Non-egg breakfast

Cole

We- ell, personally I'd still have a few issues with it. Firstly this thread was non- egg breakfasts so adding an egg kinda defeats the purpose - no? :) Seriously if eggs are your protein component it's as many as you can hold in your hand. I don't know any adult who can only hold one or two eggs. Heck I'm 5' 5" and I can manage 3 or 4 :D. If you're having your full complement of protein, fat and veg then that should be enough to satisfy you, if it isn't, are you eating enough of it? Fruit and nuts are allowed but not necessary and almonds are on the list of those best limited. The portion size of nuts is one closed handful. A closed handful of almonds, for me, would make nowhere near one cup of meal.

Also almond meal is allowed as a binder or coating. It's not recommended to be used in baking to paleofy recipies. Now this isn't baked in the oven, it's cooked on top of the stove but I really think thats splitting hairs. I know we've had a whole other thread about SWYPO and how it's individual for everyone but W30 is designed to break your old habits and help you build a completely new relationship with food. This recipie sounds delicious but I can't see it as anything other than an attempt to recreate a hot cereal breakfast. Eating it, for me, would be an attempt to hang onto old habits and not allow that new relationship to develope.

If you're going to the time and trouble to do a W30, you deserve to get the best possible result from it. This means embracing the program, embracing the guidlines. They're there for a reason - because they work. Now, post W30, as I believe you are, that's a whole nother ball game and if you'd rather have this than go back to oatmeal that's totally your call and, yes, it does sound delicious :)

We- ell, personally I'd still have a few issues with it. Firstly this thread was non- egg breakfasts so adding an egg kinda defeats the purpose - no? :)

Duh! I'm an idiot. Yes of course!!!

If you're going to the time and trouble to do a W30, you deserve to get the best possible result from it. This means embracing the program, embracing the guidlines. They're there for a reason - because they work. Now, post W30, as I believe you are, that's a whole nother ball game and if you'd rather have this than go back to oatmeal that's totally your call and, yes, it does sound delicious :)

Fair enough... I agree. I totally understand and agree with the idea of breaking down the barriers most people have in their minds about what "food" should be eaten at particular "meals".

I see my wife and kids and their ideas about what "breakfast" must be. And when I started eating greens for breakfast (several years before I even heard of Whole30), they looked at me like I was crazy. But I said, "Hey, I like this, and I know it's good for me... you should try it."... I haven't convinced them to try it yet, but I know that I can't force them... and since they eat relatively healthy (compared to most Americans) I don't want to push and cause an overreaction. But this is off topic of the thread....

When I get sick of eggs, I switch to a pre-cooked compliant sausage (cold), hard boiled egg, a hand full of nuts, and sometimes a small bit of fruit (raspberries, or a x-small apple). I can take it in baggies and drive to work, if I have to. Sometimes its just heated left overs, chicken or beef stew, or whatever was last nights dinner leftovers.

My worst issue is feeling slightly queezy first thing, so a brazil nut or two immediately on waking is enough to make me hungry in 10 minutes (otherwise I dont feel hungry until 10am or later!). Im not sure if this "nut-encouragement" is whole-30-legal or not. Anyone know?

I made both fish broth, from shrimp shells, and chicken broth this week and turned them both into delicious soups packed with veggies and cod/chicken. I cannot eat fish soup in the morning, but chicken soup is great. Easy on the system. Leftover curry is another breakfast favorite. When I don't have leftovers, my go to is a can of sardines (I keep at least 5 cans in the fridge at all times), avocado, and veggies. Why I can eat sardines and not fish soup, I do not know. :lol:

Pumpkin souffle sounds good, Ill be trying that, with fresh pumpkin of course, not sure if it even comes in a can ;-) Sorry guys I am not sure if you are all in America or UK, but In Aus we don't generally have breakfast like that and its really hard for me to stomach and I am not really into eggs, so doing the w30 the only meal that is a struggle is breakfast. I am finding it hard to get idea's and one thing for sure rolled oats will be back in my diet at the end of this. -_-

• 10 months later...

Just started my second W30. I know this is an old thread and I thought I'd throw my two cents in there FWIW. Agree with what many have stated regarding sautéed veggies and meat. I usually have ground pork, beef, chicken or lamb cooked up with onion in the fridge and ready to be added to whatever veggies I have on hand. I also have a large supply of Penzey's spices so it's easy to change up flavors for either lunch or breakfast. My favorite is fox point (also great on eggs… I know, this is a "non-egg" thread! ) and I also highly recommend Turkish on both (ah, eggs) as well as mashed sweet potato sautéed in CO or ghee until it's nice and crispy. This morning I had chicken, diced apple, shredded sweet potato and a healthy dose of apple pie spice. Yum. 

Kirsteen - if you're still out there - what is SWYPO? I still feel like a newbie… 

• 4 weeks later...

My usual breakfast is a sweet potato with coconut oil and leftover protien.  I always plan ahead to cook extra so I have meat for breakfast for a couple days.  Also, I bake the sweet potatoes three or four at a time, then reheat for a couple minutes in the microwave, then smash the heck out of them and mix in the coconut oil.  I like the texture better that way - very creamy. 

I will also add a banana or some cherry tomatoes or some berries with coconut milk, or some carrot sticks or whatever sounds good if I feel especially hungry. 

This is absolutely the best thing I have eaten in a LONG LONG time!  

This is my version of breakfast hash

2 pounds of turkey sausage 

(I make my own a few days before I need to cook with it - sage, thyme, rosemary, red pepper flakes, onion & garlic powder and 2 capfuls of vinegar)

2 yellow onions diced

3 sweet potatoes diced

3 carrots sliced 

2 bell peppers (red yellow or orange)

1 apple diced

1 bag spinach (or about 2 cups of whatever greens you might have left over in the fridge - cooked)

Cook the meat and remove from pan...In coconut oil, sautee the onion for a bit, then add all veggies & the apple but not the spinach. Cook until the sweet potato is soft - about 15 minutes.  add the baby spinach, cook down a bit then add the meat to the pan and let it all cook together for five minutes or so. 

I separate this into 4 Tupperware containers and then when its time to eat I top it with a small spoonful of coconut oil and salt and pepper...

I eat this nearly every day for breakfast and I never get tired of it!

• 2 years later...

Archived