too many veggies?

zm12

Before I started my Whole30 I already loved vegetables, but now since I'm not eating other things I'm eating even more vegetables than I was. I don't eat a ton of starchy vegetables, probably the equivalent of 1 sweet potato a day, because I assume you can over eat on those. However, I eat about 2-3 cups of other veggies (primarily kale, cauliflower, spinach, zucchini, green beans) with each of my three meals. Is this too much??

i think as long as you're also eating protein and fat with the veggies it's ok. i tend to gorge on raw cut up veggies and eat far too many. it's not that they're off plan or anything...but i tend to eat them mindlessly. i'm trying to eat when i'm hungry and with the intention of nourishing my body instead of busying my mind.

Nothing. :)

No, seriously. Depending on your digestion, you could be asking for a bunch of GI distress from them.

Additionally, there is a small concern of too many crucifers (broccoli, Brussels, kale, spinach) can mess with your absorption of iodine and cause some thyroid stuff, but if you eat that stuff cooked, and you're feeling good, don't worry about it!

You'll get a natural push-back from your body if you consume excess vegetable fibre, but I think you'll be okay :)

If you get blocked up, just switch to the softer ones like cauliflower and zucchini, with a higher water content.

Make sure you're getting enough protein and fat too.

May I just say that it is just baffling to hear people ask if there is enough fat in the meal!!! It goes against everything we have been taught for years. And yet I feel so great on this plan! I can't imagine going back to the way I was eating before! And II, myself, am wondering if I consume too many vegetables. There were probably days (before this first Whole30) when I didn't eat a vegetable all day long. So funny!

Archived