Protein Powder??

rezzager

• Administrators

I'm not sure about doing Whole30 as-is. I have stomach issues with almost all food, so I'm working out my own thing. I think that Phood is a good one - it agrees with me most of the time, and I will continue to use that until I can, hopefully, digest other things.

This would not be a Whole30 compliant item due to the ingredient listing which includes quinoa, pea protein among other things.

If you're "working out your own thing" that's fine and you are welcome to do as you please but it would not be a Whole30.

If you would like us to try and help you through any food or digestive issues if you choose to commit to the actual program, let us know.

• 2 weeks later...

The key is to get the protein like meat, fish or eggs within 30 minutes after your workout. That meal is a post workout meal and should not take the place of your breakfast or lunch or dinner. It's a bonus meal. I personally don't add carbs to the post witkout meal bc I'm looking to lose weight and don't need the extra energy. If you are lean u can also add a vege as well

• 2 weeks later...
hello,

I want to start with w30 but I go workout 4-5 times at week and I want have muscles. I stopped taking a protein powder because it wasn't good for my face (i have acne) After that my muscles fell down and I have a lot of % of fat :( .. I'm confused. Can w30 replace the protein powder?

Can protein powders replace real proteins?   They're made of denatured proteins created and engineered in a lab.  The best proteins for real muscles come from the the farm and ranch, ocean and rivers.   Muscles from protein powders  deflate like tires when you run out of the powder - similar to running over a nail....swooooooshhh.

Foods to eat – Whole30

• Protein
    • Seafood (fish, mollusks (squid, octopus, scallops, clams, mussels, oysters), crustaceans (crab, shrimp, prawn, lobster, crayfish)): Best: wild caught + sustainably fished. Better: wild caught and/or sustainable. Good: farm-raised
    • Poultry (chicken, turkey, duck, pheasant, etc.): Best: pastured + organic. Better: organic. Good: store-bought, skin removed
    • Ruminants (beef, buffalo, lamb, elk, venison, etc.): Best: 100% grass-fed + organic. Better: grass fed and/or organic. Good: lean, fat trimmed/drained
    • Non-ruminants (pork, wild boar, rabbit, etc.): Best: pastured + organic. Better: organic. Good: lean, fat trimmed/drained
    • Organ meats: liver, tongue, kidney, heart, sweetbreads etc.
    • Bones: marrow, bone broth
    • Eggs: Best: pastured + organic. Better: organic (omega-3 enriched optional). Good: store-bought. You can eat them every day – the number of eggs you can hold in one hand
    • Processed meats (bacon, sausage, deli meat, etc.): Best: 100% grass-fed + organic. Better: organic
    • Look for terms like grass-finished or grass-fed, pastured, certified organic, hormone- and antibiotic-free, and wild-caught
    • Vary your animal protein sources
    • Meal planning: Create each meal around your protein source. Each meal should include 1-2 palm-sized servings of protein – closer to 1 serving if you’re big and/or inactive, closer to 2 servings if you’re small and/or active. As often as possible, choose high-quality meat, seafood, and eggs.

hello,
I want to start with w30 but I go workout 4-5 times at week and I want have muscles. I stopped taking a protein powder because it wasn't good for my face (i have acne) After that my muscles fell down and I have a lot of % of fat :( .. I'm confused. Can w30 replace the protein powder?

The recommendation for pre and post workout fuel on a Whole30 is in the recommended meal template.

Pre workout: protein and fat.

Post workout: protein and carb.

Protein powders are discouraged on a Whole30. Details in the Whole30 Can I Have Guide:

"Protein Shakes: Almost Always No Almost all protein powders (like whey, casein, soy, or pea) contain off-limit ingredients. Besides, anything you can get from protein powder (except maybe chemical extractives, added sweeteners and strange-sounding isolates) you can get from whole foods during your Whole30. In addition, formulated and processed meal-replacement shakes like Shakeology or Visalus are always off-limits. These products don’t even come close to our definition of real, whole food—and they’re packed with off-plan ingredients like pea protein and stevia.However, protein powder from approved ingredients like crickets (in Chapul bars) or 100% egg white are allowed on the Whole30, provided they contain no sweeteners. As always, though, liquid food is still not encouraged. Got it?Tip: We want you to spend a month learning to appreciate real food, how it tastes, the work it takes to prepare, and how it works in your body. You can have your shaker cup back in 30 days; for now, focus on starchy veggies and lean protein after a workout. Hard-boiled eggs, compliant deli meat, smoked salmon, or tuna are easy, portable protein sources to take with you to the gym."

The very first one I looked at on the page contains milk, soybeans, and peanuts so that's out. I imagine the rest aren't any different.

