Hypoglycemia

I have reactive hypoglycemia and am on day 8 of the whole 30. I was excited to have read that people's blood sugar levels stablizied on this diet. How long did that take? I have been feeling really lousy the past few days due to low blood sugar. It seems I have to eat a lot and often to keep it in the good range. I've been trying sweet potatoes, fruit and cashews to help, but I'm not always successful. Could this be because I'm still going through detox? Will this get better? Any other tips on what to eat? Thanks

Yesterday, I had 2 scrambled eggs with red pepper, scallions and ham. I had an orange and some cashews about 1.5 hours later. Lunch was salad with chicken, carrots, scallions, red pepper, roasted almonds, and cumcumbers - balsamic/olive oil dressing. Had another orange for a snack. Dinner was marinated pork (spices and some olive oil), grilled sweet potatoes and grilled asparagus. Day before was similar - just had different meat and veggies for dinner.

ALSO... I resolved not to feed any low blood sugar with just fruit. Have you tried planning a snack but having say... A deviled egg with green beans? Or something more like that? Just feeding your body sugar in between meals will continue to cause some problems. Set yourself up a bunch of high protein easy to grab snacks and PLAN on having them when you know your blood sugar gets low. That should keep you from dipping too low. Once that works for a while, drop one of the snacks but be SURE those meals are high fat and protein. Your body CAN heal from this!

I too have reactive hypoglycemia. I am currently on day 18 of my second W30. I did the last one over Feb last year but I don't remember the exact dates. I do remember how hard it was though. I had headaches, the sweats, light headed-ness. It was downright awful for a while there, but by the end I felt GREAT! I tried to follow paleo throughout the year but got off track while on vacation in August and then come October, my diet was shot to shit again. Jan 2 my husband and I whole heartedly devoted ourselves to W30 again. I can honestly say that once I got through the first W30, I didn't have sugar issues until late November. December I had a few episodes and I know exactly why. W30 is the ONLY thing I have ever done that has alleviated the hypoglycemia crashes. It is the ONLY thing that I have ever experienced that truly helped me understand the way food has affected my body. I have always known the mechanical reasons why it happens to me. But I never really "got it" until I felt the healing powers of eating the correct way. And to be honest the W30 I did last year was the first time in my life I can honestly say that I felt HUNGRY and not sugar starving. I am sure that is not the correct terminology. Instead of the shakes, I felt hungry but level headed at the same time. It has been an awesome journey for me and I have a long way to go. I'm just glad we have friends who introduced us to paleo and the W30 and support us through it all.

• 2 weeks later...

I had huge success stabilising my blood sugar on Whole30 (I'm insulin resistant). Big learnings for me was to only eat fruit with a meal (including the template amounts of protein and fat), not as a snack. I was able to have fruit I've not been able to before (and keep blood sugar even), such as pineapple and banana. Freezing them also slows me down in eating them too.

• 3 months later...

Just reading these posts now and find them very helpful ... I am on Day 14 and have been dealing with hypoglycemia for many years. I have been doing okay during my W30, but find it helpful to eat one sweet potato a day so there is some starchy veggie in my diet. I have also been increasing my fat and protein intake. I can say that I am generally not hungry inbetween meals, but I was so used to having processed carb snacks pre W30, that this process has been a big adjustment mentally and physically. It's nice to know that there are others out there dealing with similar issues!

• 1 year later...

I am so glad I found this thread. I had a major blood sugar crash in the middle of yoga class yesterday. It was AWFUL--shakes, chills, and lightheadedness and the urge to cry, the whole low-blood-sugar deal. I'd eaten an apple with sunflower butter before class, in hopes this DIDN'T happen.

Normally I eat fruit as 'dessert'--one portion of fruit per meal. I have major sugar dependency so this may be 'too much' fruit for some people, but it's actually kept (day 8) the sugar demon at bay. This was the first time I'd eaten fruit as a 'snack' and I see now that was a mistake.  Thank you all for giving me hope this will pass!  I need to rethink pre-yoga energy sources.  And apparently more protein and fat.  This was SO helpful!

You might be better off with a boiled egg and mayo before class (or other protein + fat), the apple most likely will bring on a crash, even with the sunflower butter (it does for me).

