February 2013 Starters

Kate File

Hey everyone!!

Today is Day 1 of my 2nd attempt at Whole 30! I made it to 10 days last time, and then I had a dark chocolate. Bummer. I could have glossed over it and continued, but this is about giving it your all and being honest! I am mainly looking to cure my digestive issues and sugar cravings. I've actually been eating Paleo for almost 2 months now and I haven't had an upset stomach since! This used to happen nightly, mainly terrible gas. Boy oh boy was it bad. My skin is also beginning to clear up which is amazing! I've suffered from adult acne for years (ever since I came off my antidepressant..this is the same time my digestive issues started to act up, even though I was eating healthier than ever before). Also since going Paleo my husband and I were making paleo cookies and muffins almost every other night - yikes! Definitely sugar cravings. So no more of that! : )

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm only on day 5 but already in that place where I eat simple foods like avocado, cherry tomatoes, poached eggs, raw nuts, and go "wow, this really tastes good!". And then a simple apple is like heaven. And for a sugar junkie I find this such an amazing transition!

Hi, everyone. This is day eight for me and I have to say I'm pretty excited. This is my first Whole30 and my first post. When my doctor suggested the Whole30 to me, I was certain I couldn't give up dairy. However, what she told me about the progtam sparked my interest enough that I drove 18 miles to buy ISTF. I read, planned, shopped and here I am on day 8 - compliant. I feel that the worst part is behind. Having the informative and encouraging posts of the forum are very helpful. Thanks to all.

Hi there,

Day 5 done and dusted!! Had a craptastic (great word Melissa from The Clothes Make The Girl) Crossfit workout today. Crap as I only had half the energy and fantastic 'cos I didn't use the first few days of Whole 30 as an excuse not to do the workout😄. My legs are soooo fatigued however as they say "this to shall pass"

Managed to sneak away for a few days from the loved and work which is fortunate as my inner nasty girl was hovering😄

Good luck to everybody and keep up the excellent work.

February starters ROCK😎

I started on Jan 28th so I'm on day 10. The hardest thing has been the time between lunch and dinner. I'm not really hungry but I get the urge to snack. I know keep a small fruit bowl in my office with Oranges, Apples and Bananas. It has also been a nice to see people eating my fruit instead of walking around with bagged chips or candy bars with a coke.

I hear ya sista! I feel the same way. The mindless snacking....do the "grilled chicken and steamed broccoli" test. If you are truly hungry you'll eat that. I did that the other day to determine if I was really hungry or was it just my brain tricking me...I was hungry. Part of the Whole30 is psychological so I guess that is just a habit we have to overcome. They say it takes 21 days to break a habit...I have found that olives work wonders to get that "I need a little something..."

Hi, a little late introducing myself....My first ever post on any forum! and day 8 for me, my husband and parents. We are all in need of hitting the reset button in different ways. I have been experimenting with Paleo for more than a year now and slowly old habits have been appearing slowly but surely. having to justify the goodness of cake and coffee with milk just about everyday and telling myself I can handle it and then Pizza day appears once a week I knew I had to do something before I fell off the wagon completely. I'm not looking to lose weight, actually , I could afford to put on a few kilos. Just want to be healthy and try to avoid going down the path of the rest of my family.(cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, etc...)

Best of luck to all, Kim - Cairns, Australia.

Hi All ,

First, I'd like wish all other Februarians good luck!

As an endurance athlete I've been looking to clean up my diet to improve perfromance and I'm confident Whole 30 is the program for me. As excercise is something I do regularly, I'm perosnalizing the progam to be Whole 30 with 30 (workouts in a row).

Thankfully I already drink my coffee black and only consume water so through 3 days I haven't experienced many of the unplesantries others have. My first weekend combined with a blizzard (I'm in NY) may present some hurdles but I have an ultra supportive, vegatarian wife so I'm confident we'll keep it going.

Best to all on this 30 day (and lifetime) journey!

today is day 4 for me! so far so good! i feel a little better today after the last two day of being extemely tired just feeling off and not social one bit!:) I am tired today but not as bad. I have been able to fix my family meals that aren't all whole30 without wanting a taste. although a drink of ice cold milk has been calling my name. but i have ignored it and i will continue to ignore it. i will do this program the whole 30 days. this morning for breakfast i had scrambled eggs with spinach and a slice of pineapple. it was really good! i feel full! I love having this forum so I can read other posts. it really has kept me from feeling alone! :) thanks everyone!

Hi, everyone. This is day eight for me and I have to say I'm pretty excited. This is my first Whole30 and my first post. When my doctor suggested the Whole30 to me, I was certain I couldn't give up dairy. However, what she told me about the progtam sparked my interest enough that I drove 18 miles to buy ISTF. I read, planned, shopped and here I am on day 8 - compliant. I feel that the worst part is behind. Having the informative and encouraging posts of the forum are very helpful. Thanks to all.

