Favorite new foods since starting Whole30?

mary-t

Not technically a recipe, but what are your favorite food discoveries since starting the Whole30? I'm getting tired of people telling me how "sorry" they feel for me since I'm eating such a limited diet. And I just can't get them to understand that I'm more than okay about my food options. So, I thought I'd rave about my new favorites to people who might actually understand.

So far, I have three:

1. Sauteed kale

2. Spaghetti squash

3. Seared scallops (I ate them before, but I'd never cooked them.)

Any new favorites? I'm always looking for new ideas....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to you both for some foods I'm going to try. I've been shying away from beets because they have such a strong taste raw, but I could try both the marinated beets and the beet greens if I bought some! The sweet potato with dried cranberries and nuts also sounds fantastic. (Sadly, the mayo and macadamia nuts will have to wait as I'm on the AI protocol).

Briana, I'm so glad that you can relate to the "pity party". I just want to tell them, "Look, I'm the one eating real food. Why are you commiserating with me??" It's been going on with my friends and family since I went gluten-free (almost two years ago) and I'm just tired of it.

Wholefoods has the cranberries, sweetened with apple juice!

Also on the love list is marrow bones. Yum. They're super, super rich, so I will not have them often, but they are wonderful.

Also love, love, love this chicken: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/06/09/the-best-chicken-you-will-ever-eat-ever/

:)

Set your oven to 225. Slice your zucchini very thin. Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Spray with cooking spray. Arrange sliced zucchini on pan so they are close but not touching. Spray with cooking spray. Add seasonings, I just add sea salt and garlic powder. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Take out when they resemble chips. Delish!

Nomnom Paleo's marinated beets! OMG. delicious!

Also-- I totally hear you on the pity party. I'm having a great time. I'm sorry you're eating that reheated space food from McDonalds and drooling over it. Ugh.

Had to look up the recipe... LOVE beets! Thanks! Also, had a good laugh about your "space food from McDonalds" :)

Anything coconut. LOVE coconut manna, but have to be careful. :) I have some fresh cranberries that I stocked up on at Thanksgiving, I'm going to try those on the Sweet potatoes that sounds yummy!

I have tried so many new recipes that I can't even begin to say what my favorite is.

Carolyn, thanks for the zucchini chip recipe--I'll try those this weekend. It was the cooking time I couldn't figure out (because zucchini is so moist).

Crazycow, what are marrow bones?

Am going to make cauliflower rice as soon as my current batch of spaghetti squash is used up. And I obviously need to investigate more uses for cranberries!

Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

Wholefoods has the cranberries, sweetened with apple juice!

Thanks for posting this - I'm stopping on my way home!

My favorite foods since starting my first Whole30?

avocado

bacon

hard boiled eggs

mayo

real pork sausage

I ate NONE of these foods prior to my Whole30/paleo switch and I've learned to love them all! Go figure!

Every time there is a potluck at work, I bring roasted veggies with fresh rosemary and garlic and people just rave about it. Then they question how I can eat like this. You did just taste that dish, right? Yeah, I'm suffering something awful on the Whole30! :rolleyes:

Mary-t, marrowbones will be at the butcher, usually as something they are going to pitch, and a lot of supermarkets have them in the meat section. People will get them for their dog, but my dog knows better now, lol!

• 2 weeks later...

Chocolate Chili (the clothes make the girl)

Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy (nom nom paleo)

Tostones

And one of my own - Lazy Beef Braciole

Sautee 2 cloves of garlic in olive oil. Add in a few handfuls of shredded carrots

Add chipped sirloin (or other super thin cut of beef) to the pan. Season with Italian Seasoning, and brown.

Add in 1 can of fire roasted tomatos, simmer about 20 minutes

Top with baby spinach, mix in until wilted, and enjoy :)

Avocado has been my biggest discovery - I knew that I loved it, but being able to eat it and not feel like I'm doing something wrong has been amazing.

Generally speaking, I only eat foods I love now. It's a real change from before, when I ate according to cravings or guilt.

AmyS-I made the same committment-no more foods I don't like. What a happy change!

Love the pad thai from Well Fed. Especially the Sunshine Sauce.

roasted brussell sprouts

sweet potato with ghee and coconut milk

pork chops and chicken drummies from Organic Chef Foods-always thought I hated both!

coconut curry anything

I had to come back and mention two things.

1) I am obsessed with hard boiled eggs now. I can't seem to get enough of them!

2) baked sweet potato topped with cranberries and macadamia nuts - holy cow...this has converted me to a baked sweet potato lover!!!

Homemade mayo, I hadn't made it in years.

Sardines, they were occasional before, but now I love them and eat them very day

Cooked cabbage. For some reason I didn't think I liked it.

Pumpkin in the absence of a baked good.

Kombucha

I've always enjoyed trying new things, so I like that I can keep expanding my food choices eating natural, whole, nutritious foods

Archived