Anyone having trouble having only a tiny bit of starch or fruit, you can add it into a soup if you're trying to get a small amount in, but it's a a weird portion size.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read through this post and found it very helpful.  I'm hoping ya'll can help me a bit too.  I've never officially been diagnosed as hypoglycemic but I think I may have some of the symptoms.  I've always eaten a lot through out the day and I find if I don't I started yawning constantly and feel nauseated.  Then I will eat something and feel fine.  Do I have a form of hypoglycemia?

Thanks for the help!

Kristin

• 2 years later...
On 9/8/2014 at 11:48 AM, k2kre said:

I just read through this post and found it very helpful.  I'm hoping ya'll can help me a bit too.  I've never officially been diagnosed as hypoglycemic but I think I may have some of the symptoms.  I've always eaten a lot through out the day and I find if I don't I started yawning constantly and feel nauseated.  

I have a similar question - I've suspected low blood sugar in the past, but decided not to pursue it with my doctor because I was able to keep it under control by eating tons of fruit and carbs all the time. Now that I'm doing the whole30, my symptoms have gotten WAY worse to the point of me feeling unsafe and I'm wondering if I need to go to the doctor.....

My cousin was recently diagnosed with hypoglycemia but that's the only family history of it that I know of. 

What do you guys think? At what point did you go to the doctor for a diagnosis, and what is the usual course of treatment? Would it be wise to modify my whole30 (eating more fruit and letting myself snack as much as I need to) until I know what's going on?

Also, from what I gather here it seems like the general tips for whole30 with hypoglycemia are:

- More protein and fat with meals and snacks

- Snacking prevents crashes, especially high fat/protein

- Mixed opinions on fruit. Some find it helps (I've found this so far) others say it keeps your sugar levels from eventually stabilizing themselves.

Any other tips?? 

Thanks guys!:)

• 2 months later...

As a woman with Hypoglycemia, I thought I would try the Whole 30 plan. I just read thru this blog. If you suspect you are Hypoglycemic, go see your doctor. You will have to take a glucose test. 

I love fruit, but you have to check to see which fruits are low glycemic. NO dried fruits. My challenge is I get hungry very few hours. I always keep a bag of mixed nuts with dried cranberries with me. I tend to crave cookies and I love bread, which are my enemies! So, trying to stay full and lose weight is a challenge!!  

A good snack is whole wheat bread (Ezekiel or Daily Bread from Traders Joe), with Almond Butter & sliced bananas. Also, sliced apples with Almond Butter.  Google or go to Pintrest for 'low glycemic' food ideas. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I am thinking about doing W30. I am hypoglycemic and my sugars are consistently on the lower side. Medications always spike it. I want to know your opinions. I cant eat a lot of protein because it makes me sick to my stomach. I have done Atkins in the past and lost 60 pounds, and have kept it off but have plateaued at the gym and my trainer suggested a more stringent diet change and suggested W30. I absolutely love cheese and cereal....

Thanks guys!

• Moderators

Whole30 isn't a ton of meat, it's a reasonable amount and you can use fish, seafood and eggs for your protein as well so it doesn't have to be super 'meat' heavy.  One of the great things about the Whole30 is that it helps to balance and level out your hormones and sugars, so you may find relief... the 3 template meals a day with the added fat are going to help keep steady sugars and energy throughout the day, so if you do decide to do it, you're going to be the person who really needs to do it by the book... no larabars, no fruit on its own, limit nuts and dried fruit... sticking to the rules AND recommendations will be key for you, but you can totally do it!  Cheese and cereal aren't going anywhere and they'll be around for you when you're done, but I doubt after you feel super amazing, youre going to want cereal... cheese maybe ;)

4 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Whole30 isn't a ton of meat, it's a reasonable amount and you can use fish, seafood and eggs for your protein as well so it doesn't have to be super 'meat' heavy.  One of the great things about the Whole30 is that it helps to balance and level out your hormones and sugars, so you may find relief... the 3 template meals a day with the added fat are going to help keep steady sugars and energy throughout the day, so if you do decide to do it, you're going to be the person who really needs to do it by the book... no larabars, no fruit on its own, limit nuts and dried fruit... sticking to the rules AND recommendations will be key for you, but you can totally do it!  Cheese and cereal aren't going anywhere and they'll be around for you when you're done, but I doubt after you feel super amazing, youre going to want cereal... cheese maybe ;)

I was reading more about it. I love sweet potatoes and avocados!! I am not really a snack person, so that won't be hard. I love the special K chocolaty delight cereal. I think the hard part will be cheese... I don't eat "real pasta" anymore, but I do make Alfredo sauce. I just bought my normal groceries. Would it be bad if I ate up all my normal groceries before I started? I don't really want the temptation when I start or to waste money. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, topazchickie said:

I was reading more about it. I love sweet potatoes and avocados!! I am not really a snack person, so that won't be hard. I love the special K chocolaty delight cereal. I think the hard part will be cheese... I don't eat "real pasta" anymore, but I do make Alfredo sauce. I just bought my normal groceries. Would it be bad if I ate up all my normal groceries before I started? I don't really want the temptation when I start or to waste money. 

