Things to Keep on Hand...

Renee McCarty

Day 9: I have been so busy this week that I ran out of leftovers and bagged salad and cooked sweet potatoes and had a disastrous lunch today! So stressful trying to figure out what to make in a short amount of time, and ended up getting in an argument with my hubby to top it all off! What are some things I can keep on hand, that won't spoil quickly, yet are compliant and quick for times like this?? Any suggestions? I keep hard boiled eggs, canned and frozen veggies, and fruit all the time, but I was lacking protein since we had eggs for breakfast... Thanks!

Cans of tunafish in water or olive oil are a great stand-by. sometimes, even if a little more $, I buy the packets of Tuna which are easy and light to carry in a purse, stick in your glove compartment, etc. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/StarKist-Chunk-Light-2-6000-Ounce-Pouches/dp/B00374QXAC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357858502&sr=8-2&keywords=tuna+packets. Canned kippers are also a good quick protein.

Other things I carry around which help me in my travels - Coconut flakes, seaweed sheets, "to go squeezable" packets of unsweetened applesauce.

I am on Day 9 too. I think these are more challenging days than the first few, now that the Whole30 groove starts to effect more than just the microscopic place we begin. This too shall pass. Keep up the good work! Hope this helps.

Great tips. Thanks! I've been trying to pre-cut veggies when I have free time so I can just go to the fridge and grab them. That, and nuts. I just got hungry at work and had some pistachios I stashed in my desk.

You could also try canned/packets of chicken or salmon. Does compliant pre-cooked frozen chicken or other meat exist?

Another thing you could stash at work or in the car is canned olives. My Albertson's has had the 3.25 ounce cans of Essential Everyday olives on sale this week. They have pop-top lids.

Thanks for the ideas, we did end up having canned herrings (thank heavens I had cleaned out the camper not long ago!) I never thought to look for olives with pop top lids! I am trying to stay away from nuts unless I'm really in a pinch, it's just too easy to eat too many. But I love the idea of the tuna/salmon in packets. I wonder if chicken comes that way? I have not been able to find any precooked chicken without added sugar... seems we have to have sugar added to everything!

Cans of tunafish in water or olive oil are a great stand-by. sometimes, even if a little more $, I buy the packets of Tuna which are easy and light to carry in a purse, stick in your glove compartment, etc. Like this: http://www.amazon.co...ds=tuna+packets. Canned kippers are also a good quick protein.

Other things I carry around which help me in my travels - Coconut flakes, seaweed sheets, "to go squeezable" packets of unsweetened applesauce.

I am on Day 9 too. I think these are more challenging days than the first few, now that the Whole30 groove starts to effect more than just the microscopic place we begin. This too shall pass. Keep up the good work! Hope this helps.

Day 9 for me too! I love the idea of the tuna pouches - I used to keep a bunch of them in my desk drawer for emergencies. Were you able to find ones without soy? I packed all of mine up because I think the ones I had all did :( I would love to find some that I could use in a pinch though!!

I keep hard boiled eggs, canned and frozen veggies, and fruit all the time, but I was lacking protein since we had eggs for breakfast... Thanks!

You could still have eggs for lunch. Yes, we should vary our protiens but a repeat in an emergency isn't going to be that big a deal within the context of the whole month.

I've also been grilling/sauteing extra chicken when I'm cooking something easy for dinner. That way I have extra chicken on hand to cut up and throw into salads for lunch, which is what we do about 75% of our lunches.

Likewise my Costco doesn't carry Wild Planet. But amazon does. I am on the "subscribe and save" program with Wild Planet Tuna there.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EY5TTW/ref=rcxsubs_mys2_product_title

I've heard on other forums that some Costco stores carry it. I check my Costco's tuna aisle on a regular basis to see if it's there!

I had a Primal Pac and a piece of fruit for lunch last week when I found myself stuck away from home for much longer than expected. It wasn't a full meals worth and it wasn't ideal, but it got me through the day.

I personally keep a container of precooked GF ground beef in the fridge. In a pinch I row a few handfuls of bagged kale in the pan, add some cooked ground beef and I'm golden. Takes minutes tops. But I love love love kale so it satisfies me whenever. In fact I just ate a big plate of kale with leftover chopped grilled hamburger lol. Other times in a hurry I do the same thing but throw in cumin and chili powder, an egg and put salsa on top. Kale only take minutes to cook and if your meat is cooked it is a snap,

In the car I have sardines, a pouch of cashew butter, cashews, and a bag of large coconut chips. I ate my sea snacks and need to repurchase those for the car.

I make a package of turkey meat every week with my homemade taco seasoning. I always have salsa on hand and avocado. I buy lettuce once a week and wash and spin it so it's ready to go. It's a great quick salad. Oh and I do buy the sweet little cherub tomatoes since I don't have to cut them up Expensive, but a time-saver.

We have a vacuum sealer. We boil and shred 5-10 pounds of chicken and then vacuum seal it in 'palm sized' packets. We leave some in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. Even frozen, you can grab one and toss it in the microwave with some frozen mixed veggies, add some ghee or coconut oil and presto! Not cheap, but we have found the vacuum sealer invaluable.

Archived