Protein shakes, as it's been said many times in this thread (& in the post directly above your own), are almost always not allowed on whole30. You should be more than capable of getting your required protein from the abundance of nutritious foods that you'll be eating at each meal, and in your pre (protein & fat) & post work-out (protein & carbs) meals.

There are LOTS of far more optimal ACTUAL food choices.

• 2 weeks later...

What brand of protein do you use? I powerlift and making gains (or, gainz brah) is difficult, though not impossible as Renee has reminded me. I'm taking this 30 days (and maybe more) off from supplementation obviously, but once I start to allow supps again, I'm looking for something quality. Progenex? True Nutrition? Thanks!

(When I'm not Whole30ing...) I found a protein powder at Sprouts called Paleo Pro. It has Stevia, which I don't love, but other than that it's egg white protein and beef protein. Doesn't mix too well in a shaker, but works great in a Magic Bullet. I like that it's totally dairy free (no casien or whey or anything like that) and no weird chemicals. It's still not whole food, but it's a lot better than the supplements I took back in the day!

• 1 month later...

Can't we use liquid egg whites? Wouldn't that be a suitable "fast" source of post workout protein? I asked in another forum today and the moderator said that cartoned egg whites are approved. I think a great post workout meal would be something like a scrambled eggwhite/sweet potato/red pepper hash if one is concerned with getting protein in their body in a faster way instead of chewing and trying to digest meat  :D What do you think…anyone?

Can't we use liquid egg whites? Wouldn't that be a suitable "fast" source of post workout protein? I asked in another forum today and the moderator said that cartoned egg whites are approved. I think a great post workout meal would be something like a scrambled eggwhite/sweet potato/red pepper hash if one is concerned with getting protein in their body in a faster way instead of chewing and trying to digest meat  :D What do you think…anyone?

That would be fine. This is one instance where egg white trumps the whole egg in Whole30Land.

Let me start by saying that during my W30 I decided, and my body told me, I need fish.  So I am unvegetarianizing!  Sidebar- very pleased to have a local fisher who sells his fish a la carte or by CSA shares!!! I think fish is the only real meat I am ready for, for both ethical and squeamish habits.

Given that I came to my W30 with both of the goals to maintain or gain weight and also solve the mysterious bone deterioration I have kicking, several people recommended collagen protein powder, http://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Collagen-Hydrolysate-16-Ounce/dp/B005KG7EDU. If I am having a liquid mini-meal is that ok?  If not should I just drink it in my water?  Are there other delicious ways to consume protein powder beyond a smoothie?

Thanks! 

• Administrators

Let me start by saying that during my W30 I decided, and my body told me, I need fish.  So I am unvegetarianizing!  Sidebar- very pleased to have a local fisher who sells his fish a la carte or by CSA shares!!! I think fish is the only real meat I am ready for, for both ethical and squeamish habits.

Given that I came to my W30 with both of the goals to maintain or gain weight and also solve the mysterious bone deterioration I have kicking, several people recommended collagen protein powder, http://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Collagen-Hydrolysate-16-Ounce/dp/B005KG7EDU. If I am having a liquid mini-meal is that ok?  If not should I just drink it in my water?  Are there other delicious ways to consume protein powder beyond a smoothie?

Thanks!

The hydrolyzed collagen isn't really a protein like you're thinking of but it it is an amazing supplement to add to your intake. I take it every morning, I just put it into my coffee. Since it's hydrolyzed collagen, it will never gel.

• 1 year later...

In case anyone is curious, PaleoPro makes a PLAIN NAKED protein powder that is literally made out of: grass-fed lean beef protein and egg protein (26 g of protein/serving).

I like this when I'm not Whole30-ing and just doing my paleo thing... most mornings I just want a protein smoothie, for example:

Paleo Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie:
1 frozen banana, two large handfuls of spinach, 1/4 cup of pumpkin, 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 scoop Naked PaleoPro, 1 tbsp of unsweetened almond butter, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 2 medjool dates, 1/2 cup cold brewed coffee, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk

Paleo Chunky Monkey Protein Smoothie:
1 frozen banana, two large handfuls of spinach, 1 tbsp unsweetened cacao powder, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 scoop Naked PaleoPro, 1 tbsp unsweetened almond butter, 1/2 cup cold brewed coffee, 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk 

This isn't part of my Whole30 because
1) smoothies aren't digested/recognized the same in our bodies like real food
2) adding dates to things to sweeten things can get PRETTY SWYPO

My personal opinion is if you NEED a protein powder, then you're not putting in the effort required. I lift probably 4 times a week, and I have a meal ready in my bag to have after. You do not need a shake to grow. Sorry, you just need to put more effort into planning your day. A meal post workout will ALWAYS be superior to a shake. ALWAYS!

Archived