Uh, no, it's not advisable to eat through all the non compliant stuff... basically the amount of suck that you might feel in the first week of 'detox' is going to be directly related to what you ate in the week or so leading up to it... Throw these 'normal' groceries in the freezer or the back of the pantry... or you could pick a date a few weeks in the future and really read through the materials and get a good plan together while you eat your normal groceries.... just don't scarf down all the boxes of cereal in your house in two days and then jump into the Whole30 - you would not enjoy yourself...

31 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Uh, no, it's not advisable to eat through all the non compliant stuff... basically the amount of suck that you might feel in the first week of 'detox' is going to be directly related to what you ate in the week or so leading up to it... Throw these 'normal' groceries in the freezer or the back of the pantry... or you could pick a date a few weeks in the future and really read through the materials and get a good plan together while you eat your normal groceries.... just don't scarf down all the boxes of cereal in your house in two days and then jump into the Whole30 - you would not enjoy yourself...

We buy groceries for 2 weeks at a time. We already buy organic and local so that will be no change.  And my dad is a butcher so you can't get meat any fresher than That! My favorite is deer. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi -- I'm planning on doing W30 in January, but I'm worried about how it's going to play out with my reactive hypoglycemia. I have to eat every 2-2.5 hours to avoid sugar crashes, and I already eat a pretty high proportion of proteins and fats. 

I completely avoid dried fruits (even unsweetened) and the only fresh fruit I don't react to is a moderate serving of watermelon. I react more strongly to an apple than I do to a small piece of dark chocolate (presumably because of the fat in the latter?), and I could never ever have an orange as a snack (much as I miss them). 

Has anyone with this level of sensitivity tried re-introducing small amounts of fruit while on Whole30? Or after? 

My other question/worry is this: I always have glucose tabs with me in case of emergency. I am dangerously cognitively impaired if I have a sugar crash; a glucose tab only has 4 grams of sugar and immediately snaps me out of it. (Think ~2 minutes instead of a minimum of ~15-20 if I have a savory snack.) I was thinking about carrying raisins as a substitute. By my calculation, 10-15 raisins would be about 4 grams of sugar?

Has anyone tried this? If so, does dried fruit work as quickly as glucose? Honestly, I'm afraid to try it out because I know what works, and it's terrifying when I have a sugar crash. 

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, kty said:

Hi -- I'm planning on doing W30 in January, but I'm worried about how it's going to play out with my reactive hypoglycemia. I have to eat every 2-2.5 hours to avoid sugar crashes, and I already eat a pretty high proportion of proteins and fats. 

I completely avoid dried fruits (even unsweetened) and the only fresh fruit I don't react to is a moderate serving of watermelon. I react more strongly to an apple than I do to a small piece of dark chocolate (presumably because of the fat in the latter?), and I could never ever have an orange as a snack (much as I miss them). 

Has anyone with this level of sensitivity tried re-introducing small amounts of fruit while on Whole30? Or after? 

My other question/worry is this: I always have glucose tabs with me in case of emergency. I am dangerously cognitively impaired if I have a sugar crash; a glucose tab only has 4 grams of sugar and immediately snaps me out of it. (Think ~2 minutes instead of a minimum of ~15-20 if I have a savory snack.) I was thinking about carrying raisins as a substitute. By my calculation, 10-15 raisins would be about 4 grams of sugar?

Has anyone tried this? If so, does dried fruit work as quickly as glucose? Honestly, I'm afraid to try it out because I know what works, and it's terrifying when I have a sugar crash. 

You definitely need to speak with your doctor about these concerns.  If a glucose tab is going to save your life or limb and it's the antitdote to your situation, then doctor's orders would trump whole30.  Food would not work as quickly I wouldn't think, however you may find that eating template meals three times a day will regulate your sugar and hormones enough that you don't have crashes.

You also do not need to eat any fruit on the Whole30, many people don't as there is nothing in fruit you cannot get from vegetables.

Archived