Refined vs Unrefined coconut oil

afalast

In comparing my coconut oil brand to my dad's, we noticed that his is unrefined and has a distinct coconut smell whereas mine is refined and smells like nothing.

Is there a reason to cook with one over the other? Nutritionally speaking, is there a significant difference?

Thanks!

Nutritionally speaking, the "virgin" or less refined options impart more of the nutrition from the coconut plant (as those haven't been destroyed by the refining process), but both are healthy options for you. My family prefers the refined oil more than the unrefined because none of us are too keen on the coconut taste.

• 2 years later...

I have recently noticed that there are different maximum cooking temps on the refined vs unrefined. Based on what I have seen on the jars, the refined can withstand higher temps (if I recall correctly, unrefined goes up to about 280 degrees F and refined goes to about 360). Is that true?  I'm just thinking if I'm grilling burgers on the stove in my nifty grill pan I may need the higher temp.  Or does it really not matter??

• Moderators

I have recently noticed that there are different maximum cooking temps on the refined vs unrefined. Based on what I have seen on the jars, the refined can withstand higher temps (if I recall correctly, unrefined goes up to about 280 degrees F and refined goes to about 360). Is that true?  I'm just thinking if I'm grilling burgers on the stove in my nifty grill pan I may need the higher temp.  Or does it really not matter??

I'm not an expert on this, and what I do know I know mostly from googling and reading about different oils and reading about what smoke point is and that kind of stuff, but I think for grilling burgers on the stove, you're probably okay with either. You shouldn't be using a really high temperature for that, probably just a medium heat or lower.

If you're searing meat or doing something else that requires a really high temperature, then you'd need to use an oil that withstands higher heat.

Here's one website with a helpful graphic to show what kinds of cooking different oils are good for, but there are a ton of others, just google it.

Archived