Compliant Pre-Natals?

• 1 month later...

I am 10 weeks pregnant and have been taking the Pure Encapsulations for a few months.  What dosage are people taking, I haven't seen a reference to proper dosage for pregnancy on Chris Kresser or other blogs.  I started off taking the full 6 pills a day, but it made me feel very sick.  Since I've been pregnant, I've only been taking 2/day.  Just wondering what others are doing....

samad, I am also doing 2/day of the pure encapsulations (I'm 8.5 weeks). . I am personally wary of the high %'s of a lot of the vitamins in Pure Encapsulations at the recommended 6/day rate, so the 2/day lets me know I'm getting enough nutrients, especially on days when I'm having a hard time eating. I'm also taking 1/2 of a seperate folate supplement since taking a smaller dose of the Pure Encapsulations means you don't get up to the recommended folate levels.

I don't have any issues with my usual supplements, but every day I gag on those 2 pills of Pure Encapsulations. I also tend to feel sick/more nauseous for 2-4 hours after taking it, and the highlighter pee (sorry, tmi) makes me feel like I'm not even fully benefiting from them. So, I'm kind of at a loss for how I feel about pre-natals. Right now my food aversions are very strong and I can't eat nearly as well as I did pre-pregnancy (which was 95% compliant + 4 Whole30's in the last year), so I feel like they are a necessary evil.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I take Seeking Health Optimal Prenatals.  They are new on the market (I think September 2013?), and were recommended by my internal medicine doc, who has eaten Paleo herself (now she is probably more Weston Price).  They were out of stock in October for a few weeks while they were reformulating it to eliminate soy.

It has helped me immensely with my food aversions and exhaustion.  I literally feel poorly on the days I forget to bring it to work with me, and great on the days I remember - so I don't forget very often.  It has Betaine HCl to help you digest the nutrients in it, and a high quality folate.  Also, it is IRON FREE which is HUGE for me because I have Hemochromatosis and really do not need to take supplemental iron.

Highly recommended:  http://www.seekinghealth.com/optimal-prenatal-240-vegetarian-capsules-seeking-health.html

• 1 month later...

I am on day 21 of my W30 and just realized that the probiotic I'm taking has trace amounts of dairy and soy in it. I assume it's similar to what Melissa describes as an insignificant amount present in the capsule. Are my results are being blunted by this exposure!? This is my 2nd W30 and I haven't felt the surge in energy that I did the 1st time, but I am 1 month postpartum and caring for my newborn and 2 year old. So I figured the lack of energy was just from sleep deprivation, but just curious.... Should I try for a W45 now that I know I've been taking soy and dairy?

• 2 weeks later...

This is the one that we (and Chris Kresser) recommend: http://www.pureencapsulations.com/itemdy00.asp?t1=mvck1

It's not technically Whole30 compliant, as it contains milk and soy in the packaging of the vitamins (the capsule themselves). However, I will say that these ingredients will not have any effect on your Whole30, as they do not contain any of the potentially problematic proteins, and the needs of your baby > following Whole30 rules. I would encourage you to find these somewhere on line, as they contain the right micronutrients in the right amounts, without some of the additional stuff that you don't actually want in a multi-vitamin.

Best,

Melissa

Where can I purchase these if I'm not a Practitioner?

• 4 weeks later...

My friend just started her first Whole30 today and I'm trying to help her out so this is for her - her doctor recommended taking Vitafusion gummy prenatal vitamins - they are free of wheat, milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish - however, they do contain glucose syrup and sucrose. I was wondering if it would be okay for her to continue these since they are free from all of these things, I know sugar is not ideal, but the reason we eliminate is to get rid of the sugar dragon.

http://www.nnpvitamins.com/vitafusion/prenatal-gummy-vitamins.php?gclid=CIfkz7745LwCFY19OgodpVgAaQ

My friend just started her first Whole30 today and I'm trying to help her out so this is for her - her doctor recommended taking Vitafusion gummy prenatal vitamins - they are free of wheat, milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish - however, they do contain glucose syrup and sucrose. I was wondering if it would be okay for her to continue these since they are free from all of these things, I know sugar is not ideal, but the reason we eliminate is to get rid of the sugar dragon.

http://www.nnpvitamins.com/vitafusion/prenatal-gummy-vitamins.php?gclid=CIfkz7745LwCFY19OgodpVgAaQ

Doctor's orders trump Whole30, so she's ok with continuing these vitamins.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just found out I'm pregnant last week (now only 4 weeks) and I picked up a bottle of prenatals at Trader Joes. The side of the bottle says "contains no sugar, lactose, gluten, soy, wheat, or allergenic yeasts, contains no artificial flavor, sweeteners, color or added preservatives."

So since there are no noncompliant ingredients, my question would be what are the nutrients that I don't want?

• 1 year later...

I read in the Whole30 book and on a couple posts here that folate is better than folic acid (and that folic acid is potentially harmful).  Kaiser recommends a prenatal of 800mcg of folic acid so I'm feeling a bit confused.  Can some please explain what the difference is and why folate is better?  When a vitamin label says "Folate (as folic acid) 1000mcg" does this mean it's folate or folic acid?  Thanks! 

Check out Seeking Health. They have a prenatal without gluten, dairy, etc. AND they have 800 mcg of folate, not folic acid.http://www.seekinghealth.com/optimal-prenatal-240-vegetarian-capsules-seeking-health.html. This is the prenatal I take.

I'll let someone else chime in on the specifics but when someone suggests folic acid, folate will do and is likely better. Folic acid is a synthetic version of folate and not everyone can successfully convert folic acid into the folate your body needs. If you supplement directly with folate, you don't have to worry if you're converting as you're getting the form your body needs. Again, I'm sure someone will chime in with a better explanation but that's my high level understanding.

I take Dr. Furhman's gentle prenatal (available on Amazon), primarily because it does not contain folic acid. I have the MTHFR genetic mutation so I have to take the methylated form of folate (from Jarrow Formulas), which I buy separately. I'm not far along enough to have bad morning sickness, but I've been taking the prenatals for a few months now and they don't bother my stomach at all. Here are the links - as far as I can tell, they are each compliant:

http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/gentle_prenatal.aspx#supplementfacts

http://www.jarrow.com/product/635/Methyl_Folate

Archived