Why does this feel like Atkins???

Hey there,

Okay....so. I KNOW that Whole30 is extremely different from Atkins. However, I would love for someone ( a moderator, preferably) to spell this out. I'm avoiding eating too many starchy carbs on whole30/paleo in general unless I've done a pretty intense workout in the am...then I'll eat 1/3 or 1/2 for recovery sometimes.

Could someone explain the scientific differences in the theories behind atkins/paleo, why and HOW paleo is more beneficial for long-term/my body?

I only say this because the first 3 days of my whole30 have felt very similar to the induction phase of Atkins (headaches, fatigue, irritability, lots of peeing)...but the thing is I am NOT a big sugar consumer in the first place, so I'm a little confused (typically, sugar for me would come from greek yogurt, fruits...I also used artificial sweeteners before whole30 and had occasional oatmeal - carb withdrawl may be where headaches are coming from....)

I am sure a moderator can give you the best answer, but I will contribute my 2 cents. Nothing about the Whole30 says you have to eat low carb. Many people find improved mood and other benefits while eating sweet potatoes and squashes on a daily basis.

With that being said, if you ate more carbs prior to Whole30, even if you weren't high sugar, it is very reasonable to see those symptoms you described while your body dumps glycogen now that you seemed to have gone pretty low carb.

I see huge differences between the Whole30 and Atkins. The basis for Whole30 has plenty of science behind it ( read ISWF) and has a completely different purpose than Atkins. Whole30 is about health and eating a diet that allows your body to function optimally. Atkins is about weight loss.

Andria's really got it. Have you read ISWF?

Atkins' science is based on the benefits of ketosis for weight loss. Whole9 is based on way more than that, and DOES NOT encourage ketosis.

Atkins really only cares about macronutrient intake, regardless of source and is low carbohydrate. It doesn't restrict any food group long term, as long as you meet X amt of carbs/day. low carb breads and super processed food choices like that are A-okay with Atkins

Whole30 just wants you to eat real food that supports a healthy hormonal response, a healthy psychological response, is anti inflammatory, and promotes healthy gut function. Doesn't care about macros, doesn't care about how many carbs you eat, as long you eat them from quality sources. QUALITY matters on the Whole30, not quantity.

Additionally, Whole30 tries to change your life by addressing your relationship with food, not just the number on the scale.

Archived