I felt going in like dairy would be my biggest hurdle too. I followed a fairly strict Paleo diet from August-November but dairy was always my downfall and what scared me away from the Whole30. Surprisingly though, I have found the dairy to be an easier challenge than the sugar! I had been indulging WAYYY too much in Paleo treats, apparently, and didn't realize what a sugar addict I was! I am on Day 7 now though and really feel like I can do this. :D

Good luck with your journey...sounds like you are doing GREAT so far!

I am from the lower 48. I started February 4th. On day 5, struggling with cravings today, and unhappy with self for bailing on working out 3 out of the first 4 days. I lift weights, and do cardio and triathlons. I want to redistribute body fat/muscle mass, but am more intrigued by testimonials of tendonitis and plantar facitis clearing up. I am currently undergoing PT for my shoulder and have not lifted weights in 2 months, and off running for plantar facistis. I am writing to ward off going home, in fear of napping or cheating. I am committed to seeing this through so I can get back on track with working out.

Please tell me there is a light before the end of the tunnel. I am tired today like I have not been the first 4 days!

Day 10. Getting ready to call and schedule a massage for my 2 week mark. Can't wait.

Last night I slept like a rock but am still waiting for the morning I don't hit the snooze and pop right out of bed. I live in NE Ohio and these cold dark mornings just make it so hard to get out of that warm bed at 4:30 am. I'm finding that since I rise so early I actually have to eat, like, 3 1/2 meals. I know I'm supposed to eat first thing before coffee. That is hard. Will continue to work on that. Plus, after my workouts I am hungry so that is something I need to fine tune. Trying to get a snack size meal at that ungodly early hour then meal 1 around 10-10:30. Work makes it hard because sometimes I don't get to eat lunch when I get hungry. Another thing to fine tune.

I'm also noticing a couple of my skirts are fitting looser than they did the last time I wore them. Progress. :unsure:

Hi All! Keep,posting, it is very encouraging & informative. We CAN do this!

Just winding down on day 8. Feeling good. I had a rough start, gave up a nasty diet soda caffeine habit along with the rest. Today I can say I feel great, pants seem to already be fitting in the area of the spare tire! I have maintained exercising 4x/week and my allergy congestion seems significantly less. Like Lisa, I am sleeping well but struggling with that alarm clock when it is still pitch black outside. Time will tell. Having completed a week, I KNOW I can complete the 30 days. I am periodically logging in the Whole30 forum under LaDeb, but I am documenting more on my blog (URL/address at the bottom of the post).

Keep it up!

I am from the lower 48. I started February 4th. On day 5, struggling with cravings today, and unhappy with self for bailing on working out 3 out of the first 4 days. I lift weights, and do cardio and triathlons. I want to redistribute body fat/muscle mass, but am more intrigued by testimonials of tendonitis and plantar facitis clearing up. I am currently undergoing PT for my shoulder and have not lifted weights in 2 months, and off running for plantar facistis. I am writing to ward off going home, in fear of napping or cheating. I am committed to seeing this through so I can get back on track with working out.

Please tell me there is a light before the end of the tunnel. I am tired today like I have not been the first 4 days!

Don't be too hard on yourself for not working out. It is a great achievement just to stick to the food side of this challenge. It is not good too work out when you are really tired, particulary if you already have injuries/issues. Wait for your body to adjust to your new food plan. It will be worth it and it won't take long.

Hi everybody,

So I opened the fridge last night to grab a piece of banana and asked myself "do I really need that"? Of course the answer was no😄

This morning woke at 6.30am, restless night as the weather here is very hot. High Country Victoria Australia, so dry that the lawns don't need mowing cos they are DEAD!

Took my bike to the Mansfield Rail Trail and did a 20km bike ride, was meant to be 40 however my body is still adjusting.

Great eating so far today, stopped at a cafe to have a coffee for a little pick me up with some coconut cream BLAH!! Thankfully they had herbal tea. Amazing how the taste buds can change in 6 days.

So excited by my dinner tonight-

Turkey burgers

Steamed Kale and broccolini

Baked beet root.

Yummy.

I am lovin' this forum.

Big rewards at the end of the thirty days.

Hope everybody is having an awesome day.

Stay strong and focussed and soon we will all be bouncing off walls.

👯👯👯

I felt going in like dairy would be my biggest hurdle too. I followed a fairly strict Paleo diet from August-November but dairy was always my downfall and what scared me away from the Whole30. Surprisingly though, I have found the dairy to be an easier challenge than the sugar! I had been indulging WAYYY too much in Paleo treats, apparently, and didn't realize what a sugar addict I was! I am on Day 7 now though and really feel like I can do this. :D

Good luck with your journey...sounds like you are doing GREAT so far!

