Alternatives to sweet potato?

Rara1982

I love them but my boyfriend is not a fan...

He's tall and skinny (6'1" and 156lb/71kg) and his family is from chile so I had a hard enough time tearing him away from pounds and pounds of rice!

Usually we are having big salads and chicken/grass fed beef for lunch and dinner but I can see him disappearing before my eyes - any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Are you looking for starchy veggies to replace the sweet potato? Butternut squash and plantains are the two I can think of off the top of my head. You can make the plantains by slicing them into one inch slices. Heat coconut oil in the pan over medium heat. Cook plantain slices in the oil for about 2 minutes per side. Take out of the oil, move to a plate, then take a glass and squish to flatten. Then, you fry them a second time! Careful - these can get away from you and burn if you are not careful!

If my directions make no sense (shocking, I know ;) ) google fried plantains.

Top with salt and pepper, or I like to take ghee which I have melted and added chopped garlic and drizzle on top. Heaven!

I should mention I'm in Australia and I'm not actually sure what a plantain is haha! I'll google it. We use pumpkin as a savoury roast vegetable not something sweet down here so I guess that's similar to butternut squash. I didn't recognise some of the things on your list Tom but I bet we just call them something different. Google here I come!!

• Moderators

A plantain is similar to a banana, but starchier. They are used in Caribbean cooking a lot.

Pumpkin is a good choice for a starchy vegetable that I forgot about. I often chop up an apple or two and cook it down with a can of pumpkin puree with a little salt, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper.

• 2 weeks later...

Argh these men! I wish I had a "disappearing" problem :P Parsnip is as starchy as sweet potatoes and is pretty inoffensive flavour wise, cassava (is that compliant?) is even starchier I think and delicious, celeriac is good.... Otherwise what everyone else said! I wish we could get plantains in Aus, I'm intrigued!

You may just have to pour oil all over all of his food if he keeps shrinking!

My husband isn't doing a whole30 but I would love some ideas on how to healthily fatten him up. He's training for a sub3hr marathon next October and is running c.150km (90+miles) a week. He's starting to look like Skeletor!

I love them but my boyfriend is not a fan...

He's tall and skinny (6'1" and 156lb/71kg) and his family is from chile so I had a hard enough time tearing him away from pounds and pounds of rice!

Usually we are having big salads and chicken/grass fed beef for lunch and dinner but I can see him disappearing before my eyes - any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey Rara,

I also adore sweet potatoes but my boyfriend HATES them because the only time he ever had them growing up was coated in brown sugar and marshmallows, sweet overload... gross

I keep trying new ways and making him taste to see if there is any way he might get over it, and SUCCESS! he likes sweet potato chips when they are really crispy hot out of the oven! Maybe try doing that and seasoning them well to see if your boyfriend might like them! :)

Good luck!

If the goal is to find a "potato like" substitute, then I second the votes for "winter squashes". I'm on day 30! Woot! And although I never really had a sweet tooth before starting whole 30 (don't hate me for that, I can't help how I was born), I have discovered that Sweet Potatoes are way too sweet for me. They taste like hard candy! Butternut squash seems to be more inline with what I gravitate toward. Even spaghetti squash is almost "too sweet" for me now.

If the goal is to bump up calorie intake, then I second the vote for "more fat"! Fat is by far the easiest way to add calories to whole 30. Avocados... Olive Oil on your salads, greens, veggies of all types. etc. Nuts are also good sources of fats and proteins. Although I know some people struggle with over indulging with them, it doesn't sound like you boy friend has that problem.

I've seen plantains from time to time (bigger than the biggest QLD bananas), but they're usually in pretty awful condition (maybe that doesn't matter?). I'd try an asian veggie grocer, pretty sure they're used in Indonesian cooking.

Ok, the scoop on plantains. These are found in the carribean and central america. When they are green cook like kb0426 suggested and they are starchy and crispy. If you slice thin you get something more chip like. The ones you see that look so awful? Buy those!!! They are perfect. When you peel them the inside will be golden or even reddish gold. Thick slice them on the bias and fry. They will cook up sweet and caramelized. They are one of my favorite things in the whole world! You can find versions of plantains from most equatorial regions so there is probably an asian equivalnet. But sometimes these varients have less starch and do not have the sweetness of a ripe plantain or are more banana like... All varients are part of the banana family.

• 2 weeks later...

If you make the sweet potato into chips and season with coconut oil and cayenne or curry powder then they aren't sweet at all. Between those, beet chips and zucchini chips I haven't even bothered to put my mandolin away!

Carrot & Swede are lush mashed together with ghee. I also do parsnip mashed with swede & ghee.

If you want a starch + fat combo - try cooked pumpkin (I prefer the Kent variety over Queensland Blue or butternut) mashed down with some coconut milk/cream stirred in. And perhaps some salt too. Nice hot or cold.

Perhaps just half or a whole avocado eaten from the skin with a spoon :-)

I was able to convince a sweet potato hater to try my sweet potato "fries" seasoned with cumin, salt, and a lot of pepper. His response? "Wow, these actually aren't too bad..." *munch*

This. I'm not a big fan of sweet potatoes, but I love them baked in spears with cumin, salt and pepper on them.

I also like them baked with cranberries and macadamia nuts tossed in. The crunch/chewy/tart works GREAT with the sweet and it's delicious.

• 1 month later...

wow I've been out of communication for awhile and just got these updates.

WELL! the sweet potato hating boyfriend is now the sweet potato mash loving FIANCE! So clearly i was doing something right!!!

he still doesnt like them as wedges but will scarf up the mash (in which i hide coconut cream to fatten him up further) like its about to disappear :)

xx

I have tried these Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Bites...they are awsome. Just wanted to make sure they are w30 compliant. I will be starting come Monday and I am trying to get my meal plan all lined out. I can see an addiction forming here. lol.. my husband loves them and he does not like sweet potatoes.

Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Bites

Bacon. That is all. Really, does anything more need to be said? Seems like everything just tastes better wrapped in bacon...dates, jalapenos, asparagus, scallops, filet Mignon...I've tried them all, why not sweet potatoes? This lovely little bit of heaven did not disappoint! Great as an appetizer, side dish or even a light meal with a salad! Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potatoes 1 Large sweet potato, peeled 4-6 slices sugar-free bacon olive oil chili powder toothpicks Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking pan with foil or parchment paper. Cut the sweet potato into 1" chunks. Slice the bacon in half crosswise and then lengthwise to yield 16-24 strips, use enough bacon to have one strip per sweet potato chunk.

img_1236.jpg?fit=440%2C330

Archived