Is ghee worth it?

SarrizleP

Alright, I'm very interesting in this ghee business. I haven't been able to find any compliant butter, and I don't even think I would want to make it myself anyway. The nearest whole foods for me is over an hour away. I could wait to go up there for my veggie and fruit grocery trip and get all of that there as well as the ghee but, I have to know, is it worth it? Right now my only options are coconut oil and olive oil and I am feeling like more variety would be nice but.... that's an awfully long drive for some butter.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi. I have both made my own ghee (from Kerrygold butter THE BEST BUTTER IN THE WORLD), and bought some (Purity Farm). They both taste about the same to me. While homemade is a bit less expense to make, for me it is not worth my time. And although i know that ghee still has brain nutrients such as Vitamin K2, it just doesn't taste like butter, so I rarely use it now.

What I do like to use is the pork and beef fat that I strain (double mesh strainer) after making sausage patties and bone broth. We use either in cooking where we were using primarily coconut oil before. Oh, and where I might have used butter on veggies before, I now use olive oil or paleo mayo. (Favorite is roasted veggies using coconut oil - yum.) If you really want to try ghee, you could order it from amazon. I have purchased (from local store) the Purity Farm brand, but if I were to order online, just from the reviews that I've read, I would order the Pure Indian Foods organic ghee. Hope that helps! -diana

I live in the Middle East, where various brands of ghee are easy to get. Of course, they also have something called "vegetable ghee," which I can only assume is similar to Crisco (ack!). While organic ghee is probably here somewhere, we do not have ready access, so I buy QBB Ghee, which is an Australian brand. The only other cooking fats we use are coconut and olive, and for me, it makes all the difference. I like to cook my eggs in ghee, and it's nice for some of the curries I make with meats.

Ghee is definitely worth it. It has a different flavour than olive oil or coconut oil and is best (IMO) for sauteeing veggies and making fried or scrambled eggs. I have a jar I bought for Day 1 (now heading to Day 8), for me and my husband. If we keep using at the current speed, it will last for a while - so even though it was costly and I had to go out of my way to get it, it was worth it.

I would highly recommend stocking up on ghee in your kitchen. Especially since it lasts virtually forever in the pantry. It makes a great replacement for butter in recipes and tastes fantastic. If you don't want to make the drive to get it, I would recommend buying the large jar from Pure Indian Foods. I started by trying the small jar and ended up buying the large jar because I went through it so fast!

So you don't have to refrigerate it?

I would highly recommend stocking up on ghee in your kitchen. Especially since it lasts virtually forever in the pantry. It makes a great replacement for butter in recipes and tastes fantastic. If you don't want to make the drive to get it, I would recommend buying the large jar from Pure Indian Foods. I started by trying the small jar and ended up buying the large jar because I went through it so fast!

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? If so, they sell the Kerrygold butter with which you can make compliant ghee. It's actually very easy to make.

Do they sell unsalted Kerrygold -- or are you making ghee with salted butter? I thought it needed to be unsalted. (My Costco carries Kerrygold but only the salted version).

So you don't have to refrigerate it?

My understanding is, it's good for 6 months on the counter or a year if refrigerated. But that's homemade; maybe commercial ghee lasts longer.

Do they sell unsalted Kerrygold -- or are you making ghee with salted butter? I thought it needed to be unsalted. (My Costco carries Kerrygold but only the salted version).

My understanding is, it's good for 6 months on the counter or a year if refrigerated. But that's homemade; maybe commercial ghee lasts longer.

The Trader Joe's in my area sells unsalted Kerrygold. I use it to make ghee and love it when the cooking temp would be too hot for olive oil and I'm not in the mood for coconut oil.

Terez, they have Kerrygold unsalted butter at Trader Joes. I tried making ghee with the salted from costco and it was awful. As the water evaporates from the butter, the salt intensifies.

Oh ghee is so utterly delicious. I make my own from our farmer's grass fed butter but man it's delicious.

Don't you mean udderly delicious? :P

I love using ghee for eggs, whether it is scrambling, frying or an omelet. I have used it on mashed sweet potatoes and pureed butternut too. I realize the expense with it, but after making my own, I realized that this is one time I will let someone else do the work. That frees up my time for making my own mayo and chicken stock.

Terez, they have Kerrygold unsalted butter at Trader Joes. I tried making ghee with the salted from costco and it was awful. As the water evaporates from the butter, the salt intensifies.

Is the Kerrygold the pastured butter, however? I have been trying to find pastured and unsalted as I would like to try it in my coffee. My coop only has pastured and salted.

Is the Kerrygold the pastured butter, however? I have been trying to find pastured and unsalted as I would like to try it in my coffee. My coop only has pastured and salted.

Kb, it is the Irish butter from pastured cows. It's so good. It makes an awesome bullet proof coffee. :)

Yes, Kerrygold is pastured.

Thanks for the confirmation about staying with unsalted. I was looking for something I could run out and get but Trader Joes is not nearby. I've made a second jar and that will give me enough lead time to source unsalted butter from a local farmer.

I use the oven method for making ghee. Very easy but there is a pot to wash, plus it requires being at home for a couple of hours. But no attention from when it goes in the oven until it comes out.

Can you describe the oven method? I would like to see if making some will cost less than buying it. Cost is prohibitive for buying online, and even from the natural foods store it's pretty pricey stuff. But I'd like to try it!

Can you describe the oven method? I would like to see if making some will cost less than buying it. Cost is prohibitive for buying online, and even from the natural foods store it's pretty pricey stuff. But I'd like to try it!

Amy, if you have a Trader Joes, it costs just under $6 to make 16 oz and I paid $13 for 7.5 oz from Amazon.

Amy, if you have a Trader Joes, it costs just under $6 to make 16 oz and I paid $13 for 7.5 oz from Amazon.

I will be near a Trader Joe's in June, and I think I will pick some of the appropriate butter up when I'm there. Until then, the nearest TJ's is 3000 miles away, so I think I'll try the smallest jar from the local health food store and just find out what all the excitement is about.

I feel I should whisper this but :ph34r: I don't actually like ghee :ph34r: I tried making my own and wasn't impressed. I ordered a jar of organic ghee and found I still don't like the flavour. It's possible that because I've been dairy free for a couple of years that I've just gone off the whole butter thing anyway. I'm using it up in chillis and curry's where the flavour will be masked. I soooo much prefer coconut oil or the fat off my beef bones.

@Susan--How many ounces is your kerrygold from TJ's? Here, in lovely Naples, Florida, I think an 8oz block is like $5.

Wow Sharon. Here in the Portland, Oregon it is $2.99 for 8 oz. I was in San Diego over the holidays and it was the same price.

Archived