3rd whole 30 and STILL not losing weight - what am I doing wrong?

LA28

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am on Day 21 and am struggling to get into my fat jeans... good things are changing in my arthritis and pain levels, but not so good changes in my body composition. How does one go about getting a personal consultation??

I am right there with you. I am absolutely gaining despite being 100% compliant and exercising. And I just feel yucky. I wish I could say that my aches and pains are better but they are actually worse and my tremors are back :( aside from a brief improvement in my mood/energy, sleep is the only area that is truly better. Wondering maybe this just not what y particular body likes . . .

My skin is still much better, some short flare ups, my sleep is better, mostly all the time, still some aches but again better, but I am particularly liking the energy I have for exercise and the enjoyment I get from it... Day off work yesterday, 6am Pilates... 80 minute bike ride just for fun, then banged out 1500m at the pool while kids were swimming, again just for fun... Been months since I have ridden or swam so interesting to see how easy it was..... So keep working at it... As long as something is better at each stage you can believe your body/mind is progressing

I am right there with you. I am absolutely gaining despite being 100% compliant and exercising. And I just feel yucky. I wish I could say that my aches and pains are better but they are actually worse and my tremors are back :( aside from a brief improvement in my mood/energy, sleep is the only area that is truly better. Wondering maybe this just not what y particular body likes . . .

Jtota, do you have a dedicated log? I saw you posting in the 1/1 start group, but was hoping you had your own so I could take a look at it.

You mentioned that you may go back through it on the veggie protocol. Were you strict veggie up until you started?

Jtota, do you have a dedicated log? I saw you posting in the 1/1 start group, but was hoping you had your own so I could take a look at it.

You mentioned that you may go back through it on the veggie protocol. Were you strict veggie up until you started?

Yes I have a log, here's the link http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/5404-my-whole-30-food-log-1113-former-vegan/page__fromsearch__1

I have not kept it up very well, it's hard to keep up with more than one forum. I typically eat 3 eggs and some other protein at breakfast (loving side pork right now, and homemade chicken sausage).Eggs are the bulk of breakfast though with the other stuff as a "garnish". Sometimes I'll mix in spinach or some chopped apple. Lunch is usually whatever is left over from dinner with kale chips, fruit, or squash/ sweet potato. I usually workout around 11am if I'm home so I have my starchiest veg or fruit at lunch. Dinner is always something from well fed or nom nom paleo. I have been trying to make new recipes as much as possible. Not a lot of salads though, I have never really liked salad. I usually have roasted veggies or sauteed broccoli, zucchini, roasted carrots etc. My go to meal if I want something I know I'll love is flank steak fajitas with peppers, avocado and onions, wrapped in large spinach leaves. Anyway, I feel better in every way except for the fat loss. Which confuses me. How can someone stick to the plan and workout faithfully, get adequate rest, and still gain fat? They only thing I can think of is adrenal issues. My job is very stressful but, for example, I just worked 3 - 12's in a row, no time for exercise and I think I may have lost some. I haven't weighed cause I'm trying not to. But i feel like something is different. It's almost like the exercise (P90X) makes me swell up or something. I don't know, sorry to ramble about that.

And yes, I was pretty much completely vegan before starting this. I had meat on very rare occassions when we were out for a celebration and vegan food was not available But I was full in - smoothies, juicing, tempeh, lots of beans, small amounts of tofu, vegan protien powder, but I tried to stay away from processed boxed food even then. Lots of quinoa and oatmeal. Even then I had trouble with weight (belly mostly) but I felt light and if I was running a lot the weight would just drop off. I am not running b/c it's so cold and I wanted to recover some very tired muscles and joints in my ankles and feet. I was eating vegan for the "health benefits" then it turned into something more - those dang documentaries will get ya. But in December we went to mexico and the whole vegan thing went of the rails. So I decided it was the perfect time to try this and see how I feel. I know we are not supposed to track calories but I have done so just to make sure I eating enough. I have had issues with eating way to little (under 1000 calories/day) and then working out like crazy. On the whole30 i have averages 1200-1500 each day, sometimes even more. I am only 5'1.

Sorry this turned into a long post but I hope that helps you understand what I've been up to. Love to hear your thoughts.

So I think I addressed something similar to your situation earlier in this thread, and a little bit better in somebody else's troubleshooting post recently, here: (http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/6536-looking-for-some-help-with-stress-life-and-health-related/)

I think that you're right on track with sniffing out adrenal issues. Given that you have a stressful job, work 12 hour shifts, and are doing p90x, plus running, it doesn't surprise me that you're holding onto belly fat, even in your vegan days. Did you mean that you feel like you've lost fat over the last three days, when you hadn't had an opprotunity to work out? That doesn't surprise me either, and reinforces what I've said above and in the other thread.

