Non-egg breakfast

Cole

You don't have to stick with the typical breakfast type of meals. I eat leftovers a lot for breakfast. I do enjoy eggs, but sometimes I just have steak and a big pile of veggies and half an avocado. To me, that is a delightful breakfast. :)

I throw any left over protein into a pan with ghee or coconut oil, onions, mushrooms and kale-sometimes sweet potato too. Depending on how hungry I am I might toss in eggs, or I might not. I've also eaten poached salmon with sauted veggies or sweet potato soup for breakfast. Changing your mindset from "breakfast" to meal 1 can be difficult but it's very freeing!

Throw your best non-egg breakfast meals at me! We are looking to shake it up, and we are finally coming around to the meal 1 way of thinking. What do you guys enjoy for breakfast other than leftovers from previous meals??

• Moderators

This morning I had stir-fried turnip greens, chopped onion, and leftover rump roast for breakfast. I thought I might eat eggs for supper, but had stir-fried chorizo sausage, chopped onions, and turnip greens instead.

I've found compliant chicken sausage and cooked with veggies it is really good. My favorite is to caramelize onion, add a fresh chopped tomato, and two big handfuls of spinach, along with a few splashes of water as needed to keep everything from sticking to the pan. It creates a sweet, almost creamy texture.

A quick on the go for breakfast that I cook the night night before for the days when I'm rushing out the door: 1 can of pumpkin, 3 eggs, 4 tablespoons of coconut flour, 1 cup of ground turkey, 1 tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice, and 1 banana all mixed together in a blender and baked at 350F in a pan greased with coconut oil for 60minutes.

I just made a recipe from the cookbook Paleo Slow Cooking that was just 2 large shredded sweet potatoes, 1 small diced onion, 1 diced red pepper (I used an orange one), 1 diced jalapeno (I used 2!) and 5 Aidels chicken apple sausages cut into bite-sized pieces. All this gets thrown in the crock pot, mixed up and cooked on low for 6 hours. The original recipe called for some other type of sausage, but I chose to use what I had on hand since it was compliant.

If your crock pot has a timer, you could totally wake up to a hot breakfast that is ready to go!

I've found that it's a good idea to try to stop thinking of breakfast as a type of meal, and just think of it as something I eat when I wake up.

With that frame of mind it's easy to just eat whatever.

This morning I had a green salad and left over (cold) grilled salmon. Some mornings I'll just have a salad. Even when I do eat eggs, which is often, I always include greens of some sort.

This morning I had a huge bowl of steamed brussel sprouts, a handful of grape tomatoes, 3 chopped hard boiled eggs and a couple spoonfuls of homemade mayo. YUM! Kay, it did have eggs, but I love having veg at breakfast--and I have leftover meat from dinner if I don't do eggs. Tonight I am making taco salad, and am planning on having taco salad for breakfast tomorrow.

Well, since I get tired of eggs too, I make a pumpkin "souffle". Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour 2 cans pumpkin, about 4 eggs beaten, 1/4 - 1/2 can coconut milk, pumpkin spice or cinnamon, clove & nutmeg into a blender and blend until fluffy. Pour into greased casserole dish with a cover, bake for 45 minutes. Serve with some coconut milk and some blueberries, with sausage patties. It reheats well in a microwave.

I wasn't thinking that pumpkin and yams count as a vegetable! I've been forcing myself to eat green type veggies every morning for breakfast.

I've had to work on the same mentality. I keep thinking we haven't had veggies if a green one isn't involved but that just isn't true. We love mushrooms and now we go through 2-3 of the large packages from Costco each week.

I like to do an onion, mushroom, red bell pepper saute, sometimes wilting a touch of spinach at the end and sometimes skipping it. Often I have shredded carrot or yam around and I dry them as best I can and do a quick saute until they brown. Yum.

I just had a baked salmon fillet with steamed kale and zucchini. Yesterday I had a burger with avocado, cauliflower, and broccoli. The day before that I had a large salad with tuna. As others have said above, try to ease into the idea that you don't have to have "breakfast" foods (or "lunch" or "dinner"). Just eat good food! :)

Since I'm allergic to eggs, breakfast is a struggle and when people want to go to breakfast, I've found myself either offering to make it or conning people into going to brunch where I can get a salad instead.

Currently, I saute a bunch of whatever veggies I have on hand (brussel sprouts, broccoli, kale, bell peppers, etc.) with compliant chicken sausage and/or ground turkey/beef. Sometimes if I have a lot of workouts planned, I'll toss in some sweet potato. I find that if I make it on Sunday night and pack it in containers, I can usually make it through Thursday - just grabbing it on my way out and eat it at work. Then I eat whatever left overs I have on Friday morning.

Some of the ideas here are very helpful as I'm also in need of new variations, thank you!

Sweet potatoes and butternut squash do for sure. I'm not sure about pumpkin - it's a close relative of the squash, so maybe it's a fruit-veggie?

My latest favorite was yesterday's meal. I slow-cooked a brisket overnight, woke up and ate two slices of that with a over-medium/over-hard (let it go too long, but it was still a little goopy) fried egg and sweet potato mash. I feel like I need to branch out in my breakfast veggies, but I'm gun shy after my last big veggie prep turned out pretty terribly until I let it start molding in my fridge... :ph34r:

Tomorrow I'm finishing off my (homemade) chicken sausage/apple/sweet potato hash with an egg or two scrambled into it.

I went through the stage of being fed up with eggs too.

I made a garlic-less version of just the meatball part of this recipe a couple of times.

I also sometimes make a plain version with just pork mince, salt, pepper, nutmeg & ground sage. This can also be made in to patties (hubby prefers them like that). Also a version with a few chopped pistachios and un-sweetened cranberries.

Another idea is grilled/pan fried chicken breast. I've had it for brekky with avocado & with several sorts of salsa. Done coconut-crumbed breast strips once too which were delish but a bit too fiddly.

I keep meaning to try something based on the 'moroccan' chicken in the recipes part of the book - perhaps with coconut milk, cinnamon etc.

Chrissybaby, that *oatmeal* sounds like something I'd definitely like to try when I'm not on a W30. On a W30, I'm afraid I'd find it too difficult to fit in with the meal template http://whole9life.co...ng-Template.pdf

FWIW - I agree this "Don't call it Oatmeal" doesn't fit a mean template, because it lacks protein and vegetables. But it does match the fruit and nuts component. So... if you made that as half your meal, and included an egg or two and filled the rest of your plate with vegetables. Then you'd be good to go. Don't you agree?

Archived