reasons I'm glad whole30 made me stop drinking that green smoothie every morning, and start giving my body real nutrition.

Karyna- are you vegan? If you aren't, I don't see why you would want to introduce a grain and legume-based product into your life.

Animal protein is far superior, so, POST whole30 if you can tolerate it (and feel you need it), egg white or grass-fed whey protein are recommended. not grains or legumes. Personally, I now know that a similar vegan protein (VEGA) was the cause of horrible non-stop breakouts for me. Just one of the many reasons I'm glad whole30 made me stop drinking that green smoothie every morning, and start giving my body real nutrition.

Agreed - whey is far better in terms of gaining results when compared to vegan proteins. If you need a powder in the first place...are you doing ridiculous amounts of weight training and trying to grow significant amounts of muscle where you may require a lot of protein to help recovery?

It's not hard to get sufficient protein through your food!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bacon - I am so looking forward to the Farmer's Market opening for the year. We are currently in the process of buying a butchered cow from a local farmer dedicated to grass fed, antibiotic-free cattle. Pigs, they are harder to come by. Hey, if anyone has a lead on chicken in the Seattle area, really anywhere in Washington state (not DC, the real WA) I would appreciate it!

Robbster-  I have been going without my whey protein during my Whole 30 and I notice a difference in recovery, especially the day after leg day.

• 11 months later...

Does anyone know if the Philosophie Green Dream Superfood powder is approved (http://www.thephilosophie.com/collections/superfood-blends/products/green-dream-8oz)? I used to use it when making green smoothies for breakfast. I'm about to start the Whole30, so I won't be making smoothies for awhile, but wanted to know if this would be approved for in the future.

If it's post-W30 then it's up to you.

I threw all of my protein powder away and I'm never going back to denatured proteins.  They've been testing name brand vities and have found that there's more vitamins in the plastic bottle than the actual vitamins.  Who's to say that pro-pos are what they're cracked up to be either.  Only the shadow knows.  DYRShadow.gif

• 2 weeks later...

You also need some high glycemic carbs (1:1 to 1:2 ratio PRO:CHO)

So true. But to be clear, the ratio depends on the the type of workout and the desired recovery response. Long distance endurance athletes, especially if already trim, often do best on 1:3 or even 1:4 protein:carb. Straight weightlifting usually requires a lower carb ratio.

If using protein powders with whey, be sure it's whey protein isolate, not whey protein concentrate.

Glad I read this.  I have Primal Fuel that I got from the MDA site.  I love it and keep some at work for days that my schedule is just crazy and I want to avoid the lunch truck and vending machines.

I kept it here just in case during the Whole 30.  Glad I did not use it yet!

I'm not sure about doing Whole30 as-is. I have stomach issues with almost all food, so I'm working out my own thing. I think that Phood is a good one - it agrees with me most of the time, and I will continue to use that until I can, hopefully, digest other things.

Archived