Upset and need support

Nadia B

Hi all, just need to whine as I am very upset. I am on day 14 and not a single day went without issues (crazy nausea, bloating, gas, upset stomach/constipation, heartburn, abdominal pains, trouble sleeping, scales/calorie counting withdrawals = feeling of gaining weight, cramps, itchy skin and low energy).

I am 5'5, 121. I eat 3 meals a day and take digestive enzymes. I walk at least 1 hour every day + weight training twice a week + ballet classes once a week. I don't have troubles with planning meals (though I am being slightly paranoid that I am eating too much fat), cooking or limiting snacks. I don't experience regular cravings for sugar or any other stuff I've given up either. I do not have any health issues or conditions (not so sure about this one anymore, but my recent blood test is ok).

I try to be positive, patient and just follow the guidelines. I try to convince myself that I just have to trust the process. Unfortunately I can't help but wondering how come that the magic isn't happening at all. I guess it all has just piled up and I feel terrible. Terrible.

Hi Cicatella, I hear you! I'm in the same place as I am on day 14 and am feeling like there is something missing. I've just come onto the forum to get some inspiration and motivation - I'm not at risk of giving up but I am having those 'why am I doing this?' days! I spent the weekend stressing about my digestive system - same issues as you and I also take the digestive enzymes. Right now I think I felt a whole lot healthier just being paleo. BUT! We are doing this for all the good stuff.

It would be good if we could support each other. :)

On the bright side we are almost at the halfway mark and from what I have read, the final few weeks are when the changes take place.Maybe we need an experienced moderator to give us some love and encouragement?!

What you guys are feeling is typical and totally normal. I think some people forget the amount of healing that is occuring during this 30 days. That is HUGE and not something to be dismissed. Even if you weren't eating "too bad" before, the level of inflammation you may have had could've been worse than you thought, and therefore, it will take some time before you feel the magic. Many people think that just because they weren't riddled with disease they must not have any inflammation or cell/tissue damage or gut permeability, and this is not true. The issues you've having are common and normal, and they will pass, but only if you trust the process and relax. Stress is a huge factor that gets dismissed as well. Keep following the program and believe that what you are doing is THE BEST thing you can do for your body. In time, when it's been healed, you'll feel amazing and will wonder why you didn't do this long ago. In the meantime, take good care of yourself as you have been and read the success stories on the forum. Then you'll be able to see that this DOES work and it's all worth it! Best of luck to you!

• Moderators

I did my first Whole30 long before there was a forum, a Whole30 Daily email, or a timeline to tell me what I might experience at any particular time. Sometimes I think all the information hurts more than it helps because you have heard of other people feeling good while you still feel bad. I did not know what to expect during my Whole30 and figured the results might take months to develop anyway.

I felt kind of sick until about 2 weeks had gone by and then I started to feel good. Some people feel good sooner and some people take 30 days before things improve.

It is great to start feeling really good. I hope it comes for you sooner rather than later.

@PaleoPuds, thanks for your post - I feel less miserable for sure! Support we have here on the forum is incredible. Btw, hooray for making it halfway. Quitting is not an option, you are right. I think what really messed it up for us (for me 100%) is having different expectations. I was expecting having hard times, but it's nothing like I've imagined. Old story, old story.

@ladyhoward, thank you too! Sometimes all you need is to hear - it's alright. Having all this issues gives exactly the opposite impression - I am not doing any good for my body if it responds in such a crazy way. Also, you made a great point about the stress. I should focus on finding my zen.

You sound just like me. As I'm reading your posts I'm thinking, yup itching, bloat, stomach cramps, constipation, scale withdraw etc etc. You are also a dancer from Toronto *waves.* I just posted about how long it takes to become fat adapted because I feel like right now my body is greedy for fat and it's just clinging to me everywhere!

I'm not going to give up and I suspect you won't either. I'll send you some good vibes for feeling better very soon!

Tom, thank you for your attention to my complaints. You nailed it about the excess of the information. In my post I called it expectations, but I think we are talking about same thing here basically.

I'll try my best to cheer up and be patient. Good things to come hopefully.

Look at us, one big (bloated haha) crowd. You can tell I've cheered up, right? Thank you all.

Kaleena, yay for dancing in T. Though I have to admit that ballet classes became much much harder - try to plie when you feel like a fish tank :)

Suzy, I eat all sorts of veggies, I love them all. I eat tons of greens - spinach, lettuce, chard and kale. I absolutely love Brussel Sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower (I think they are a no-no for now, limiting them). I also eat yams, celery, carrots, eggplants, squash, pumpkin, parsnips, turnips and zuccini. My must have everyday veggies would be cucumbers, tomatoes and bell peppers.

Haha maybe we are just the foundational members of the whole30 constipation club ;)

It's really good to share some of the worries and not-so-good bits in the way that we are doing - the forum is fantastic but I agree it piles on a whole lot of pressure when people are extolling how amazing they are feeling - when I spent the weekend running to the store to buy prune juice desperate to ease the pain and feel less like a barrel!

Anyway, yyyyaaaayyy to us for day 15 and half-way. I'm sure we are going to get the good stuff really soon - I just think in my case maybe I'm a bit behind as for me yesterday was definitely a 'kill all the things' day which I think I should have had about 10 days ago.

Cicatella, I am on the same page as you - and I thought I was pretty good diet-wise *before* too - I was paleo and thought that just cutting out the treats and alcohol would be a breeze, especially compared to some folks who have come straight off SAD eating.

Here's hoping you're doing some fabulous plies this afternoon! :) :) :) xxx

Hellooooo! Yes things are ok now thanks, have cut out eggs completely and suddenly everything hurts a lot less! ;)

How are you doing, has your week improved? What about those plies? :) We are nearly at weekend number three!! Then there's only one left....... phew, hopefully we will look and feel amazing. I'm still waiting - feeling ok but I've not had a magical transformation from a caterpillar to a butterfly hahahaha! I think I might be over expecting from this eating lark!

xxxxx

Archived