You have the added consideration of being a vegan immediately before starting this program. Not that that's a bad thing, just that depending on how long you'd been doing it, our bodies DO downregulate the production of enzymes needed to digest meat and stuff if we haven't eaten it for a long time. If you're bloating or anything like that...this could be a factor...it'll resolve, but it'll just take time.

Why don't you try cutting back on your activity level a bit for the rest of your 30 days, do some meditation/yoga instead, get some good sleep, focus on the meal templating guidelines: (i.e. stop counting calories :) btw, i think you're underestimating your calories...one of the big reasons we DON'T WANT YOU COUNTING! ) See if that helps?

Aside from genetics and age, many of the top Crossfitters are dedicated athletes, or students. They don't have added stressors of another job. Our bodies can handle only a couple of sources of stress before going off the rails.

These athletes eat like a horse, sleep like a log, and have everything else dialed in.

I'm also going to add that most of CF's top performers live on a cocktail of franken-fuels via Progenex and other companies. The amount of real nutrition that enters their bodies can be minimal.

I'm also going to add that most of CF's top performers live on a cocktail of franken-fuels via Progenex and other companies. The amount of real nutrition that enters their bodies can be minimal.

I don't know if that helps my case or hurts it, Robin ;)

I don't know if that helps my case or hurts it, Robin ;)

True. The point I'm making is that the reality of a lifestyle like that for a non-sponsored athlete is non-existent. For those other athletes, it's a limited time offer and they're hurting their bodies more than helping them. It's like M&D have been known to say: If you're going to sacrifice health for performance, you damn well better be getting paid. For the concerned poster, the question has to be: do you want to sacrifice health for physique and performance. Chances are, since they're here, the answer is no. (Please, please, please let it be no).

True. The point I'm making is that the reality of a lifestyle like that for a non-sponsored athlete is non-existent. For those other athletes, it's a limited time offer and they're hurting their bodies more than helping them. It's like M&D have been known to say: If you're going to sacrifice health for performance, you damn well better be getting paid. For the concerned poster, the question has to be: do you want to sacrifice health for physique and performance. Chances are, since they're here, the answer is no. (Please, please, please let it be no).

Haha. Well said. I think it's easy for people to a) forget what their goals really are, 2) not consider how or why the goals of a professional athlete differ.

oh and c) what that means for their own execution.

Renee Lee,

Thanks for your insight. I don't think I have lost fat over three days but puffiness/water. I am in the recovery week of the P90X program so yoga was scheduled all week long. However, I have so much energy right now that slowing down to yoga has been difficult. :)

Side note: I'm not really enjoying P90X but we are/were trying to train for the tough mudder. I'd gladly give it up for ashtanga all the time but there's this competitive side of me that wants to press on. And my husbands finally working out and I want to encourage him by doing this together. I suppose at some point our goals are completely different. I also get side tracked when I consider just doing yoga and then everyone is saying - you have to lift heavy things to be fit. It's confusing- take it easy, lift heavy, crossfit - such conflicting messages :wacko:

I totally get the "no calorie counting thing" but my husband was concerned that I am not eating enough so I've been plugging my portions etc into sparkpeople basically to prove to him that I am in the appropriate range. I am also confused by the whole "eat more to lose fat" concept. It goes against everything I have been taught and quite frankly it terrifies me. I am ready to stop counting but I am eating food that I'm not used to just eye-balling and have been unsure how much is just right and how much is too much. I like to eat and right now I feel like I could a horse at every meal. When you say I'm under estimating do you mean the calories I'm eating or the goal of 1200-1500/day. (I know this implies more counting but I'm curious). Also, I have always wondered this - I have bad scoliosis and have always been told that if my spine were straight I'd actually be about 5'4. I've always based my BMR on 5'1 b/c that's how I measure but perhaps I shouldn't be?

Like I said, my energy level is finally amazing, my brain fog is gone, I am sleeping like a baby and no longer need my am coffee, daily 3:00 cookie craving is gone, hair has grown about an inch :) , and I am weirdly happy. My husband even said "you just seem happy". So things are better I just want that added benefit of looking, well, as good as I feel.

Haha. Well said. I think it's easy for people to a) forget what their goals really are, 2) not consider how or why the goals of a professional athlete differ.

oh and c) what that means for their own execution.

Hmmm . . . this is interesting. It puts a new perspective on my old 4 mile a day runs, followed by strength training. I don't do this anymore but something to remember in the future.

One thing to keep in mind with yoga is that your body is a heavy thing, so if you're doing lots of balancing poses or inversions, you are lifting a heavy thing. It's part of why yoga shows up in clinical trials as effective for fighting osteoperosis -- it's a weight bearing exercise.

Archived