Good luck to you as well, Emily. Yes, you can!

I was so tired on Day 3 today. I dd go to bed much later than usual last night (after hosting a dinner party I had scheduled before starting W30 - now that was interesting!) so maybe that's it. We're going away for the weekend so I have a lot of food packing to do in the morning (w30 for me, but not for the rest of my family). I'm surprised that I'm able to cook "the other" food for other people and yet just munch away on my own diet. It might get old in a few weeks though...

Hi All ,

First, I'd like wish all other Februarians good luck!

As an endurance athlete I've been looking to clean up my diet to improve perfromance and I'm confident Whole 30 is the program for me. As excercise is something I do regularly, I'm perosnalizing the progam to be Whole 30 with 30 (workouts in a row).

Oh, 30 with 30 sounds like a great idea!! I am on day 6 and have done a workout (HIIT) everyday. i think i'll do 30 with 30 too, if you dont mind me borrowing your idea. i have been a bit lagging in energy but I tell myself it is just mental. But I do notice my reps are more challenging.... Good luck!!

Hi everyone! I just finished day 8! There definitely been some ups and downs, but what I love most is the whole experience. I love that I'm trying something new, and in turn lots of different food! I love that while I may not be perfect with how much I'm eating, I'm trying and working toward being better. Everyday presents it's own little challenge and I look forward to taking each one head-on. It's definitely been a time of great self-reflection. I've been eating mostly paleo since I found out about it in May. I've dropped a little over 30 pounds and overall feel awesome. I have two kids, 6 and 1. I have gotten rid of everything crappy so they are eating all the good stuff too. I do paleofy things for them though like banana pancakes and cauliflower crust pizza, not for every meal though. Sometimes they have to eat what Mom is preparing for herself to eat. I'm finding each day better than the day before.!

my food log

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/7028-jessicas-whole-30-log/

I've never had a problem with exercise. Our mother taught swimming lessons so we were in the pool around the age of four and spent every summer doing endless laps and just horsing around...you know, kids. Plus I took ballet lessons from the age of 8 until high school then was on the drill team those four years and one in college. After I got married I got certified to teach aerobic and nautilus conditioning. (One of my three boys inherited the exercise gene too.) So, like I said, I've always been active.

(Some European researchers determined that differences in exercise behavior were about 60 percent attributable to genes. In other words, your parents continue to exert considerable influence over your decision about whether to be active, not just by signing you up for soccer camp when you're a kid but also by bequeathing you a genetic utge to work out--or not.) That little tidbit is from The First 20 Minutes by Gretchen Reynolds. A very good and interesting read. If you're into the whole exercise-science thing. B) She pretty much explains that HIIT is the best form of exercise. I'm a fan because you're done in 20 minutes but you should be wiped out by the end of that 20 minutes. I've also been using kettlebells for about 3 years and I also have Supreme 90 Day which is like a hybrid of Insanity and P90X. Not as insane as Insanity though, for sure. I know. I have the workout. OMG

Another good read was mentioned by someone else in this forum: Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It by Gary Taubes really dives into the science behind nutrition and about how everything they've been telling us about calories in/calories out is bogus b.s. and everything about diet they've been cramming down our throats for the past 30 years is bogus too. I'm currently reading In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan (he also wrote The Omnivore's dilemma, good book and The Botany of Desire is in the queue).

Gary Taubes says that (and science backs it up) that working out too hard or too long when you have drastically changed your diet is not a good idea. When you are hungry from working out you're inclined to eat more. Hence the calories in/calories out equation doesn't work. Eat less/work out more. Well, if I eat less I don't have the energy to work out and if I do work out it makes me hungier. Reading both of those books is a good idea. I think I've seen him pop up on YouTube too.

With that being said, I backed off on S90. I did one round last summer. Then started another round the middle of December but then got a nasty chest cold so I stopped. Once I got better I wanted to jump back in but after reading that decided to wait until three weeks in to start it back up. So, that will be the 20th. And it is a good, intense (mostly bodyweight) workout. They did have them pretty cheap at BigLots a while back. www.supremem90day.com. I'm not an affiliate or anything. I just think it's a good workout. And I, apparently, over paid for it. lol

Breakfast this morning (eating this way is definitely making me a more creative cook) was red pepper, onion, half an apple and some shredded sweet potato cooked and about 3 oz. of hamburger (that I had seasoned up previously, yum) cooked up in some coco oil then topped with an egg. Yumm-o.

Keep Calm and Whole30 On...

martihana60 has a face!

One of my puffier photos, but it shows you I have some work to do. Started Whole30 on February 5, but I'm starting to think of these first few days as "practice," so I may need to make this a Whole35 or so. Or maybe even a lifestyle.

Will continue counting up from Feb 5 as day 1, but don't be surprised if I run it a few days over.

Archived