spices

chrissybaby11

Personally, I love penzey's spices, but not all of those are compliant either.

Really, you just have to pick up a bottle and read the back. If it says "soy," "msg," "sugar," "wheat," "milk," etc on it, put it back.

It's really trial and error.

Are you looking for blends or stand alone spices? Most single spices are just what they say they are. The blends are where you can get ingrediants you don't want. I make my own blends and put them in cute little jars. I have a bit of a problem when it comes to jars. I can't resist them. A good rule of thumb: if the spices smell good together, they'll taste good together. Kroger sells a brand called Simple Truth Organic. They have spices. So far, I have only tried the cinnamon. It's fantastic. Google spice blends if you want some recipes. I love the mocha rub from ISWF. I have also found some good Italian sausage blends to use when making breakfast sausage. Spice blends are so easy to make and it is helpful to have them on hand for big cook days.

Found this definition:

Spice Extract is the essence of the spice representing the essential oils and the taste component of the corresponding herb or ingredient. It is used as an ingredient to replace spice powder in dishes and processed food products. The extracts are advantageous for food producers because they are uniform and standardized providing consistent flavor, color and aroma. They are also hygienic with a long shelf-life, requiring less storage space and free from contamination by microbes. They are also marketed as dietary supplements or as alternative medicine.

Here's the definition for that:

What it is: Silicon dioxide is what gets in your bathing suit and your hair at the beach. Affectionately known as sand, it's also found in food. “It's used in a lot of things as a flow agent and partly because it does a nice job of absorbing a little bit of atmospheric humidity that would cause clumping in a variety of things,†says Milkowski. Swallowing a little sand at the shore probably never hurt you and it probably won't hurt you at the dinner table either.

Where you'll find it: Salts, soups, and coffee creamer.

Gross-out factor: Low

• 2 years later...

Is Flavor God Spices acceptable?

You would need to look at the ingredients list on the label, and verify that all ingredients are compliant. If you have questions, you could post the ingredients here and we can tell you whether or not the product is acceptable.

Archived