Compliant Pre-Natals?

I wasn't sure if this would get more responses here or in supplimentation?

Is there a Pre-Natal Vitamin that is fully W30 Compliant?

I looked for one at Whole Foods and they all had wheat or corn or something non-compliant in them. I am trying to decide my best course of action.

One of the things that led me to the whole30 is that my 2yo was diagnosed with Autism. I started him on a GFCF diet and it really helped. There are very few things I can get him to eat because he has serious sensory issues so I can't put him on a W30.

My husband and I are planning on having another baby. Risk factors for autism include, having a sibling with autism, maternal age, maternal weight and having gestational diabetes (which I had). The only thing I can control on that list is my weight and hopefully, in turn, my chances of getting GD again. I have read that women who take prenatal vitamins for 2 months before they get pregnant are less likely to have a child with autism.

I have read over and over on the forums that you shouldn't need pre-natals if you are eating W30, but if there is anything I can do to reduce the risk of my child having autism, I want to do it. I believe that doing a W30 before I get pregnant AND taking a pre-natal will both reduce my risk so I want to be able to do them both.

I was taking New Chapter Perfect Prenatals before I started the W30 (I'm on day 3). You can see what they contain here: http://www.newchapter.com/multi-vitamins/perfect-prenatal#supplement-facts

I know the organic brown rice and organic oats are non-compliant.

So, long story boiled down to a simple question: is there a completely W30 compliant pre-natal that I can take?

We are going to start trying on valentines day which will be the first day after my W30.

Kirkman Labs makes a "hypoallergenic" prenatal. I don't know the ingredients off the top of my head. It might be the closest you're going to find in tablet form, though. Have you considered taking individual vitamins, and cobbling together your own prenatal supplement plan? You might be able to be fully Whole30-friendly that way.

Good luck!

This is the one that we (and Chris Kresser) recommend: http://www.pureencapsulations.com/itemdy00.asp?t1=mvck1

It's not technically Whole30 compliant, as it contains milk and soy in the packaging of the vitamins (the capsule themselves). However, I will say that these ingredients will not have any effect on your Whole30, as they do not contain any of the potentially problematic proteins, and the needs of your baby > following Whole30 rules. I would encourage you to find these somewhere on line, as they contain the right micronutrients in the right amounts, without some of the additional stuff that you don't actually want in a multi-vitamin.

Best,

Melissa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is the one that we (and Chris Kresser) recommend: http://www.pureencap...00.asp?t1=mvck1

It's not technically Whole30 compliant, as it contains milk and soy in the packaging of the vitamins (the capsule themselves). However, I will say that these ingredients will not have any effect on your Whole30, as they do not contain any of the potentially problematic proteins, and the needs of your baby > following Whole30 rules. I would encourage you to find these somewhere on line, as they contain the right micronutrients in the right amounts, without some of the additional stuff that you don't actually want in a multi-vitamin.

Best,

Melissa

Melissa,

Is this a non-GMO vitamin? I can't tell from looking at their website. One of the things I love about New Chapter is that they are 100% non-GMO certified. I work so hard to keep GMOs out of my food, it is really irritating to me when I find GMOs hiding out in my supplements.

Mariah

• 2 weeks later...

First, the Pure Encapsulations would be the perfect choice during AND after your Whole30, so keep on taking them. As for the GMO/non-GMO, the only ingredient I can see in the vitamins with the potential of being GMO is the soy, and the amount they use and the context in which they use it is so minimal/unimportant that I really can't see it making any difference whatsoever. However, asking the company directly would be the best way to determine their stance on GMOs in general.

Best,

Melissa

I would love to hear from Melissa on this. As a physician, it scares me to see women holding off on starting a prenatal bc it's not Whole30 compliant. For me, a lot of prenatals were NOT tolerated (read:vomited up!). Folate, especially, is so so important, that I would ALWAYS recommend to start, then see what's tolerated in the Whole30 category.

I would love to hear from Melissa on this. As a physician, it scares me to see women holding off on starting a prenatal bc it's not Whole30 compliant. For me, a lot of prenatals were NOT tolerated (read:vomited up!). Folate, especially, is so so important, that I would ALWAYS recommend to start, then see what's tolerated in the Whole30 category.

Melissa commented with her recommendation, post #3:

This is the one that we (and Chris Kresser) recommend: http://www.pureencap...00.asp?t1=mvck1 It's not technically Whole30 compliant, as it contains milk and soy in the packaging of the vitamins (the capsule themselves). However, I will say that these ingredients will not have any effect on your Whole30, as they do not contain any of the potentially problematic proteins, and the needs of your baby > following Whole30 rules. I would encourage you to find these somewhere on line, as they contain the right micronutrients in the right amounts, without some of the additional stuff that you don't actually want in a multi-vitamin. Best, Melissa

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Can I ask why this pure encapsulations product is better for a prenatal that pure encapsulation actual prenatal (which is what I've been using)?

are you using this one? http://www.pureencapsulations.com/products/shop-by-product-category/view-all-by-name-81/prenatal-nutrients.html

Here are the biggies:

a) folate vs. folic acid.

B) k2.

K2's still the missing link, but also consider that by taking an additional folate supplement, you're getting folic acid PLUS folate on top of it, which I don't think is a great idea.

I haven't read the research myself, but Chris Kresser feels like folic acid on its own is problematic, for one...but he also found some data that TOO MUCH folic acid and/or folate is not good either.  Just like most vitamins and minerals, there's a U shaped benefit curve (well, an upside down U, actually). Too much is just as bad as not enough.

Given that, I'm not sure that basically taking double the amt of folate/folic acid is a good thing. I'd just pick a supplement that had all the good stuff I need, without any negatives.

Sorry to keep asking but I want to clarify as I don't want to screw it up...:)  

Is there a possibility with all the green veggies you can get too much K with taking the Nutrient 950 with Vitamin K.  I see they make one without K...but you guys are specifically saying order the one with K?

There are different kinds of vitamin k. Whole30 compliant sources of K2 are only found in animal products: foie gras, and other livers, primarily.

I wouldn't worry about overdoing any forms of vit K. Most folks are deficient. Even if you're not, high levels of A and D (which is easy to achieve eating W30 and getting a lot of sun) are protective against vit K toxicity. (And vice versa)

Short answer: I wouldn't worry about your dietary intake of K if you take that supp

Archived