Day 30 Train Wreck

Seana H

I LOVED my first Whole30! Yesterday was Day 30. I feel better than I have in years - and achieved pretty good results. Lost 9lbs, 1" off biceps, 2" off "jelly belly", and 1.5" off each thigh. Clothes fitting loose, and I was able to wear a pair of jeans yesterday that I couldn't even zip 3 months ago. :D

Then....I crashed and burned. My emotional eating/drinking demon woke up on the couch and said "are you kidding? You can't hide from me!" :ph34r:

I had planned a girls night with my good friend who is a Paleo eating guru. Was planning to enjoy 1 glass of wine as a "i made it" celebration. (should note here....I have planned on staying compliant post Whole30 with only a reintroduction of a small amount of sugar in coffee, and 2 glasses of wine a week).

Then....I received a hurtful e-mail from a good friend that is upset with me. I was floored. That on top of a stressful day looking for a dog to add to our family - and I caved.

Had 3 glasses of wine, then came home and heated up a piece of cheese pizza that was in the fridge. Ate the pizza standing at my kitchen counter at 9pm then went to bed. This morning, I woke up at 5am, couldn't sleep, feel nauseous and have the worst headache. (Not to mention I feel like I'm doing the "Walk of Shame")!

I obviously cannot be trusted to ride my own bike quite yet. Not even with training wheels. So I am going right back into a second Whole30. Can't say I'm extending since I made such stupid choices last night.

Bummer. :(

I totally admire your attitude of jumping right back in. Don't beat yourself up, don't be hard on yourself, it's not the *walk of shame* and you didn't fail. You just had one massive learning experience. You're now making a really good choice and will continue to eat healthy, so good for you.

• Moderators

I'm with Kirsteen here. You made it 30 days. You completed the course. You just went off-roading farther than planned. It is a learning experience. You just need more time in the center before you explore the edges again.

Seana, I think its so wonderful that you are taking care of yourself and jumping right back into another Whole30. I can sympathize with your experience. Yesterday I bought some stone ground dark chocolate. After I ate not one triangle, but three, I dumped it in the trash because I knew I wouldn't be able to stop myself.

We all have lessons to learn! Good luck on the next leg of your adventure.

Seana,

To use your analogy, the train made it to the destination; you just tripped and fell getting off the train. Remember to celebrate your arrival without guilt! You had a hand in tripping; stress and life presented itself in a cruel way. But you ARRIVED.

Every lesson - even the hard ones - are something you have learned that you can add to your suitcase for the next time you travel.

Congrats on your 30 days!

"I obviously cannot be trusted to ride my own bike quite yet. Not even with training wheels. So I am going right back into a second Whole30. Can't say I'm extending since I made such stupid choices last night."

Seana, i've done a very similar thing! My gluten test ended up in a virtual binge :unsure:

I'm starting again tomorrow (well, from now really, as my evening meal will be compliant!).

Here's to jumping back on the Whole30 Train!!

Seana,

I was just about to go post something about looking at where I am in my journey versus where I see myself right now. When I look at my present state of mind or choices or emotions, I could easily call myself a great big bonehead for all the "failings" I see. We always see where we can do better, which is a good thing if we keep it in context. When I look at where I have come in last 10 days, 30 days, 6 months, 6 years.... Well, I see that I am better today than I was yesterday. Because I've learned, grown, taken chances, seen where I can go and where I never want to go back to.

Don't let tripping override the whole journey.... And many blessings as you keep on keeping on:)

Honestly, if there was wine and pizza in my kitchen I would have a hard time not drinking and eating it. You did 30 days, you completed your first goal. I would set some higher goals for yourself this time around, such as, when you're done with this 30 take another 10 days before you have wine, or something like that. Also, I totally get wanting to give yourself a reward for completing a goal but rewarding yourself with wine will never end good! A friend of mine said when I complete mine I should reward myself with new work out clothes, a movie, new sheets.... whatever I want! Just not food. I think the Whole9 program is really helping me see that.

All this is about is making healthy choices..... Guess what? You did! Would have been all to easy to say screw it all and go on a ten day eating frenzy, but you did the healthy thing and jumped back on!!!

Congrats to you.... As I tell my self all the time and a great line from " it's complicated"......... " so this is how grow ups act".

Thank you to all!!! Such great support, which I new I could count on when I post my "confession" of my end!

I'm back on Day 1 and starting strong. I just keep thinking "I don't want to feel physically yucky after experiencing the great feeling during the last month."

Here's to all of us being on the right track! :) :)

I did a very similar thing! I finished my whole30 last thursday and I didnt get the results I was looking for in the 30 days energy levels wise but I decided to just keep on moving forward. My little sugar and bread dragon peeked its head and said hey you dont feel too shabby just have a little bit of something but I ignored it at that point. I was going to reintroduce something over the weekend I just didnt know what and I ended up reintroducing EVERYTHING. I felt physically sick on sunday so I am back to eating paleo and will start my 2nd whole30 with my gym on Feb 17th. We cant change years of bad eating habits in 30 days so just remember that this is all a learning experience :) I have to remind myself of this everyday when I make the decision to feed my body food that will make it function right and nourish it.

Archived