Is ghee worth it?

SarrizleP

I tried the oven version to make ghee. I really liked it. No stirring, no babysitting. 90 minutes at 200 degrees f. I may let it go 15 minutes longer to get it to brown a hair more. Fun method. I forget who posted it. Terez? :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@slw600 - the cultured version just tastes tangier and more flavorful. probiotic cultures are allowed to work their magic on the cream before it is churned, but it definitely doesn't get to yogurt territory.

I am really kind of curious about it. I just don't like the idea of tangy in my butter, but I may love it so trying it with my next batch. :)

Ghee will be cheapest at an ethnic retailer where it's a staple (Indian, Middle Eastern, Fijian, try your luck at whatever you have close by). While it is heat stable, if you live in a really hot location, I recommend keeping it inside a cool cupboard and popping it in the fridge during a heat wave. You'll know if it turns, it'll smell really stinky.

Amy - You may not find a local source of ghee cheap, given your location (shipping), but if there's one to be found, try and find an Indian restaurant, they might even sell you a bucket. I buy my favourite chilli sauce directly from a Chinese restaurant, as they can get it in a litre container, so it's much cheaper.

I used to buy ghee until I made it....making it is a lot cheaper (at least from what I've priced out!), and it makes your house smell delicious, and tastes fresher. It's not very complicated to make, I found a recipe on youtube. Once you make it, you'll never want to buy it again!

Ghee will be cheapest at an ethnic retailer where it's a staple (Indian, Middle Eastern, Fijian, try your luck at whatever you have close by). While it is heat stable, if you live in a really hot location, I recommend keeping it inside a cool cupboard and popping it in the fridge during a heat wave. You'll know if it turns, it'll smell really stinky.

Amy - You may not find a local source of ghee cheap, given your location (shipping), but if there's one to be found, try and find an Indian restaurant, they might even sell you a bucket. I buy my favourite chilli sauce directly from a Chinese restaurant, as they can get it in a litre container, so it's much cheaper.

I think I'm going to try a small jar from the local health food store just to get a sense of what it is, and then see about making my own.

Please report back :)

I will!! I discovered that I loved refined coconut oil (not even a little bit of a fan of the unrefined) and I love olive oil, and I always loved butter, so I expect ghee is going to make it onto my "keep" list.

Archived