Soooo sick of oil/vinegar for salad dressing...

jhuss22

Here is a good one, just omit the Parmesan.

Ingredients

1 tsp organic yellow mustard, or Dijon mustard (dry if it has any questionable ingredients)

Garlic powder

Celtic Sea Salt

Apple Cider Vinegar

Organic extra virgin olive oil (I use coconut)

Raw parmesan cheese, grated (optional)

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a salad shaker, and shake well!

its still basically the same but seasoned up a little helps a lot! you can add a little lemon juice in that too.

I make my own "Ranch." Homemade mayo, apple cider vinegar, coconut milk to thin. I add some crushed garlic, dill, parsley, anything that smells good to me at the time. It's delicious and EASY. Second the cumin lime dressing, too...sooooo godod!

And good grief...I don't think I'd make it very long only olive oil and vinegar dressings! They're okay when eating out, or in a pinch, but every day and I'd lose what few marbles I have left. Food that is good for you can taste ridiculously awesome!

I usually start with the mayo from Well Fed then add spices and goodies like avocado or peppers from there. The book also has lots of great ideas. I also found a recipe for zuchinni "hummus" a while back. I often use that as a base and add more goodies to it and thin it out with water a bit to use with salads.

I like to mash an avocado with some citrus juice (lemon, lime or orange) and then add salt, pepper and scallions or chives.

It isn't pourable but it's good on greens (and also on plain grilled chicken or fish).

Also love the Well-Fed Creamy Italian.

I try to be low-maintenance. Dollop of compliant mustard, some vinegar (I usually use balsamic, but use whatever you like as long as it's compliant), some oil, some herbs, salt & pepper. Mix thoroughly. Yum. I learned this approach when I lived in France, and the family I lived with would put those ingredients in the bottom of the salad bowl, mix, then make the salad in the bowl, then toss.

x-posted

I have been using a homemade mayo base to emulate creamy dressings, which is very very versatile (as others have mentioned)

I used the following tutorial to make fool proof homemade mayo. The trick is to let all of your ingredients come to room temperature, use extra light tasting olive oil (or some other neutral tasting oil of your choice), and blend with an immersion (or hand blender). I was tired of having to clean my 10 cup food processor every time I wanted to make dressing, so I went out to wal-mart and bought a $20 immersion blender and I love it!

Once you have your homemade mayo base you can throw in additional ingredients to transform it into various tasty dressings:

Caeser dressing:

Lemon juice to taste

3 garlic cloves, pressed

1-3 anchovy filets, finely chopped

salt/pepper

Avocado lime dressing:

Lime juice to taste

1-2 garlic cloves, pressed

Cilantro

1 avocado

Salt/pepper

Italian dressing:

Lemon juice to taste

FRESH sage, thyme, and rosemary, finely chopped

Salt/pepper

Ranch dressing:

Chives, finely chopped

Flat leaf parsley, fine chopped (very little is needed)

Dill, finely chopped

The list goes on...get creative! :)

I bought a salad dressing bottle on Amazon that has various dressing recipes on the bottle itself, with measurement lines (this one). Not all of the recipes on the bottle are Whole30 compliant, but I imagine you could modify most/all of them to be so. I've only made the balsamic vinaigrette recipe that's on it because I love it so much (and it's Whole30 compliant)! It's especially good if you can get fancy balsamic vinegar--the quality really makes a difference in how it tastes.

It's easy to make:

1 clove garlic (pressed, crushed, or diced small)

.5 tsp salt

.5 tsp pepper

1 Tbsp Dijon mustard

1 cup extra virgin olive oil

.25 cup balsamic vinegar

Mix all together! :)

So I tried to make my own mayo tonight, and doing it with the stick blender (immersion blender to you guys!) was a total bust....into the bin :(

Out came the whisk and metal bowl, and after 5 minutes and a sore arm, I have the most ARM-MAZING (sorry..) mayo.

So I would highly recommend giving it a go! Plus one bowl and one whisk is pretty easy to clean up.

hahaha love it. thanks for making me smile lol. I made mine with the food processor and that worked really well....Good to know it works with a whisk and a bowl.......so much easier to clean that up then the food processor! I will have to give that a try today or tomorrow. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived