Day 26 and disappointed

Gskupaka

Let me preface this by saying that I know I have a lot of weight to lose and health to restore. I am 27, a 100 pounds overweight with a history of Hashimoto's, PCOS (some doctors say I do, some don't), and allergies including an intolerance to the cold. In the past year, I have also started to get eczema on my fingers, but it was confined to the area. I am now on day 26 and I have had some perks. I can tell I've lost weight, because my clothes fit better and my mother says I look less "puffy." Additionally, I have slightly more energy and do not feel the need to nap in the afternoon.

However, I have not experienced "tiger blood" and my eczema has not only stayed but increased by several patches on my arms. I am not doing this program half-way, but I feel like my results are only so-so. I have even given up caffeine on this program and I drank at least 2 cups of coffee and a soda each day. My acne hasn't really cleared up either and seems to continue its normal routine. My husband has been doing this and he says he feels great, but I just feel okay. I don't feel awful anymore, but great would not be the word to describe me. I still need a lot of sleep and a lot isn't enough. I don't get up in the morning feeling refreshed. I still have cravings for sugar and I've even limited my fruit intake to no more than one serving a day. I am frustrated and don't know what else to do!!

Gskupaka -

"While radical health improvements can take place in just 30 days during the program, when you put it into context, decades of less than healthy behavior often can't compete with 30 days of Whole30. Fat adaptation (teaching your body to use fat as fuel) takes time.* Stubborn medical issues, like psoriasis, migraines, chronic pain conditions, or diabetes, can't be fully resolved with just a month of healthy eating. And an unhealthy psychological relationship with food—and the cravings, habits, and emotional ties that go along—are often the toughest battle to win."

I think this is a classic case of "not enough time". You have some significant medical issues, especially for someone your age, and it will likely take longer than 30 days for you to feel "awesome." The Whole30 is an amazing kickstart to a healthier metabolism and changed relationship with food, but it is a kickstart. It is not a one-time fix. To truly achieve the benefits of the program, this is a lifestyle you need to continue with (some folks do at varying degrees with varying results). I'd suggest checking out this article and ultimately continuing your Whole30 experience.

http://whole9life.com/2012/10/six-reasons-why-the-whole30-didnt-work-for-you/

I am sorry to hear about your struggles. They can be hard. Especially when you put so much faith in the program. I have one small question that popped out at me reading your post. I am assuming your soda you are referring to is soda water and not actually soda? Also if that is all the liquids you are consuming, you need to consume more. Weather it be tea or water, or soda water with lemon. Just a thought.

Also I'm leaning to what Robin is saying. I know we are all impatient and want results now - especially after you thought a lot of things would be resolved in 30 days. But for some people (I am one of them) 30 days is just not enough. I suffered from intense 3 - 5 day migraines. Up to twice a month. They would incapcitate me for at least 3 days. I could barely function during those days. Advil was my friend to cope. But I realized I was only slapping a Band Aid on the problem. After my first whole 30 (40) they got better - 1 1/2 - 2 days. After my second whole 30 (27) they got down to 3 - 6 hrs. So I still need to give it more time to work out. But I had so many other health benefits that I didn't doubt the science behind the program even though it wasn't until day 23 until they started peeking through. So my suggestion - stay with it for maybe another 20 days. If that is not a feasible option - break for a few days at the end of your 30 and then do another whole 30. And another note - in order to pull yourself mentally through this focus on the positive changes you have seen. Don't focus on the ones you haven't seen yet. Be a little patient. Some of us need a little more time than others. And on a side note I am 5'9" age 36 and was 255lbs. Over the course of the last 6 months and 2 whole 30's I have lost 30lbs. I still have another 40 to go but now it doesn't seem quite so overwhelming anymore.

Carlaccini - I used to drink actual soda, but now I only drink water. Lots of it. No coffee, no tea, etc. I understand what you are saying and I figured I probably need more time. It just seems like things that happen for most people in week 2 are not even close to happening to me! But, I realize that I do have some significant issues. I will try to think more positively, but this eczema is driving me crazy!

Robin - Thank you for your response. I will check out the article asap.

I am sorry to hear about your struggles. They can be hard. Especially when you put so much faith in the program. I have one small question that popped out at me reading your post. I am assuming your soda you are referring to is soda water and not actually soda? Also if that is all the liquids you are consuming, you need to consume more. Weather it be tea or water, or soda water with lemon. Just a thought.

You misread, carla :) She said that she even gave up caffeine, and she USED to drink two cups of coffee and soda all day.

OP, in addition to everything Robin said (I was in the middle of replying similarly when she beat me to it), dropping caffeine is a BIG DEAL for a lot of people. This could definitely be a contributor to things needing more time. You gave your body a HUGE shock dropping all that stuff at once!

YOU HAVE SEEN IMPROVEMENTS. This isn't always a quick fix for folks, especially when there are other considerations (autoimmunity, other health concerns, etc)

Hello Gskupaka,

I don't have any advice but wanted to empathize with you. I'm on day 16 (yay!) and while I haven't experience all of the awesome things I've read others talk about (weight "melting" off, "tiger" blood), there are things that have improved and I try and concentrate on those. For me I think it's just going to take more time than the W30 and I am mentally gearing myself up to continue on and morph this into a W90 - because that's how long I think it might take for me to actually have some definite changes.

I'm pretty sure I'll also celebrate day 31 with a glass of red wine...and then move on!

Julia

Gskupaka,

I, too, am on Day 26. I remember a great post in the forum (but can't quite locate it) that said be patient with yourself. You can't slay all of your food related demons at once - or all in 30 days. The fact that you have seen and felt changes is FABULOUS - and you are putting yourself at the top of your list.

Each day for the past week, I have gone from euphoric and feeling slim....to the next day feeling pudgy like I haven't seen enough results and somehow I have been letting sugar sneak into my food choices. But at the end of the day - I am thrilled that I made it almost 30 days without giving in to cravings and picking up a wine glass (a huge step for me).

I'm 5'9" and at the start of this adventure needed to lose 60lbs to be at a healthy weight for me. So I know your struggles! But my body doesn't ache like it used to and I'm sleeping better and I feel fabulous. I'm nervous about Day 31 - but realize it is all in my control. I don't want to go back to feeling the way I did before.

Embrace your success and give yourself more time. We are here to support you and feel free to lean on me as we both end our Whole 30!

Gskupaka,

I, too, am on Day 26. I remember a great post in the forum (but can't quite locate it) that said be patient with yourself. You can't slay all of your food related demons at once - or all in 30 days. The fact that you have seen and felt changes is FABULOUS - and you are putting yourself at the top of your list.

Each day for the past week, I have gone from euphoric and feeling slim....to the next day feeling pudgy like I haven't seen enough results and somehow I have been letting sugar sneak into my food choices. But at the end of the day - I am thrilled that I made it almost 30 days without giving in to cravings and picking up a wine glass (a huge step for me).

I'm 5'9" and at the start of this adventure needed to lose 60lbs to be at a healthy weight for me. So I know your struggles! But my body doesn't ache like it used to and I'm sleeping better and I feel fabulous. I'm nervous about Day 31 - but realize it is all in my control. I don't want to go back to feeling the way I did before.

Embrace your success and give yourself more time. We are here to support you and feel free to lean on me as we both end our Whole 30!

Thank you for your encouragement Seana! I am too nervous about Day 31 and on. Between the Superbowl Sunday and my birthday on Monday...I know I will have a "treat" but I need to make sure that I continue to keep this as the backbone of my diet. I want to get better and my husband and I want to start a family, but I have to get better before we even attempt that. It's been amazing to discover new foods that I thought I didn't like, such as, garlic mashed cauliflower which is just delicious! I am proud as well in my ability not to give into cravings. We had a giant bag of Reece cups in our freezer and guess what? We didn't eat them! However, I still have cravings and I hate it, but they have diminished by far.

O_ops! Thanks Renee! I seriously misread that one!

My eczema was one of my last ones to clear up as well. I think it depends on how long you suffered from it. A little side note - it got a little worse for me as well before it got better. I wish I could recomend something for you that helped it. But I suppose it's just going to be time.

You will get better. Unfortunately it will take some time. Best of luck to you!!!

Gskupaka,

In the past year, I have also started to get eczema on my fingers, but it was confined to the area.

I forgot to mention that I have the same eczema issue and had it since I was a kid. It got much worse week 2 of my Whole30 and then has cleared up. I suspected it might be a food allergy or sensitivity, I was eating alot of Well Fed's Chocolate Chili because it was my quickie meal "go to". It has fire-roasted tomatoes. So I took tomatoes out of my diet, and the eczema has clear up. Might help you to look at foods that you are consuming in larger quantities during your Whole30, that you might not have been consuming pre-Whole30.

If you search "eczema" in the forum - there are some good posts relating to this issue that might help you, too.

Hi guys! I stumbled across this thread while looking for folks with Eczema. I am on day 24 of my first Whole30. My eczema before I staerted with one or two spots on each leg/butt. It has gotten SO much worse since I started. It is creeping down both legs now. I feel like all I want to do is scratch my legs until they bleed. I have a steroid cream from my dermatologists, but it just seems counter to the Whole30 to be putting that on my body, so I have stayed away from it. I really need to get it under control.

Thanks Seana H, I will look at the tomatoes thing, my dad has eczema too and he has always said tomatoes make it worse. Maybe I'll cut them back and see if that helps. It stinks thought to have to remove even healthy foods from our already dimished options...And I love tomatoes :( We'll see how it goes. My goal is to make my Whole 30 as close to a Whole 60 as I can.

Hang in there Gskupaka, we all just need to be patient. My trainer's favorite saying is "Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes", so stick with it, you'll be happy you did!

GAH! OUR OPTIONS ARE NOT DIMINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at Robb's food matrix on Pg. 2: http://robbwolf.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/thePaleoSolution_FoodMatrix.pdf

This is not an exhaustive list. There are far more than 24 compliant veggies out there. Use your imagination!

Sorry, huge pet peeve. Yes, dropping tomatoes sucks if you really love them, but there are SO MANY OTHER veggies out there. It will be okay! :)

Gskupaka

Please don't give up...you've already done more than 99%. Congrats.

Now, I switch to preaching at myself!! This isn't really just a 30 challenge, it's a life change. I'm on day 29 but I am prepared for disappointment. I can't believe I will have lost any weight (especially all the FAT GRAMS I've consumed!), my clothes fit the same, I don't have any health issues that I was looking to clear up and I certainly haven't felt 'tiger blood'. I'm probably the ONLY one who thinks this but I'm going to count it a victory if I haven't GAINED weight. I'm not going to fall on my sword if things went awry and I'll be looking at this as a whole life thing, except I plan a glass of wine to celebrate making it 30 cheat free days.

I feel the same Reese. I was weighing myself for the first two weeks but had to stop because I was committed 100% but wasn't loosing. I know that I can never stop eating like this. I'm an all or nothing kind of gal. Thankfully I don't have any ailments, except for my weight. I'm 5'8 and 225 now. 60lbs is my goal. I'm pretty sure I'll just keep going once my 30 days are over.

Archived